CrazyBoards.org

me and my current pdoc are trying to determine whether i have schizophrenia and depression, or schizoaffective; depressive type.

I have been having symptoms of schizophrenia on and off all my life. I would occasionally hear voices and have visions starting when i was about 3 years old. When i was about 9, i started becoming paranoid--believing people were poisoning my food, planting bombs outside my house, etc. It wasn't until i was 16 that i became depressed and suicidal. At this time, the schizophrenic symptoms worsened too.  I was hospitalized a few times when i was 16. durring my first hospitalization, i was diagnosed with psychotic depression, but the doctors didn't know i had been having psychosis for years before i was depressed.  My depression lasted about a year until i got stabalized on meds. But my schizophrenic symptoms continued to worsen. When i was 17, i was evalluated by a really good psychiatrist and he diagnosed me with paranoid schizophrenia and depression.

I read somewhere that with schizoaffective disorder, mood symptoms and psychotic symptoms  develope together, (though eventually the person will have them seperatly). which is what makes me and my doctor lean more towards believing im schizophrenic and not schizoaffective.

so i just thought i'd ask what some of you all think. Does it sound  like i have schizophrenia, or schizoaffective disorder?

thanks

It depends on your psychiatrist on what the diagnosis is. What I mean by this is that different doctors have different ideas of what "Schizoaffective" really means. Some professionals (including both my Pdoc and Tdoc) say that Schizoaffective is merely Schizophrenia with a mood component. Others say it is Psychosis occurance not during mood.

Basically though, Schizoaffective is both Schizophrenia symptoms and mood symptoms. With that, it doesn't really matter if you are diagnosed with Schizophrenia with Major Depression or Schizoaffective Disorder Major Depressive Type; as long as you treat the symptoms.

On a personal note, I know exactly what you are going through. I developed Childhood Schizophrenia when I was 7 years old, but didn't get diagnosed until I was 16. Well when I was diagnosed, I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder Major Depressive Type, even though I didn't develope Major depression until I was about 13. Some doctors might disagree with my current dx, considering my history. But all in all, it was the exact same treatment, and that is what is most important.

Twitch

• 1 year later...
Guest EILEEN

DEAR BUNNY,

I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR NURSE BUT FROM READING ALITTLE ABOUT

SCHIZOPHRENIA, AND THIS IS THE FIRST I HEARD ABOUT SCHIZOAFFECTIVE

DISORDER, I HAVE A BROTHER WHO IS DIAGNOSED WITH AUTISM AND MILD

PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIA AND TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE MILD

PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIA WITH DEPRESSION.

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING

WARM REGARDS,

EILEEN , I HOPE I HELPED IN SOME WAY.

Schizoaffective is a weird diagnosis. Sometimes it looks mostly like a mood disorder, with some schizophrenia features. Sometimes it looks mostly like schizophrenia with a few mood disorder features. I currently have a bipolar diagnosis, but schizoaffective has been considered. Sometimes it is hard to make the call.

In your case I would wonder how prominent your depressive episodes are -- do they meet the diagnostic criteria for depression, and are they recurrent? While "straight"schizophrenia often has an element of chronic dysthymia or limited depressive features, true clear-cut depressive episodes that recur would probably put you in the schizoaffective category.

When you come right down to it, it doesn't matter much, because you will be treated the same way (probably an antipsychotic plus an antidepressant) regardless.

Archived