CrazyBoards.org

SSRI above max doses ? Escitalopram above 20mg

Pdoc wants me to take 30mg escitalopram for ocd.

But im not sure if dose above max doses are safe or will it worsen my qtc interval on ECG test.

So i have decided not to increase above approved max doses.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by clinic

3 hours ago, clinic said:

But im not sure if dose above max doses are safe or will it worsen my qtc interval on ECG test.

Any thoughts ?

I have OCD , too, and have taken 30mg escitalopram (Lexapro) before, and it didn't affect my QTC........Only reason I went down in dosage to 10mg, was that my doc added Trintellix (another SSRI) to my meds.

Sometimes, higher doses of SSRIs are needed to help OCD symptoms.......What you do is up to you, but I would certainly consider at least trying the higher dosage, as recommended by your pdoc.........If the higher dosage doesn't help, or affects your QTC, you  always have the option of stopping it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 4/10/2021 at 7:24 AM, clinic said:

Any thoughts ?

I’ve been on 15, 20, 25 and 30mg. I also take a boatload of other meds and one doc - Ketamine doc IIRC - was very concerned that I was at 30mg and asked I go down to 20mg, so I did.

Other than that I personally found that 25mg and above made me even more depressed and anhedonic. Very slow to do everything, no interest in anything but it also quashed my horrific OCD very well. YMMV as always of course.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 7:24 AM, clinic said:

Any thoughts ?

Prolongation of the QT interval was an issue with citalopram (Celexa), which is why the maximum dose of that was reduced from 60mg to 40mg per day. However, even at 20mg, escitalopram (Lexapro) doesn't come close to the QT prolongation of 60mg of racemic citalopram. Going to 30mg on escitalopram for treatment-resistant cases like OCD that require significant SERT occupancy actually pretty common because of escitalopram's positive safety profile.