CrazyBoards.org

I'm currently dealing with waves of depression and anxiety.  It's pretty miserable.  I'll be doing something, like taking a bath, and it sweeps over me until I change what I'm doing, like get out of the bath and go for a walk.  There aren't enough data points right now to know if there are any common triggers.  But it'll only go away for some time and then it'll come back and hit me again. 

I'm thankful that it's not constant.  But during the peak of the depression/anxiety, I start feeling like I'm going to land in a hospital, have to go on FMLA, need to do a PHP, etc.  It's pretty extreme.  So far nothing SI. 

What I'm trying to figure out is what people do to cope with these sort of symptoms.  I'm used to the symptoms being chronic/constant or not present.  I'm currently trying to ride the waves, since it's coming and going.

My tdoc had me take a day off work, as that's the content for most of my anxiety and depression when they come.  But that's not a sustainable long-term solution.  My pdoc knows as of this morning and has increased depakote (750mg to 1000 mg) and zyprexa (7.5mg to 10mg, which reversed a change we made two weeks ago). 

Any suggestions? 

For me it was finding a hobby(ies) that I could really throw myself into...for me that was cooking a pretty involved dinner every night. It was enough of a distraction that sometimes the depression would stay away afterwords. Obviously you’d need your own thing, but I’ve found a “go to” activity to be very helpful 

Getting out of the house and going for a long hike out in nature. .. meeting a friend or a family member for breakfast/lunch....I'm currently doing a PHP program and the structure itself is helpful. It forces me to shower, eat breakfast and leave the house. 

When my mood tanks like that, I’ve found that either Ritalin or Adderall helps bump me up some. This helps whether I start the day off lower than normal, or if I have a sudden slump during the course of the day. When I take either regularly, I don’t have so many sudden drops, and am less depressed in general. Adderall works better than Ritalin for me, but has worse side effects. What I do is take 30 mg to start, and then I take 10 mg every 4 hours. 

I’ve found that it’s not helpful without that larger initial dose. 30 mg is what’s required for me to overcome the initial “inertia,” and jolt me out of the slump. After that, I don’t need as much oomph to continue sailing through the day. The extended release (e.g., Concerta) does not work for me, probably because it doesn’t deliver enough of an initial lift. 

Edited by Goofball