CrazyBoards.org

I got these disability checks and I haven't even deposited them. I feel like my illness is invisible and a fraud for some reason. Like I should pretend it doesnt exist and just work and bear it. I may just drop this and apply for unemployment insurance.

If you are getting disablity checks, then you had to be examined by umteen thousand doctors. They believe you are disabled. They believe you are not a fraud.

But I know what you are saying. I imagine I would feel the same way. But you shouldn't. MI is a recognized disability. Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it's not there. If it makes you feel better, when you go to cash the checks, take your arm out of your shirt and people will think you are an amputee. Ha. Sorry. That was just wrong.

Don't let what you think everybody else thinks affect you. You know you deserve those checks. Forget everyone else. If they don't think you do, then they are simply uninformed.

Hang in!

Sam

Hey Secrets-

Sam is so right. You've been examined so much, you've got to believe your treatment team(s) that you've got a real disability that qualifies you to take a break from the world of work to heal. Think of it that way. I applied for SSDI and if I get it, I'm quitting work that day! Really, it is a very tough process to get it. You deserve it just for filling out the STUPID forms and answering the SAME questions a zillion times.

Believe your doctors. They're the experts. Believe in what process you started in the first place. You started the process because you recognized  you have a disability and need a respite from work. Believe in your own judgement. You know what is best for you. Don't second-guess yourself on this. And don't disbelieve your pdocs. It is all fitting together for you. I'm very happy for you, and I hope I'm so lucky and get my disability approved so I can heal too.

safe hugs,

loon

oh this is only the job disability not ssdi. I wd never qualify for ssdi because I am not homeless. But i was wondering what if some guy i was dating happened to find one of my forms talking about depression,suicide,add and all, that would be humiliating.

You don't have to be homeless to qualify for SSDI/SSI (Social Security disability benefits).  Many people who qualify for SSA disability, including those with mental impairments, live with their family or in a group living situation.

------

But anyways, if you don't want someone you date or a friend or whoever to see the forms, I suggest getting some type of file cabinet and locking it up, or hiding them under the mattresses in a closed folder, and no one would suspect it was there.

I've been on disability twice and probably about ready to hit the third time and I am not ashamed.  We are no different than someone with a bad back receiving disability.

Like Bryan said, you can hide the forms.  That's your personal shit.  You don't have to disclose to anyone you don't want to hon.

Sounds like someone has a date?  ;)

Meet me in Springerville!!!!!  I want the dirt girl!

As Bryan said, homelessness is not a thing that is AT ALL required for SSDI.  Not even for SSI--which is for those poor folk that are FAR more likely to be homeless.

I will put this out: if you don't cash those checks, and don't apply for SSDI--homelessness IS a possibility.

There is no shame in being unable to work.  I know it sucks; for instance, my fiancee would LOVE to have a job, but she can't.  And thusly is on SSI.

As others have mebtioned, if you're getting the checks--SOMEone, including professionals, feels you're unable to work.  You're not lazy.  You're not a shifyless bum.  You have an ILLNESS.  It prevents you from doing what you'd  like to/feel you should need to do.

Don't let pride get in the way; that's just asking for trouble.  Accept your illness, work to mitigate its influence on you, and hopefully you'll be able to return to a rewarding worklife someday.

But today is not that day.  Patience.  Let go the frustration and roll with the punches and insert various cliches here.

There are times when we really needed some kind of disability income but couldn't qualify. (Something about having a teeny tiny 401 K or something.) Plus, being self employed, no matter HOW poor we are, we still have to pay self employment taxes. (FCK YOU GOOBERMENT!)

If my hubby can't get the money, I at least know that someone who needs it is actually getting it. Cash the checks. On behalf of overburdened tax payers, I hereby absolve you of all guilt ;)

i'm with Wifezilla.  if you paid into the system by paying taxes previously, you are entitled to the benefits.  and since i pay into the system, i want my money to go to worthwhile things, like disability for someone who's having problems, instead of overpriced toilet seats and overseas trips for congressmen.

take it, you paid into the system, therefore you earned it.

Besides, the type of disability that you are on is temporary, meaning that due to your diagnosed condition, you cannot perform your last job.  So you and your doctor certify it, and it was approved, and you have it, meaning that you qualify legitimately, right?

The fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome can be debilitating---you mention that you are taking Adderall (in the signature in your post).  Do you have depression as well?  What other medications have you tried?  Have you tried Wellbutrin or Wellbutrin XL (one of the more stimulating antidepressants)?  Provigil?  Have you tried Prozac in addition to Adderall?  Sometimes the addition of antidepressants or other medications can help with chronic fatigue syndrome. Hopefully you can discuss treatment options with your doctor in an attempt to work on your recovery.

Chronic fatigue syndrome, I believe, also is known as CFIDS, or chronic fatigue immunodeficiency syndrome.  Sometimes it comes along with persistent low-grade fever, tender or swollen lymph nodes, headaches.  Have you tried herbal supplements to boost your immune system?

Archived