CrazyBoards.org

Spending sprees keep crippling my finances

I get them even when I’m not manic. I get them when mixed, and now, it seems, even when I’m depressed, too. Do you get them outside of mania? I also have OCD, so perhaps that can cause spending sprees as well? I’ll have to ask pdoc. In any case, they’ve really done a number on me over the years. I sit here wondering how I could possibly have spent that much money. I mean, I have some things to show for it, but also a lot of money seems unaccounted for.

And some things are just ridiculous, like the amount of books I buy, with no space to put them (fortunately several hundred are on Kindle, or it would be even worse). I also bought nearly $1500 in seeds that I can’t possibly ever use, and spent way too much on gifts for friends. And don’t even get me started on my food delivery spending! Also factoring in are ridiculous amounts of soaps and sex toys, not to mention electronics and software that I don’t even use.

It’s killing me, and my future. Does anyone know how to cope with this?  

Edited by Goofball
1 hour ago, Goofball said:

I get them even when I’m not manic. I get them when mixed, and now, it seems, even when I’m depressed, too. Do you get them outside of mania? I also have OCD, so perhaps that can cause spending sprees as well? I’ll have to ask pdoc. In any case, they’ve really done a number on me over the years. I sit here wondering how I could possibly have spent that much money. I mean, I have some things to show for it, but also a lot of money seems unaccounted for.

And some things are just ridiculous, like the amount of books I buy, with no space to put them (fortunately several hundred are on Kindle, or it would be even worse). I also bought nearly $1500 in seeds that I can’t possibly ever use, and spent way too much on gifts for friends. And don’t even get me started on my food delivery spending! Also factoring in are ridiculous amounts of soaps and sex toys, not to mention electronics and software that I don’t even use.

Just out of curiosity, what meds are you on? There are a few that are tied to compulsive behavior 

30 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Just out of curiosity, what meds are you on? There are a few that are tied to compulsive behavior 

Depakote is the only med that I’ve been on throughout all the spending sprees in recent years. What meds were you thinking of?

4 minutes ago, Goofball said:

Depakote is the only med that I’ve been on throughout all the spending sprees in recent years. What meds were you thinking of?

Dopamine (partial) agonists (abilify and rexulti are the common ones in psych but there are less used ones like mirapex) 

7 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Dopamine (partial) agonists (abilify and rexulti are the common ones in psych but there are less used ones like mirapex) 

I’ve used Abilify before, but not Rexulti. I don’t recall having more issues on it. 

22 hours ago, Goofball said:

Just some thoughts....

First, does your pdoc know about your spending issues?......If not, it might be a good idea to let them know.....Do you have a therapist?

Do you buy these things mainly with credit cards?.......If so, perhaps you could think about getting rid of some of your cards  (or having a trusted family member hold them for you}.......Maybe just have one card available for emergencies?

4 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Just some thoughts....

First, does your pdoc know about your spending issues?......If not, it might be a good idea to let them know.....Do you have a therapist?

Do you buy these things mainly with credit cards?.......If so, perhaps you could think about getting rid of some of your cards  (or having a trusted family member hold them for you}.......Maybe just have one card available for emergencies?

Good point CRH- it might be really helpful to bring in a trusted loved one to act as a safety net 

Goofball, that is the story of my life and my main regret. I have spent so much, bought so much. It’s way worse when manic or towards manic but finally my pdoc said I need to work with a therapist to learn to recognize triggers or whatever, warnings, and find ways to stop. Plus I’m on lamotrigine and abilify. Is it better?  Well, better to some degree but not entirely. I have no one to manage my credit cards and at any rate could still use a debit card and drain my account like I did pre credit. So it’s on me to try to work with this tdoc and learn any skills I can. I have learned to identify that pre-buy feeling and have been able to stop sometimes before I go on but that’s not a sure thing. So that may not be helpful but know I am working on this, too. 

On 2/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, sugarsugar said:

Goofball, that is the story of my life and my main regret. I have spent so much, bought so much. It’s way worse when manic or towards manic but finally my pdoc said I need to work with a therapist to learn to recognize triggers or whatever, warnings, and find ways to stop. Plus I’m on lamotrigine and abilify. Is it better?  Well, better to some degree but not entirely. I have no one to manage my credit cards and at any rate could still use a debit card and drain my account like I did pre credit. So it’s on me to try to work with this tdoc and learn any skills I can. I have learned to identify that pre-buy feeling and have been able to stop sometimes before I go on but that’s not a sure thing. So that may not be helpful but know I am working on this, too. 

Thanks. It helps just knowing I’m not alone in struggling with this. I mean, sure, I knew others have this issue, but it helps to hear someone discuss it. How would you describe the “pre-buy feeling?”

• 4 weeks later...

I guess when I have the feeling that I need to buy something immediately because it could become unavailable, or because I just need to do this right away, or suddenly I am thinking of all the uses I would have for this thing, those are warning signs to back away and come back later. Any sense of urgency around buying something is a warning but I usually ignore it and proceed, which is what got me here. I am no longer employed so hope I can get this under control. 

I get that sense of urgency. I have tons of stuff I have no place for ATM, but I thought I needed to buy it NOW. My hall is clogged with the stuff, so much so that I can barely move around in it. I hope you can get your spending under control. Mine had subsided finally, but then I became manic and started up again. I am calmed down now, taking my Zyprexa. I just have some racing thoughts and hallucinations left.

I have thought of putting all of my credit and debit cards in my safety deposit box, and then getting cash once a week. I’m not sure that would work, though, especially since I have the one card memorized. I suppose I could order a new card, though. I just wish I could be normal. Brain cooties suck.