CrazyBoards.org

Please tell me if anything from below goes against any guidelines.

Some background: So I've never had a big issue with self harm - most of the time it was in the worst mental-wise moments of my life, and most of my earlier scars have faded completely as I've never cut deep. Additionally, I've never told anyone in real life about self-harm.

Essentially in the past few months I've been able to really control my urges and have not cut myself at all (and I think I haven't used any other way as far as I'm aware). In fact, in the past month I have not had *any* urges at all. I feel good about my control and this wasn't a really big problem before, so I feel great. 

What I'm wondering if people here had this same experience and if it did get better afterwards. As I said above, I really feel good even though my mental state hasn't really changed that much, and I was wondering if I should still try to "get help" for self-harm (considering I've been able to control it for the past few months)?

i think this is one of those cases where getting some help (therapy/counseling maybe?) would be a good tool to strengthen your resolve to put off future self harm episodes. since you feel good about controlling your self harm, it might be a good time to examine your triggers that make you want to cut, and make a list of tools that help you get over the urge without injuring yourself. that way, you'll be better prepared if a time comes again where you feel worse or the urge is more overwhelming.

i'm similar in that i haven't done any major damage to myself via self harm (though some of my scars are permanently visible) and tend to go months between episodes of wanting to harm. self-harm is a long-haul game, even if your habit has never been severely disfiguring. for me i find that the ideation of it never completely goes away, and when i've been clean for months and think i'm over it, the urge still appears out of nowhere as strong as it ever was. so, in my experience, there's no minimum suffering requirement you have to meet to benefit from help with self harm thoughts/actions. you don't have to be a regular cutter to deserve help.

good on you for going so long without cutting. that's fantastic. :) i think telling a professional (therapist/doctor) that you've achieved that will help validate your success. i find it helpful to know someone is rooting for me, and that someone will be there to help me if i get pulled under again.

I think it never hurts to at least reach out. There are plenty of people in therapy who no self harm (or other serious symptom history) who still find therapy a helpful way to manage maladaptive thoughts and feelings. As echo said, I don’t think there is a point at which you “qualify” to get help. Worst that happens is you discontinue after a few appointments. Also, even if you don’t see someone regularly, it never hurts to have a contact in case symptoms come back 

Not self-harming is good thing but whether it's enough depends on how you feel. The act of self-harming itself can leave it's mark, and it's no bad thing to talk to someone about it. I stopped self-harming long before I got any help, and the time between that wasn't a happy time. Good that I stopped self-harming, but still bad in other ways. You've made a positive step and maybe it's a good time to get some help and carry it further.