Things that have helped you post-psychosis

What are some things that help you cope after your psychotic episodes?

I'm depressed now and it's not like the other depressions I've had.

Any film/book/food/activity that helped you cope? What is recovering like for you?

I'm specially interesed in books, films or documentaries that deal with psychosis that could help me. "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is one I'll be watching again.

For me after my first psychotic episode anti-depressants have worked well, but I'm still recovering. I don't do anything interesting in my free time - most of the time I just endlessly scroll through social media. Opening up a Tinder account and meeting new people has helped me think that not everybody in town knows what happened to me or those times that I went around yelling at strangers. But it's a bit hard still, I can't put my finger on it but after my first episode I still don't feel like myself. I miss reading and studying but I can't find the motivation to do It now. Any advice?

You might want to see if there is a NAMI Connection support group meeting in your area.  https://www.nami.org/Support-Education/Support-Groups/NAMI-Connection

It takes time to recover from a psychotic episode.  Trite but true.  I do lots of exercise, watch a lot of youtube, try and set and keep a few easy goals, email friends.  I don't do social media much  Almost two years after my last episode, the reading I do is mostly light which doesn't bother me.  When I have felt I needed to bear down and read something substantial, I've set a modest goal of pages to read daily.  You could probably spend days reading about theories of the mechanisms of psychoses, just via google.  I'm not sure if Tinder is terribly safe if you're vulnerable but I don't know.  I've done the rage-on-the-steets thing, too, so you're not alone.    

Edited by Will

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, I am glad that you asked this question, as I am still trying to find normalcy in everyday life after several episodes within recent times and the past years of my life.

What helps me stay motivated, have the "right" perspective, and stay grounded without having excessive depression is, honestly, reading about other peoples' experiences with mental health issues, learning more about mental illness in general, and talking to my best friend. I know that you mentioned that you "yelled at strangers," Well, I have too. And, I've even yelled at my own friends. I even lost several friendships over the years, mostly due to my irrational, unregulated thinking patterns that were not in place or even checked... 

I've said and done soooo many unreasonable/unfocused things that I am now realizing is part of having MI in general. The good news is that you can unlearn thought patterns, belief patterns, behavioral patterns that lead to depressive episodes and problems. It takes daily and constant practice. I agree with what Will mentioned about setting goals. Setting small and realistic goals about your thoughts, feelings and actions really set the tone for the direction that you want your life to take. To me, it is my form of "controlling" my life. Even though we do not have full control over life, you do have full control over yourself. Seriously taking one day at a time is real. I mean, you've really got to be realistic about what you can and cannot do in the moment. It's also good and useful to write down what you were able to do for the day and to leave the rest alone - not for another day or two. Just leave it alone. When you find the energy or the moment when your mind feels as though you can put your mind to it, by all means, do it.

Anyway, I can go on forever but I'd rather not do that, lol. I'm definitely going to follow this post as it helps to read about how other people cope with life after having a psychotic episode...