CrazyBoards.org

which psych meds need lab tests

I don't know of any such list.  There are a lot of complicating factors that would mack a list like that hard to compile though.  Many meds would require testing when used in conjunction with other meds or an unrelated health condition but would not otherwise, for example.

A.M.

[edit] Ok, RTFQ, read the flippin' question.  No, I don't know of any tests specific to your meds. General health tests that pdocs should look at would be, blood sugar, liver enzymes, thyroid and the standard chem panel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, I was going to add just such a list,  plus lipids. I  AM referring  specifically to tests needing to be periodically run while you're taking most - not merely a few - medications long term.  Thanks to Google, anyone with a computer can check these things out easily going to any number of reliable sites.  (even if you lose your package insert - which any pharmacy will replace for you anyhow).  They'll tell if your med requires periodic testing (periodic,  as in every six months to a year).  It's good to get into the habit of checking your pulse now and then, if you take a stimulant.  Also it's good to get into the habit of knowing your normal BP and to check for changes  with stimulants or many other meds (speaking as somebody hospitalized for ten days with  a common blood pressure reaction to a psych med.    I had NOT been told to check it!  :)   But then again I had a rare BP reaction to nortriptyline too - whichmy doc denied was posible BTW ;) .  If I hadn't been going regularly to the gym where they had a cuff,  I'd never have known)

All these recs are in spades if you're a senior-junior like me - or as VE said, are taking something else  which might create a combination risk. 

One really common non-psych med that should suggest liver enzyme tests is Lipitor. I get them regularly. Had a medium small scare last time until my doc and I figured out that the numbers were probably up from a nasty virus I had for a while. Now hoping (with some confidence) that my liver doesn't look like swiss cheese.

Archived