CrazyBoards.org

6th International Conference on Bipolar Disorder

Here is one next week.

http://www.irbd.org/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm. Maybe the fact it's being held in London will produce some trickle-down effect for our British friends here at CB who've had a difficult time with getting docs to understand BP spectrum disorder or to prescribe anything other than Lithium. ;)

One can hope.

clicked on the link and was browsing the info when i found there is a Dr. "Angst". just had to laugh and share.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dr. Angst is, IMHO, the one most likely the most responsible for the BD spectrum concept.

Just keep in mind that: Small inhibitory RNA (siRNA) studies have shown that BAG-1 siRNA attenuates the effects of mood stabilizers on GR-mediated nuclear translocation and gene expression...

Heya,

Hehheh, Dr. Angst.

Will look into the 2007 one, if there's "points" available, might be worth the trip ...

... anyone, is Pittsburgh worth the trip??

(Meanwhile we can all see the presentations on that site from '05)

--ncc--

... anyone, is Pittsburgh worth the trip??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't say from experience; never been there. I had a friend who lived there for awhile during her *brief* marriage. She liked it a lot, thought it was an underrated city. As I remember, besides Carnegie-Mellon, she said there were a good number of museums, that the city was nicely laid out, that there were some really interesting areas, etc.

But I can't say.

Here is one next week.

http://www.irbd.org/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm. Maybe the fact it's being held in London will produce some trickle-down effect for our British friends here at CB who've had a difficult time with getting docs to understand BP spectrum disorder or to prescribe anything other than Lithium. ;)

One can hope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a sad note here is a well known doctor discounting the prevalence of BD being over 1%. Considering its kinship to Epilepsy I think that it would have a similar prevalence. Luckily for us Canucks Dr. Healy did not receive his position at Toronto's CAMH. With that type of skepticism I think a number off people would have been discouraged from receiving treatment.

Ncc, I hope you can go to the next one.  I have watched all the videos from 2005.  The Q&A debates at the end of each lecture are interesting. 

One thing seems really obvious to me - The USA is promoting more experimantal treatments and multiple med treatments, while other countries are more skeptical and seem to critique the US pdocs for not taking the traditional course of using one of the 3 firstline meds as monotherapy first, then augmenting with an antipsychotic second. 

The Europeans are not keen on seeing people on more than 2 meds and still hold lithium and depakote as being #1 treatments (especially lithium), because of longterm research. 

I wish I could go to the 2007 conference.  Where do I print out my fake medical degree?

Archived