CrazyBoards.org

As much as I like to think I’m doing everything I can to manage my illness I seem to always end up forgetting or flat out skipping a dose of my medication.

I know a big gap for me is refilling the script and picking it up in a timely manner.

I also try to leave my meds out in line of sight so I will remember. 

somehow , some days I just forget still.

I would most recently say out of 90 days I’ve missed/skipped around 15-20 which in writing doesn’t seem bad. But I know it can’t be good to keep having these breaks in between doses.

Does anyone resonate with this or have tips / tricks?

i've talked about this on CB before, but i use an app called MyTherapy. i schedule a reminder twice a day to take my medication, and it also has a function where you can enter how many pills you have and it'll keep track of your inventory as you take your meds. that way you can schedule it to give you a heads up when you have say, 10 pills left. it makes it easier to call your pharmacy before you run out.

• Like 1

I love the sound of that app, another thing is leaving them in plain sight if you can rather than putting them away in a drawer. Out of reach of kids obviously ha ha. but like have the box they are in on top of the oven for example, or on top of the microwave, somewhere where you'll keep seeing them

Edited by Antecedent
26 minutes ago, Bipopular said:

Don't let em get too hot!😃

ha ha ha ha yeah! my oven has a grill on the top that we never use... I don't know why all my ideas were "put it on a heat source!"

I use an app called schizophrenia storylines. I believe it is available for Android and iOS. It is useful to me.

Although sometimes I ignore the alarm. Like today, for instance. My noon alarm went off and it’s past 1 PM and I have not taken my noon meds. Oops.

And I haven’t eaten either. I need to get better at this. Maybe more phone alarms?

I would suggest looking at different med tracker apps and playing around with them until you find one that suits your needs. There are many out there. Some paid, lots free. Mine is free. I’d say try the free before you pay. There are so many out there.

A second option would be a pill box that has an alarm. I got mine on Amazon (it was pricey unfortunately), and I got it mostly for its locking feature (but it also has alarm features, like it won’t stop ringing until you take the pills out). I don’t use my alarm feature on my pill case. So I can’t speak to that feature. I just have it set to silent and it gives me one day of meds at a time.

Best wishes and best of luck! I know it’s a daily struggle!

(I should mention my pill locked case is quite large. Not travel like in your purse travel size.)

3550D0E4-E896-4681-AE9B-0DEEA932E04A.thumb.jpeg.b4d913b59c3da8759d2bd64796c80ed6.jpeg

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:55 PM, de414 said:

As much as I like to think I’m doing everything I can to manage my illness I seem to always end up forgetting or flat out skipping a dose of my medication.

I know a big gap for me is refilling the script and picking it up in a timely manner.

I also try to leave my meds out in line of sight so I will remember. 

somehow , some days I just forget still.

I would most recently say out of 90 days I’ve missed/skipped around 15-20 which in writing doesn’t seem bad. But I know it can’t be good to keep having these breaks in between doses.

Does anyone resonate with this or have tips / tricks?

I can't tell if you live in the US or somewhere else, but in re: the hurdle of refilling and picking up scripts, have you considered looking into whether your insurance would cover a mail-order pharmacy? The only one I know off the top of my head is PillPack, but I'm sure there are others. Obviously there would be more variables than just insurance. Some would depend on your prescriber — like if they only do paper scripts or can e-prescribe — while others would also depend on what meds your on or could be on in the future. I say that because PillPack doesn't dispense Schedule II meds at all, so no Adderall, and more recently they don't accept scripts for controls like benzos through anything other than e-prescribing. 

Getting your meds Rxed in larger, 90-day quantities can help with the “forgetting to refill” thing somewhat. I don’t don’t do mail order, but I just take my Rx for 3 months to the grocery store pharmacy, and they give me three bottles. They charge me three times the normal copay, but I end up paying the same amount at the end of the day. 

If you have morning and night doses of meds, it might help to put the pills right next to where you’re generally going to spend a certain amount of time in the morning and at night. I put mine right next to my ipad, because I use it so much, and I am generally using it between 8 and 9 am and 8 and 9 pm, or as close os my sleep schedule will allow. That’s when I try to take my meds. 

One more thing. If you’re not into the pill box, you can just simply turn your bottles over after you take your PM dose, and then tun them right-side up after you take your am dose. That’s what I do. The only real issue is that you might end up missing two doses that way (e.g., if you miss your evening doses and then see your bottles right-side up the next morning, you might forget and think that you’ve already taken you am doses).