CrazyBoards.org

So today my therapist threw a curve ball at me.  He prefaced it with a lot of "I just want us to explore the possibility and take some time thinking about it" and stuff like that.  But eventually he raised the possibility of medical marijuana prior to bed. 

It may be a moot point because I think my work forbids it.  But I've got an email in to our union rep in order to ask to be sure. 

Anyone use medical marijuana?  I have a friend who qualifies locally, so I can work out the mechanics with her.  My therapist said that he just knows a few people who have had good luck for the symptoms I struggle with. 

marijuana is legal recreationally where i live, but i use it exclusively before going to bed as a sleep aid and brain relief when i'm getting stuck in spirals or feel really overwhelmed. it works for me.

what symptoms are you trying to address?

Posted (edited)

thank you both.  He wants me to consider using it for sleep.  My anxiety is pretty bad, too, but that wouldn't be the main purpose.  I'd consume some before bedtime.

I've tried a lot of things and not many have been great.  He would have me ask sleep psychologist first and it would depend on my pdoc being open to it. 

I've tried it about 4-5 times in the past and it was fine...nothing miraculous, but a noticeable lift.  No psychosis, though I get that that can happen.  I'll have to watch for it given the SZA. 

Edited by dancesintherain

Posted (edited)

checking out the work impact...until I know that i'm clear on that front, I can't do it.  There's a fairly high chance that it's forbidden since it's still illegal federally. 

I'm open to giving it a try if my work doesn't complain. 

Edited by dancesintherain

my employer doesn't check at all. i mean, i work a highly-skilled white-collar job, so i don't think that there's much policing of drug use unless it's visibly apparent or something.

anyhow, marijuana in gummy bear form puts me to sleep and kinda helps with anxiety, but if i smoke it, BAM! paranoia central + panic attacks. i guess that has to do with the amount ingested? anyhow, i don't use it because i don't find it very pleasant ingested or smoked.

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2021 at 4:39 AM, dancesintherain said:

Heard back from someone who would know.  Still technically forbidden--even with a valid script--since still technically illegal from a federal law perspective. 

Recreational marijuana just made me paranoid, zoned out & dissociated with migraine (was always in social/group situations in High school when I tried it). One strain I smoked gave me delusional thoughts (ex: I was in a car with someone else driving and thought I was psychically controlling the traffic lights).  Then comes an INSANE insatiable appetite.... It was a far cry from feeling a good buzz or enjoyable "high"

I could never understand why people like it so much (I much prefer alcohol, although not much healthier....)

Have you tried CBD?  CBD products are a concentration of the CBD cannabinoid, they contain little to no THC. This is what makes CBD products different than medical marijuana: The former does not have the psychoactive effects caused by THC... You can get tinctures that have no THC and they are used for primarily sleep/ relaxation (I've tried and they do work nicely for sleep)

Edited by Blahblah

Posted (edited)

I know someone who hallucinates on marijuana. I think it can really help some people and I'm pro-legalization, but we do have to be careful when prone to psychosis, I think.

Edited by Juniper29
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Juniper29 said:

I know someone who hallucinates on marijuana. I think it can really help some people and I'm pro-legalization, but we do have to be careful when prone to psychosis, I think.

Yes, and it is *highly* contraindicated if you are taking psychiatric medications (antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzos, etc)

@dancesintherain Not sure exactly where you are (assuming US) but the laws around cannabis are changing constantly. It seems CBD products (Low THC) are legal in most states? (banning Idaho, Nebraska, Kansas).. Complicated because every state has different regulations..(many only allow for specific conditions like epilepsy)

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-medical-marijuana-laws.aspx

Edited by Blahblah

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Yes, and it is *highly* contraindicated if you are taking psychiatric medications (antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzos, etc)

Interesting, did not know that.