CrazyBoards.org

Seriously.  

Toby read a piece (a couple of days ago, before this) that the US was already in a civil war, just without opposing armies.  Stuff like this makes me think, yes, that's correct.

The CBC (Canadian) reporter just got surrounded by 'protestors' (if I may refer to those dicks like that) and the CBC cut her feed to get her out of there.

5 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

this is insanity.  I'm going to take a pause from work in order to watch the news for 10 minutes. 

My boss told us it's ok if we can't focus because of the news today, it's ok to take work time to watch, and cancelled our meetings because it was too upsetting for everyone.  I think he went up a few notches in my opinion.  However, I also cannot watch any longer.  So many "that will never happen" things have happened this year my OCD brain that needs control over everything is close to melting.

that's a really good response.  My former employer did things that were similar (II separated from them for entirely different reasons).  My current employer is largely about physical safety (making sure that people who work in DC don't do it and work from home).  Now that we're all out of the building, they're starting to worry about ore emotional stuff.

@Gearhead - Did you notice - He said "Three billion bits of well-done steak". There were only three billion of us then. Now we're pushing eight billion, and the world is a far, far bigger human powderkeg than it was back then. And on Wednesday one imbecile lit a fuse just because he could.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of a fitting end to Trump's Presidency. Horrific and embarrassing. If America was founded after the tea party that seemed more like a meth party. I never thought Trump was like Hitler, Mussolini maybe, but what's more worrying is that there's people who support him despite hearing the nonsense he's come out with for four years, because it's fake news and your country is run by satanic pedophiles. He doesn't have the intelligence or ideological motivation of Hitler, luckily, he was just a dumb narcissist who thought everyone who isn't him is inferior and needed constant validation from whatever source it came from. White supremacists like me? Well there are good people on both sides. More worrying than the tangerine fuckwit is that people supported him and attempted a poorly organised coup in his name. There's an audience there for racist, anti-democratic conspiracy theorists which someone more intelligent that Trump could exploit. I hope not. Just a historical blip which future generations will be able to laugh about. Covfefe. Maybe impeachment is a bad idea. Best way to punish him would be to ignore him, because little Donny thrives on attention. I'm not American and I know the British political landscape is far from perfect. Don't get me started on that shit. So glad this fucker got fired.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

Maybe impeachment is a bad idea. Best way to punish him would be to ignore him, because little Donny thrives on attention.

No. The impeachment is absolutely necessary. It’s not about punishing him personally - the last one certainly didn’t leave him any humbler - but rather, it is intended to accomplish two critical things. 1: To demonstrate that there are consequences for any Chief Executive for failing to uphold the Constitution; and 2: To disqualify Trump from ever holding any public office again, and thus prevent him from fomenting rebellion on the promise of a return to power in four years. For the latter to work, the Senate must convict him, and this is still uncertain, but not hopeless.

Those men and women who breached the Capitol are in rebellion against the Constitution and must be treated as rebels. The oath I took on entering Federal service was to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic - they are the definition of domestic enemies of the Constitution. For those in other countries who don’t quite grasp Americans’ obsession with our Constitution, it is the absolute bedrock foundation of our society, the guarantee of our rights and freedoms, and has endured for 245 years because it works to keep a vast and diverse nation in the control of its people rather than autocrats and tyrants.

Ironically, one of our most heinous rebels, John Wilkes Booth, as he assassinated President Abraham Lincoln, cried, “Sic semper tyrannis!” - Thus always to tyrants! He had it wrong. Today, this is the way it must be done. The impeachment is necessary. Sic semper tyrannis, Donald Trump.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 12:19 AM, Cerberus said:

No. The impeachment is absolutely necessary. It’s not about punishing him personally - the last one certainly didn’t leave him any humbler - but rather, it is intended to accomplish two critical things. 1: To demonstrate that there are consequences for any Chief Executive for failing to uphold the Constitution; and 2: To disqualify Trump from ever holding any public office again, and thus prevent him from fomenting rebellion on the promise of a return to power in four years. For the latter to work, the Senate must convict him, and this is still uncertain, but not hopeless.

Those men and women who breached the Capitol are in rebellion against the Constitution and must be treated as rebels. The oath I took on entering Federal service was to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic - they are the definition of domestic enemies of the Constitution. For those in other countries who don’t quite grasp Americans’ obsession with our Constitution, it is the absolute bedrock foundation of our society, the guarantee of our rights and freedoms, and has endured for 245 years because it works to keep a vast and diverse nation in the control of its people rather than autocrats and tyrants.

Ironically, one of our most heinous rebels, John Wilkes Booth, as he assassinated President Abraham Lincoln, cried, “Sic semper tyrannis!” - Thus always to tyrants! He had it wrong. Today, this is the way it must be done. The impeachment is necessary. Sic semper tyrannis, Donald Trump.

I don't disagree with that. Just that the orange dummy thrives on attention and the worst way to punish him would be to forget him. Though seeing him behind bars would also be good. Justice should be blind and not have special exceptions for punishing narcissists so yes he should be held to account. Writing this I looked up and saw the Trump caganer statue I picked up in Barcelona. Cagener means "shitter" I think. Looks like this.

caganer-donald-trump.jpg

10 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

Writing this I looked up and saw the Trump caganer statue I picked up in Barcelona. Cagener means "shitter" I think. Looks like this.

caganer-donald-trump.jpg

Your statement above, if I read it aright, seems to indicate that one of these odious effigies is actually present in your home. This distresses me on multiple levels. First, it distresses me that our nation has fallen so low that our leader was reviled to that extent abroad. Second, it distresses me that someone in Spain devoted the time, creative energy, and resources to manufacture that object. Third, and perhaps most keenly distressing, is that you saw it and then actually spent your actual money to purchase it. Quite aside from the dubious reflection this casts upon your aesthetic sensibility, it suggests that you may wish to give some trusted person the stewardship of your funds, at least until you regain your sanity. I suspect that you could have spent the same amount on a piece of dung of a size and weight equal to that statue and secured a better value for your money. But that is, admittedly, a subjective assessment.

9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Your statement above, if I read it aright, seems to indicate that one of these odious effigies is actually present in your home. This distresses me on multiple levels. First, it distresses me that our nation has fallen so low that our leader was reviled to that extent abroad. Second, it distresses me that someone in Spain devoted the time, creative energy, and resources to manufacture that object. Third, and perhaps most keenly distressing, is that you saw it and then actually spent your actual money to purchase it. Quite aside from the dubious reflection this casts upon your aesthetic sensibility, it suggests that you may wish to give some trusted person the stewardship of your funds, at least until you regain your sanity. I suspect that you could have spent the same amount on a piece of dung of a size and weight equal to that statue and secured a better value for your money. But that is, admittedly, a subjective assessment.

I didn't mean to cause any distress. They're a tradition in Catalonia and I think originally appeared in nativity scenes. Strange for a Catholic country, although "me cago en dios" is apparently a common curse. They make them for all prominent figures and it's not targeted specifically against Trump or America. You can also buy a Pope cagener and a Jesus caganer. Just a quirky local tradition that knocks the rich and powerful down to size, and I picked up the Trump one not because I hate Americans but because I hate that American. It was either Trump or Darth Vader. Really didn't mean to offend you. Not even the most offensive souvenir I picked up in Barcelona. There was this fridge magnet which I bought, had Barcelona written on the shaft and a woman sitting on it. My aesthetic sensibility might be poor, you're probably right there, but I didn't mean to cause distress Cerberus. I probably have an immature sense of humour. I mean come on, Marilyn Monroe! That's funny right?

marilyn-monroe.jpg

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I suspect that you could have spent the same amount on a piece of dung of a size and weight equal to that statue and secured a better value for your money.

How much work are you willing to put into it?

https://go.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/polishing-a-turd-minimyth

5 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

I've actually spent more on a piece of dung. I bought a coprolite necklace. Coprolite = fossilised dinosaur turd. I found the idea that a turd can be polished inspiring. Poor aesthetic sensibilities? Yeah probably. Not sure if coprolites are mentioned in the link you posted Gearhead. Geo-blocked.

In...nativity...scenes.

I just - 

I’m trying to comprehend the human state of mind that would generate that as an original concept, and I’m coming up blank.

Don’t misunderstand the nature of the distress I indicated above - it’s purely an expression of aesthetic dismay, and a conceited one at that. I apologize for casting aspersions on your personal taste. If I find Monty Python hilarious but disdain Benny Hill as lowbrow and vulgar, that says everything about me and nothing about someone who thinks Benny Hill is funny. (I have no idea of your opinion either way.)

If these objects are a common part of the culture there, it only makes me wonder what thing we do locally here where I am that people elsewhere would look at and think: Weirdos.

• 2 weeks later...