CrazyBoards.org

My best dog ever has a terminal cancer. We tried treatment briefly but it clearly didn’t work and now he refuses to go out the door to go to the vet, so I found a home hospice vet. She helped me figure out I haven’t been recognizing signs of pain and worsening. In the last couple days things have gotten worse despite increasing meds. It’s hard because he has some moments each day that don’t seem so bad but I see now that I don’t want every single minute to be misery. So I need to make an appointment for a final home visit. In covid era that’s not an easy task believe me. I’ve waited too long with other dogs and don’t want to do that again. I’ve decided this is the week. It breaks my heart. Losing a dog is harder for me than when my brother died last year. But I need to do right by my dog, he’s always been there for me and he’s counting on me now. I know not everyone loves dogs and may not understand, but this is hard, making a decision about a life as well as losing a pet I’m closer to than a person. 

Totally understand, and I'm so sorry you're going through this.  In the past with similar situations people have told me that I'm making the kindest and most loving decision, which is absolutely true, but it doesn't make it any less hard to take on board.  My thoughts are with you.  I'm glad that you had the blessing of such a wonderful dog in your life, and he has been equally blessed to have you as his human.

It's an incredibly hard decision to make.  But Mia is right, you're making the kindest and most loving decision.  I'm glad your guy can be at home.  Thinking of you ❤️ You're doing the right thing.  

i lost my childhood dog in october. not cancer, just old age, but she woke up one morning unwell and i could see that it was the end. it's such an intensely painful decision to make. the fact that it needs to be done doesn't make it easier. you're right, though -- he's counting on you to see him through to the end. doing it at home is a good option to have, and allows him a peaceful, kind, and dignified goodbye.

take gentle care of yourself. you're not just grieving for a dog, you're grieving for a friend. it hurts like nothing else.

Edited by echolocation
typo
On 1/18/2021 at 9:37 AM, sugarsugar said:

My best dog ever has a terminal cancer. We tried treatment briefly but it clearly didn’t work and now he refuses to go out the door to go to the vet, so I found a home hospice vet. She helped me figure out I haven’t been recognizing signs of pain and worsening. In the last couple days things have gotten worse despite increasing meds. It’s hard because he has some moments each day that don’t seem so bad but I see now that I don’t want every single minute to be misery. So I need to make an appointment for a final home visit. In covid era that’s not an easy task believe me. I’ve waited too long with other dogs and don’t want to do that again. I’ve decided this is the week. It breaks my heart. Losing a dog is harder for me than when my brother died last year. But I need to do right by my dog, he’s always been there for me and he’s counting on me now. I know not everyone loves dogs and may not understand, but this is hard, making a decision about a life as well as losing a pet I’m closer to than a person. 

Just want to offer my heartfelt support. I've gained more comfort from animals than any human could offer. Dogs are just the most loyal, selfless companions. Let yourself grieve for however long it lasts and don't feel ashamed for the grief you feel for your best friend. Try to find comfort in the love & care that you provided, and when the time comes, envision him in doggy heaven. I'm sure you gave him the best life! And maybe in the future, you can adopt another dog who needs love.

So glad I opted for indoor appointment, not the one where I had to get my dog outdoors somehow. He had a peaceful passing and seemed to be ready from his look. My heart is so broken but I made the right decision, if anything, waited a few days too long—but I kept him as comfortable as I could with many drugs as I had available. This dog never let me down and was always there for me. It’s true dogs love you like humans never can. I am not one to cry but find myself tearing up whenever I think of him.