CrazyBoards.org

So my husband gets the second shot of the COVID vaccine today and I’m very anxious.

Does anyone know, will it be ok?

Will there be any side effects? Will they be mild?

How long will they last and when do they begin?

Anyone had the second shot and did it go ok?

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
On 2/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, Wonderful.Cheese said:

So my husband gets the second shot of the COVID vaccine today and I’m very anxious.

Does anyone know, will it be ok?

Will there be any side effects? Will they be mild?

How long will they last and when do they begin?

Anyone had the second shot and did it go ok?

I haven't even gotten the first shot yet......In my state they are now vaccinating the highest risk people, which are considered to be health care workers, residents of long-term care facilities like nursing homes, and people who are 65 and older.....It's probably going to be a while before I have a chance to get vaccinated.

But, as to your other questions, the second COVID shot does have a higher chance of getting "noticeable" side effects:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/getting-the-covid-19-vaccine-what-to-expect

Not everybody will get the side effects, but according to this article, the most common side effects are arm pain, fever, body aches, headaches, and tiredness for 1-2 days.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

I think my reply is too late, but for anyone it might help—for both doses, I had no side effects, not even a sore arm. Usually with vaccines I get a sore arm, but not with these. I have 5 coworkers who also got both doses. One had a headache, two generally felt tired for a day, one felt wiped out and hot and itchy for a day. The other felt like she was coming down with something for a day. They all expected to feel worse. I had Moderna if that matters. I hope your husband did fine after his dose, I know a lot of people are waiting to hear how everyone does. 

• 1 month later...

I had Covid last summer, and have long haul symptoms now, so keep that in mind.

After the shot, which was at about 3:00 on a Saturday afternoon, I was fine for about eight hours. I had some brain fog and disorientation, but that happens all the time anyway, so make of it what you will.

By around 11:00 I had chills, body aches, stabbing abdominal pain, and crushing fatigue. Occasional rounds of full-body shaking. I thought about chewing my arm off before bed, so rolling over on it wouldn’t wake me, because the injection site was agony incarnate. I had trouble using my left arm. The swelling looked like a new muscle, a finger-sized ridge under my skin. I was too nauseated to eat dinner.  Lamb chops were probably a bad idea. I did eat half the baked potato. 

A little after 3:00 a.m. I got up and took some Tylenol 3, and was finally able to sleep. I was freezing cold. I put on an extra wool blanket and wore a sweatshirt with the hood pulled up.

The next morning I was very stiff, and my entire body felt the way your back does the morning after you shovel the first big snow of the year, but I could move my arm more freely and felt overall better. I got up and ran one errand, during which I got short of breath, and then I was so tired I could hardly move. Headache and brain fog galore.

I got the Moderna vaccine, so a month later I went back for the second shot. As an added point of reference, I had a flu shot last fall without incident. I always get flu shots, and never have reactions.

All in all I would say that the second shot was not as bad. The next day I didn’t have enough energy to stand up for longer than it takes to wash my hands and make some toast (possibly in the opposite order, depending on how the honey behaved).

By the following day I was mostly back to normal. I slept a lot, and napping is not a thing I do. My arm still hurt enough to wake me if I rolled over on it, and my entire left trapezius muscle hurt, too, a nagging pain under my shoulder blade, over my shoulder and up the back of my neck. I also noticed a red welt, about 4 x 2”, on my left deltoid, which is odd because I’ve never had a major site reaction before. It looked like mild sunburn. It was there for several days.

My friend T, who got vaccinated the same day I did (same location, even), and who had also had Covid and is experiencing long term symptoms, also had a severe reaction to the shots. His second one was worse than mine. And another friend of ours who was vaccinated at the same place on the same days who hadn’t had Covid but who has a wonky immune system felt sick after the first shot, and extremely sick after the second.

All of the people I know who’ve never had Covid and who have now been vaccinate say they had fatigue and injection site soreness, but none have reported getting sick like T and I did.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Covid has torn my life in half. The thought of getting it again terrifies me. Get the shot, my darlings. I got sick back in August, and I’m still paying for it every day. Don’t take the chance.

• Like 2

this is too late for Cheese, but in case it helps anyone else...I got the second dose of Pfizer on Tuesday.  I had pretty instantaneous muscle soreness and was then hit by a wave of tiredness.  It's hard to be sure that that was a vaccine side effect because I also had to wake up 2 hours earlier than my normal.  So it could have been that.  Or both.  But I had to sleep away most of Tuesday.

Wednesday I was mostly fine.  I had sneezes and a runny nose, which could have been allergies or could have been that I injected the vaccine into my arm.

Overall, I feel pretty fortunate. 

• Like 1

I wonder if some people just aren’t as inclined to reactions. My mom finished both doses without reaction to either dose, which was my experience, but my sister-in-law had a fatigue reaction to dose 2, niece had no reaction. Go figure. I’d still have rather had a reaction than Covid, I’m very afraid of covid. 

My husband had no reaction to the second shot, thankfully. Both of my parents had no reaction to the second shot too. My tdoc just had a sore arm where she got the vaccine in her arm. She said Tylenol took away the pain and that was that.

I will try to remember to update my own journey. I myself get the second shot soon. I had no reaction to the first shot. I’m sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I apologize for neglecting this!

• Like 1