CrazyBoards.org

do you have your wisdom teeth?

echolocation

just something i've been thinking about lately, probably because my coworker is getting hers out on monday.

the one on my upper right side came through a couple years ago, and i just noticed that my lower right side is beginning to erupt too. i'm overdue for a dental appointment, so i'll probably have them looked at/get new x-rays soon for good measure, but they've never caused me any pain or inflammation. my orthodontist told me to have them pulled when i was a teenager, and then a dentist i saw a few years later told me there was nothing wrong with them, and they didn't have to be pulled. so i don't know! i'm just glad they don't hurt -- my coworker has had an awful time with them lately.

so, do you have any/all of yours, or did you get them yanked?

59 minutes ago, echolocation said:

just something i've been thinking about lately, probably because my coworker is getting hers out on monday.

the one on my upper right side came through a couple years ago, and i just noticed that my lower right side is beginning to erupt too. i'm overdue for a dental appointment, so i'll probably have them looked at/get new x-rays soon for good measure, but they've never caused me any pain or inflammation. my orthodontist told me to have them pulled when i was a teenager, and then a dentist i saw a few years later told me there was nothing wrong with them, and they didn't have to be pulled. so i don't know! i'm just glad they don't hurt -- my coworker has had an awful time with them lately.

I had all four taken out when o was like 18 or 19 even though they weren’t impacted yet 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, echolocation said:

This is unusual, but I didn't have any wisdom teeth, due to heredity, I think......My mom never had any either.....

My sister, on the other hand, had all of hers, which had to get pulled.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I had them pulled at 15  I don't remember much but I was swollen. My daughter had a rough time. The teeth did not bother her but after the surgery she lived on mashed potatoes and other soft food.  My son's came in straight and he did not have to have them pulled. I think they hurt him some when they came through. 

I had 2 or 3. One perpetually partially erupted, one waiting in the wings to descend, and the third I can't remember the status of. The perpetually partially erupted one was just kind of irritating over the years because it was always getting food caught in it and my tongue would always be back there searching it. Finally had them taken out around age 30 because I had a full-time job with decent dental insurance at the time. Still didn't cover all of the oral surgeon's costs but much better than paying the full bill. No issues with the twilight sleep or the recovery. Managed to justify eating a lot of ice cream in the days following.

I've since learned some dentists will do wisdom teeth but near where I am, I've only ever heard of being referred to an oral surgeon to take care of them.

• Like 1

interesting, thanks everyone for sharing! 

@aquarian, most dentists in my area won't do them. usually people get referred to an oral surgeon in the big city 1.5 hours away. there are a few who can do it closer, but some of them can only numb you for the procedure -- there's different licensing required to be fully sedated.

i have no extended dental coverage, so if the time comes that i need them out, it'll be fully out of pocket. obviously i'm very thankful that they haven't caused me any trouble thus far.

10 minutes ago, echolocation said:

interesting, thanks everyone for sharing! 

@aquarian, most dentists in my area won't do them. usually people get referred to an oral surgeon in the big city 1.5 hours away. there are a few who can do it closer, but some of them can only numb you for the procedure -- there's different licensing required to be fully sedated.

i have no extended dental coverage, so if the time comes that i need them out, it'll be fully out of pocket. obviously i'm very thankful that they haven't caused me any trouble thus far.

I live in the suburbs of one of the largest cities in the USA so we're pretty much swimming in oral surgeons around here. I went to the one my dentist recommends; he also did all of my mom's individual teeth implants. She cracked approx 1 tooth a year for several years due to teeth grinding at night so during those years she always seemed to be in some stage of the implant process--extraction, waiting to heal, putting the peg in, healing again, then the tooth. This is all because she didn't want to get a custom nightguard from the dentist and sleep with that in. Well, she finally gave in after 3-4 cracked teeth and implants and got the custom nightguard. Works great and no more cracked teeth. We joke that she she could have bought a new car for the cost of all the individual implants over the years. Implants are great though. They keep the other teeth from shifting around as you age so that you can continue to chew well, which is the main thing aside from cosmetic concerns (if any).

I only had three, both uppers and left lower. They came in when I was in my early twenties and I lived with them until…how old was I? I think I was thirty six. My jaw is small, and I bit myself constantly on the left side because I had too much tooth.

Then the dentist who removed them had apparently never heard of TMJ, and he dislocated my jaw so badly I couldn’t eat solid food for a month. This is how I know that it is in fact possible to get sick of mashed potatoes and pudding.

My wisdom teeth were pulled when I was a teenager - by an oral surgeon, not my dentist or orthodontist. My mouth isn't big enough for my other teeth, so getting the wisdom teeth out made a lot of sense. I had a palate expander as a child and even with that painful appliance, my right lateral incisor came in behind the canine. I don't remember, but it may have been pulled in the same procedure as the wisdom teeth.