So i take an SNRI and since i didn't respond well to risperdal to augment it for mood and anxiety/ocd....my pdoc is having me try Seroquel IR to augment it... for non-psychotic and non-bipolar reasons. 50 mg for 2 weeks to start out with

Got several questions for you guys.

1. I also take 50 mg trazodone for sleep but can substitute seroquel or add trazodone back in if its not enough. I took the seroquel an hour later sleepy but nervous id still be awake so took the trazodone. Will this increase seroquel levels cuz 50 mg is such a puny dose?

2. Im assuming 50 mg of seroquel still wont affect mood even with metabolite cuz its so small.

3. Is Seroquel less likely to aggravate anhedonia and amotivation since it barely touches dopamine below 300 mg?

4. Seroquel ir has a short half life. Does that still cover mood symptoms during the day once a therapeutic dose is achieved?

Thank you guys so much

Seroquel below 100mg is usually for sleep. Probably you'll just feel sedated? I've taken trazedone and seroquel together for sleep before. It was pretty potent back then (trazedone no longer works for me.) I've never taken Seroquel XR but a lot of people find it helps for depression at a higher dose then your taking. I'd ask for an increase if you don't find results with your mood. 

• 3 weeks later...

1. I’ve never combined the two (trazadone doesn’t do anything for me) but if your prescriber has cleared you to do so, I’d defer to them. Be prepared to possibly feel quite tired in the morning, however. As far as I know there is no interaction between the two, other than they both increase sedation. 

2. It’s unlikely that 50 mg of IR will affect primary mood symptoms due to it being a very low dose, but it could theoretically improve secondary symptoms like insomnia and anxiety.

3. Seroquel has quite the dose range. I can’t speak to what 50 mg will or will not definitively do for you, but do keep in mind there’s likely some residual sedation you might feel the following day, which can mimic low levels of motivation. You’ll just have to try it out and see how it makes you feel the morning after. 

4.  Only the extended-release formulation is approved as an adjunct for non bipolar depression. Whether or not that translates to the IR being effective or not is likely variable from person to person and again something you’ll have to experiment with. That’s not to say it won’t help your mood symptoms, but I wouldn’t expect a massive effect from 50 mg of Seroquel IR. Although like I mentioned above, if your issues include insomnia or anxiety, it might be quite helpful. I have been on much higher doses of the XR form and found it helpful for depression, but I’m talking 400+ mg. 

Edited by mjs190

On 5/12/2021 at 10:24 AM, OCDme said:

Got several questions for you guys.

1. I also take 50 mg trazodone for sleep but can substitute seroquel or add trazodone back in if its not enough. I took the seroquel an hour later sleepy but nervous id still be awake so took the trazodone. Will this increase seroquel levels cuz 50 mg is such a puny dose?

2. Im assuming 50 mg of seroquel still wont affect mood even with metabolite cuz its so small.

3. Is Seroquel less likely to aggravate anhedonia and amotivation since it barely touches dopamine below 300 mg?

4. Seroquel ir has a short half life. Does that still cover mood symptoms during the day once a therapeutic dose is achieved?

Thank you guys so much

Basically, I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said so far...

My own experience with Seroquel:........I've tried Seroquel in the past only for sleep (100mg IR), and I've also combined a small dose of trazodone (50mg) with the seroquel for sleep....Worked well for awhile......Eventually, I had to stop the Seroquel due to side effects, so I had to increase trazodone dose to 200mg.......Now I just take trazodone and klonopin for sleep, and it's been working pretty well.

As someone else mentioned, 50mg Seroquel is a small dose, and might not do a lot for your mood symptoms......You might have to go higher in dose for that, although that will be up to pdoc to decide.....

If you're looking for longer-lasting coverage, there is an extended release formula called Seroquel XR, which you could bring up with your doc to see what he thinks.

In summary, you will just have to see how you react to different doses, and it might take time to find the dose that works for you.