Getting off Metformin (tummy issues)

I don’t know what metformin is doing for me now. I got on it for weight loss, when I was on seroquel. It is maybe/probably causing my tummy/bathroom woes now that I connect the dots. 

In a week I see my Dr and I’m going to ask to try going off of it. My concern is that it is helping my blood sugar and A1c. If I’m diabetic though, I’d like to know. Honestly. So I can treat it.

Anyone know what to expect with getting off metformin? Such as withdrawals or if I have to expect to taper it down slowly? I’ve been on it maybe 2+ years? I put up with the tummy woes because I was desperate to lose weight and I was worried about getting diabetic. I know I’m dumb and not assertive.

I don’t know what metformin is doing for me now. I got on it for weight loss, when I was on seroquel. It is maybe/probably causing my tummy/bathroom woes now that I connect the dots. 

In a week I see my Dr and I’m going to ask to try going off of it. My concern is that it is helping my blood sugar and A1c. If I’m diabetic though, I’d like to know. Honestly. So I can treat it.

Anyone know what to expect with getting off metformin? Such as withdrawals or if I have to expect to taper it down slowly? I’ve been on it maybe 2+ years? I put up with the tummy woes because I was desperate to lose weight and I was worried about getting diabetic. I know I’m dumb and not assertive.

My pdoc too put me on metformin for weight loss and I cannot tolerate it pass 1000mg or I get bad diaherra and stomach ache. It hasn't helped with weight but my blood sugar is normal and I'm on two APs so I'm not sure if it'd be good to stop. My pdoc says metformin has a good track record for controlling blood sugar. The only thing that sucks with it is when I get hospitalized they all think I'm diabetic and I get the stupid low cal zero sugar meals and no one believes me until I get my blood sugar checked lol

• Thanks 1

I wasn't on it for as long but I went off it for the same reason (you've never really lived until you've shit yourself in your sleep and not woken up (thanks Zyprexa!  lol).

I took Saxenda (liraglutide; higher doses than Victoza, which is also liraglutide) afterwards until the insurance company required a prior authorization (which stressed me just the thought of, I had a break down), and then I started on Victoza.  Both are injection.  

I told my pdoc I'd stopped taking Victoza (cost me $45/box which didn't last that long) and he said it helped with weight loss by more then just controlling appetite - if I had to guess, by insulin regulation.  He put me on Rybelsus, which is a semiglutide pill.  I've been on it since Sunday and so far, so good.  I pay less for a 30 day supply ($27) (admittedly I'm still on 3mg and it does titrate up).  I saw in the US there is a drug card or whatever to reduce the cost.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

My pdoc too put me on metformin for weight loss and I cannot tolerate it pass 1000mg or I get bad diaherra and stomach ache. It hasn't helped with weight but my blood sugar is normal and I'm on two APs so I'm not sure if it'd be good to stop. My pdoc says metformin has a good track record for controlling blood sugar. The only thing that sucks with it is when I get hospitalized they all think I'm diabetic and I get the stupid low cal zero sugar meals and no one believes me until I get my blood sugar checked lol

Yeah, I pooped myself in my sleep when I was at 1500mg.  At 1000mg I merely would have to go quickly (ever tried to walk fast when you're about to shit your pants?) and urgently go back home while walking the dogs - a great alteration of "walk quickly" with "stop and clench my sphincter".  Still, it was definitely better than 1500mg.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

I have diarrhea too. I thought it was me getting IBS like my mom but I’m not sure now. I haven’t had my blood sugar tested in almost a year. My fasting glucose was ok according to my GP (it was borderline high according to the chart). My A1c was never tested. Or if it was last year it was normal. 

31 minutes ago, jarn said:

I wasn't on it for as long but I went off it for the same reason (you've never really lived until you've shit yourself in your sleep and not woken up (thanks Zyprexa!  lol).

I took Saxenda (liraglutide; higher doses than Victoza, which is also liraglutide) afterwards until the insurance company required a prior authorization (which stressed me just the thought of, I had a break down), and then I started on Victoza.  Both are injection.  

I told my pdoc I'd stopped taking Victoza (cost me $45/box which didn't last that long) and he said it helped with weight loss by more then just controlling appetite - if I had to guess, by insulin regulation.  He put me on Rybelsus, which is a semiglutide pill.  I've been on it since Sunday and so far, so good.  I pay less for a 30 day supply ($27) (admittedly I'm still on 3mg and it does titrate up).  I saw in the US there is a drug card or whatever to reduce the cost.  

26 minutes ago, jarn said:

Yeah, I pooped myself in my sleep when I was at 1500mg.  At 1000mg I merely would have to go quickly (ever tried to walk fast when you're about to shit your pants?) and urgently go back home while walking the dogs - a great alteration of "walk quickly" with "stop and clench my sphincter".  Still, it was definitely better than 1500mg.  

Been there with being in bed and having an accident. Luckily I only ruined my pants. I’ve been fortunate because nowadays I’ve gotten very good at feeling if I’m going to have diarrhea. So I can get to a bathroom quick. Geez. I sound horrible. I’ve put up with this because I’ve been terrified of getting diabetes. And I’m not assertive and my self esteem sucks. I need to be honest with my dr, I suppose. Geez.

It's tough.  I was embarrassed about talking about it, for sure.  I tend that way myself (as do my mom and aunt), but metformin was that much worse.  Dunno, maybe Rybelsus will be like that too - but so far, 6 days in at 3mg dose, I'm okay.  

3 hours ago, jarn said:

That's lovely lol. I've just been put on a low dose of metformin so lets hope all I need is a low dose as a newly diagnosed diabetic. *RIP pants*

50 minutes ago, Angeni Mai said:

That's lovely lol. I've just been put on a low dose of metformin so lets hope all I need is a low dose as a newly diagnosed diabetic. *RIP pants*

Oh I hope so!  If I didn't already know my husband was a keeper him taking the bedding down the laundry room while I hid in mortification in our apartment (and showered for a loooooong time) was a sure sign.  

I hope you just need a low dose.  But meds all hit all of us differently so fingers crossed your tummy is happy.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, Angeni Mai said:

I hope your tummy stays happy on metformin too! I have been more consistent with taking my fiber supplement (I had been skipping it). Now I’ve *knock on wood* had less tummy/bathroom woes for a few days and I’ve realized that maybe I need to be better at that so I can stay on the protective metformin. (Since I’m on a ginormous Zyprexa dose)

good luck!!!!!