CrazyBoards.org

Nothing has worked. Every drug I’ve tried makes things worse. I hate being alive. There’s just anxiety
I can’t kill myself as it would destroy my kids and wife’s lives. But other than that preventive factor I don’t see the point 

I don’t understand how people cope. 

what keeps you motivated?

Posted (edited)

I've recovered before, so I'm likely to eventually recover again.  That's over a pretty long period of time with multiple episodes (and types of episodes).  It doesn't work for everyone. 

Edited by dancesintherain

18 hours ago, Alexander search said:

Nothing has worked. Every drug I’ve tried makes things worse. I hate being alive. There’s just anxiety
I can’t kill myself as it would destroy my kids and wife’s lives. But other than that preventive factor I don’t see the point 

I don’t understand how people cope. 

what keeps you motivated?

If you feel comfortable sharing--Are anxiety and depression the main things you're trying to treat?

Also, if you feel comfortable sharing, what meds have you tried?

Coping is not easy for me, personally.......I do have family members and friends that are supportive.....I know it's not easy, but I think as long as I'm alive, there is hope.......Do you have a therapist you can talk to?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Anxiety, depression , very bad ocd, irritability & anger. 

ive tried every SSRI & SNRI. Currently on pregabalin, citalopram & diazepam. 

not long completed a second CBT course. Psych wants to try a low antipsychotic but I’m extremely wary as I’m struggling with weight & have ongoing gastrointestinal problems(gastroparesis) made worse by being overweight. 

ive been under psychiatric supervision since I was 9. I’m now 48. - but I function. I run a business with my wife. But underneath it’s always been the same. 

I think I’m tired now of it. The only reason I’m still here is because of the devastation I’d leave behind

15 hours ago, Alexander search said:

Anxiety, depression , very bad ocd, irritability & anger. 

ive tried every SSRI & SNRI. Currently on pregabalin, citalopram & diazepam. 

not long completed a second CBT course. Psych wants to try a low antipsychotic but I’m extremely wary as I’m struggling with weight & have ongoing gastrointestinal problems(gastroparesis) made worse by being overweight. 

ive been under psychiatric supervision since I was 9. I’m now 48. - but I function. I run a business with my wife. But underneath it’s always been the same. 

I think I’m tired now of it. The only reason I’m still here is because of the devastation I’d leave behind

Many people can take low doses of antipsychotic without substantial effect on weight. Neither abilify or rexulti, two of the most common for depression, changed my weight at low doses 

29 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Many people can take low doses of antipsychotic without substantial effect on weight. Neither abilify or rexulti, two of the most common for depression, changed my weight at low doses 

Perhaps I should give it a try

did they help?

17 hours ago, Alexander search said:

Perhaps I should give it a try

did they help?

Well I was using them for bipolar, so I’m not sure my experience exactly aligns with your situation. I was in horrible shape when I tried abilify and I don’t think anything would have worked. Rexulti lifted me a little after starting for bipolar depression. There is definitely evidence for using them as a “next step” in depression when the first line tries dont work. Abilify and rexulti are the ones I’d look at first, but there are others like seroquel and some used off label less frequently (like Vraylar) 

curious- I know you said all the SSRI and SNRI but does that include bupropion, mirtazapine and trintellix? 

16 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Well I was using them for bipolar, so I’m not sure my experience exactly aligns with your situation. I was in horrible shape when I tried abilify and I don’t think anything would have worked. Rexulti lifted me a little after starting for bipolar depression. There is definitely evidence for using them as a “next step” in depression when the first line tries dont work. Abilify and rexulti are the ones I’d look at first, but there are others like seroquel and some used off label less frequently (like Vraylar) 

curious- I know you said all the SSRI and SNRI but does that include bupropion, mirtazapine and trintellix? 

They don’t prescribe bupropion in the uk, except I think short term for quitting smoking. 

Mirtazapine, trazodone, clomipramine and reboxetine were tried as well. All gave me either paresthesia or insomnia. I seem to have become sensitive to side effects unlike my early twenties. 

I’ll ask the doc about trintellix. 

thanks for answering

For what it's worth, I actually had a reduced appetite and lost weight on Abilify, and it helped with depression symptoms.   Trintillex also helped a little and no other SSRI's have done me any good.  The cost for both was a barrier for me, but I am in the US and my insurance won't pay for squat so you might have better luck.

Pregabalin is a major factor in weight management for me. I’m on 600mg & can just about control my urge to binge. As soon as something else is added to the pot my appetite goes through the roof. I’d drop pregabalin if it weren’t so effective at managing intrusive thoughts. It doesn’t stop the frequency of them but it does stop the intensity of them. Whereas things would hang around on average for 2 weeks , pregabalin drops it to about 3 days. Helps calm me too.  It’s tricky.  

I know most of us here are in a similar boat

I was depressed from childhood on. I took so many meds. Finally on abilify and lamotrigine combo and not depressed in a long time. I will say that I probably had some unrecognized bipolar issues although I felt depressed throughout those times. At any rate I had been told some people are just depressed and treatment resistant and was offered ECT, which I declined. Nothing worked until this and honestly it feels like a miracle. So I tell people in case anyone else can benefit somehow. Also abilify hasn’t affected my weight or appetite. I still have weight issues but not any worse. Actually I had been on abilify plus some AD and it did help somewhat but for some reason I didn’t like the idea of it or some such thing. I hope it’s helpful to you. I was into my 50’s before my depression got treated right, if that helps.