CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

Don't know where to put this as I'm not BP...but...... Apart from feeling apathetic mostly everyday & unable to do anything productive, I spend hours browsing/shopping online (but NOT actually buying anything). I create a profile on various sites, comparison shop, save dozens of things on Wishlists and keep going back wanting to buy stuff, but I don't. Can be everything from furniture, rugs, bath products, pillows, artwork, clothing...

It's a wierd addiction because I'm like the opposite of impulsive. I don't have the budget to buy the stuff I want (and luckily by sheer willpower, I don't). I waste hours saving stuff on my Wishlists (even putting 6 or so items in my Amazon cart) but I don't actually buy.

Anyone else do this? What is this a symptom of?

(Edit: I actually often go back to buy 1 thing I saved 2 months prior, just to find it's out of stock & I get gutted)

Edited by Blahblah

7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Don't know where to put this as I'm not BP...but...... Apart from feeling apathetic mostly everyday & unable to do anything productive, I spend hours browsing/shopping online (but NOT actually buying anything). I create a profile on various sites, comparison shop, save dozens of things on Wishlists and keep going back wanting to buy stuff, but I don't. Can be everything from furniture, rugs, bath products, pillows, artwork, clothing...

It's a wierd addiction because I'm like the opposite of impulsive. I don't have the budget to buy the stuff I want (and luckily by sheer willpower, I don't). I waste hours saving stuff on my Wishlists (even putting 6 or so items in my Amazon cart) but I don't actually buy.

Anyone else do this? What is this a symptom of?

(Edit: I actually often go back to buy 1 thing I saved 2 months prior, just to find it's out of stock & I get gutted)

Hmm... idk that it is specifically a symptom of one thing, or at least I just can’t think of one... but as we all know MI has huge overlaps between conditions. Could this be a pandemic boredom type thing? 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do this at great lengths. After years of it, I progressed to actually buying things. I think when I was able to shop online it got easier to actually buy things, and since then I’ve really struggled to control this. I do sometimes still just put things in the cart and leave them but often the sites send me reminder emails to buy. I do find if I can walk away I may not end up buying later. I guess I have more credit than income so I’ve been able to rack up huge debt at times, and I would think switching to buying would be the big risk. I have never felt all the shopping and choosing was a problem, just the purchasing that came later. For me, it has seemed a bipolar thing to buy but can’t really say the shopping is, at least in my mind.  I’m not sure if it’s something to try to stop although I did spend a lot of time on it, still do, I guess. Is it some sort of MI if you don’t actually buy?  I don’t know. I’m probably the last to say. But I share the habit, that I can say.