CrazyBoards.org

Which is the benzo for me?

Posted (edited)

I have an anxiety problem. I am not able to go through a single day without clonazepam. Is this the best benzo for me or is there something else. My doctor has flatly refused to prescribe alprazolam because he thinks it is addictive. I am not sure about the other options like valium,lorazepam etc. I am just wondering which is the best benzo if i want to suffer minimum cognitive impairment and have maximum action against the anxiety.

Edited by the maze runner
language

On 5/16/2021 at 2:50 AM, the maze runner said:

I have an anxiety problem. I am not able to go through a single day without clonazepam. Is this the best benzo for me or is there something else. My doctor has flatly refused to prescribe alprazolam because he thinks it is addictive. I am not sure about the other options like valium,lorazepam etc. I am just wondering which is the best benzo if i want to suffer minimum cognitive impairment and have maximum action against the anxiety.

The way you wrote this post, it's hard for me to tell whether you're not happy with having to take clonazepam every day and would like to take less or something different or that you're taking clonazepam every day and it's not effectively managing your anxiety. 

In general, from personal experience and what I know working in mental health, you might be able to convince your prescriber to try a longer acting benzo like diazepam (Valium) or chlordiazepoxide (Librium), but it's lower potency as compared to clonazepam and I honestly can't think of other benzos of equal or longer duration and potency as clonazepam. Not to say that they aren't out there, but I question if they'd be FDA-approved for human use (research chemicals) or ones your provider would be comfortable prescribing and you using. 

Alprazolam XR has a longer half life than regular Alprazolam, but still not as long as Clonazepam. So, on the one hand, that might make things a little better as far as potential for abuse and physical dependence, but I don't know if it will last long enough for you to be effective. Yes, you could take it twice a day, but that would likely increase the risk of abuse/dependency, not to mention having no idea how your prescriber would feel about Alprazolam XR in general, let alone BID dosing. Plus, not that it's the be-all end-all authority on medicine and dose scheduling, but most websites I looked at recommended the dosing range be between 3-6mg QD on average, which seems awfully high; it definitely would be if it was instant release Alprazolam or Clonazepam.