CrazyBoards.org

Hello!  I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I'm not really crazy per se.  Mostly I'm just sad.  My RX is in my sig.  I take all that stuff in the morning.  Here's my question: if I go out once or twice a week and have just one drink, will it really interfere with my meds that much?  It's not like I drink vodka martinis, anyway.  I like really girly drinks like buttery nipples.<--left that in for dramatic effect ;)

~CS

Hello!  I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I'm not really crazy per se.  Mostly I'm just sad.  My RX is in my sig.  I take all that stuff in the morning.  Here's my question: if I go out once or twice a week and have just one drink, will it really interfere with my meds that much?  It's not like I drink vodka martinis, anyway.  I like really girly drinks like buttery nipples.<--left that in for dramatic effect ;)

~CS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooooo, buttery nipples are so delicious! If one would be enough. I can't start on those things they are too yummy. Whenever I run all my meds through one of those drug interaction programs, the benzo is the only one that pops up as a red flag with alcohol. Oddly enough the last AD I was on and the Migraine abortive I take pop up a MAJOR red flag in this program, but docs never seemed worried about it.

I would try an experiement a home before I went out for a drink, since didn't you say it's been years since you've consumed alcohol?

We're all so different, it's so hard to predict.

Be careful...

Hugs, S9

ever seen the "girl drunk drunk" kids in the hall sketch?

those girly drinks are good at hiding lotsa alchohol.  baileys has a fairly high alcohol contenet considering how sweet and yummy it tastes.  mmmm baileys...

anyway.

just wanted to say that girly drinks aren't per se less boozey than drink drinks.

drinking on wellbutrin can increase the risk of seizure, but one drink is unlikley to mess you up. lexapro can lower tolerance, double ditto on the ativan. 

i agree with s9 that you may want to have that first drink at home.

it's unadvised to go off on benders on meds because they lower your tolerance, there are weird interactions, and it's hell on your liver.  but one drink (or maybe even two, totally depending upon the person) is probably okay.  i drink a glass of wine at night a few times a week, and on my current cocktail i'm fine with that. 

just be careful, drink water, have a designated driver, don't put your glass down at a frat party, and all those other things they tell you in alcohol awareness classes.  oh wait... i bet they didn't make you go to one of them in undergrad because you got busted for dirinking, did they? 

be good

penny

My uncle is an experienced pharmacist and said that with MOST crazy meds, it is okay to drink is MODERATION. we won't harm ourselves on one or even two glasses of wine, but going crazy on it is a BAD idea. I'm guilty of drinking too much at times- bad me- but my treatment team talked to me about this yesterday with my ADD DX and I know now I need to calm it down.

Just keep MODERATION in mind and you should be golden.

loon

My comment is that one or two is ok, once a week.

Do remember that alchohol is a depressant. Many people report that their mood destabilized a bit for 2 to 3 days after drinking. 

Also, alchohol is a sleep thief. While you may drop off to sleep easier, it disrupts the correct brain wave cycling which keeps the sleep from being full restorative.  Which makes you feel worse the next day.

Cheers,

A.M.

Heya,

Yah for me it wrecks my sleep (mmm, sleeeep) and makes me *more* depresed, *more* mixed.

(Wish I'd've figured that out 10 years ago, oh well.)

*If* I could have just one drink, that would probably be okay, and CS, likely one is okay with the meds.

I *can't* have just one, like every male, and most of the females, in my family, ever.

Alcohol like any other drug can interact with other drugs, check drug interactions anyways.

In general not a good choice for wackos.  Clouds the real issues IMHO.

--ncc--

NYPL~

What a good idea!

Yeah, I'm talking about a drink or two, once a week only.  I can't afford more than that.  I hate beer, so I usually drink expensive cocktails.

I closed at work last night, and I'm opening this morning at a store that's an hour away.

;)

~CS

• 3 months later...

I've drank on a variety of crazy meds...abilify, risperdal, seroquel, zoloft, topamax, lamictal, other SSRIs, and even Depakote. None of them ever sent me to the hospital or anything like that. In fact, all they pretty much did was get me drunk quicker, put me to bed, or basically nothing. I am on antabuse now though for being an alcohol abuser. Though I do like to drink once every 2 weeks. By the way, if you're at a bar, ask for an oatmeal cookie. I had a few of those on my 21st birthday and they were great. I've never had a buttery nipple unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

the only time i've had problems was on my 28th birthday. at the time i was on 100mg of topamax (now i'm down to 50mg), and i decided to celebrate the anniversary of my 21st and throw caution to the wind. i was ready to get nice and plastered, except it came much sooner than expected, after just 1 drink i was almost throwing up! the topa really did it in for me!

so caution to topa takers! know how much you can drink before you even have a whole cocktail! sip slow! i just chugged it down like i had never taken meds and i didn't have a care in the world. irresponsible, like a 21 yr old (no offense to the 21 year olds in the crowd- i was just like that when i was 21).

now at 50 i can have a couple, but dare not go further, due to my uncle's advice and just general common sense. i know i take some powerful meds and i respect that.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm there with tom! i have had too much before on all my meds, but i don't make a habit of it. i'd say start slow and learn your limit, just like you would if you were learning how to drink (but most of us probably went for the 21-yr-old bar rampage instead! lol)

I'm biased by my bloody addictive nature to all things that are fun and make you feel good, but it is my experience that the two don't mix, not necessarily during one sitting, but I think booze, being a CNS depressant, just fucks with the whole mechanism of what the drugs are TRYING to do to remedy the problems in our wiring of the gray matter.

However, I might just be sour grapes, no pun--never did like whine--beer and tequila! Mas Cervasas!

Good luck,

S9

ETA: do be careful though, no joke about some of these meds and alcohol putting peeps in the morgue.

Ok- i'll ask- what is a buttery nipple?
ooooooooooo, they are yummy shots, don't know what's in them Vokda and some carmel-ey liqeur (sp) the fancy shit with the low alchohol content. I never went for low-test anything when I drank, but those are good. Slurp!

S9

oooo ok, never saw this before. but i wanted to add this: i used to drink. a lot. and when i started doing crazy meds, that didnt stop. but what i noticed was this: my tolerance dissapeared. i went down to 1-2 drinks max. otherwise it was puking, and passing out, and all kindsa of disgusting things. it got to the point where drinking just wasn't fun anymore. i like to drink. i really liked to drink wine, and was well on my way to developing quite the palate and body of knowledge. But, it killed me to open a $65 (and up, i got really wine snooty really fast, and LOVE me some french wines) bottle of wine and only have a half glass before i would get tipsy and have to stop.

so yeah. if you are gonna give it a whirl i wouldn't *test* drinking when you're out. could be too dangerous. dayum. i had my first cosmopolitans out at a club and on lexapro or maybe paxil. f*ck me if that wasn't a mess.

so i don't drink anymore. got enough problems. YMMV

so i don't drink anymore. got enough problems.
Amen. I have gotten to where my depression is the single most deadly thing coming at me today, and I will do ANYTHING (including going back to AA meetings) to not slip back into drinking even a few times a week. I feel like a borderline alky, but I'm a hard core dope fiend and as such my tolerance levels are through the roof on the drugs I do take, prescribed and as prescribed. So, adding alcohol to the mix of pain, depression and anxiety meds I am currently on to me is like just begging my metabolism to take a shit and there i'll be tits up in the morgue. Another Dr. G story. Fuck that.

I didn't come all this way to not kill myself to kill myself by accidental overdose, and that would be my luck.

S9

• 1 month later...

One time years ago, I had a couple beers while taking a low dose of Ativan, and I almost stopped breathing. Benzos and alcohol are like playing Russian roulette. Can kill you.

Otherwise, I agree with folks that moderation is important, and yeah alcohol seems to usually make my moods less stable over the following couple days than the previous ones. So if you're mood is inordinately stable, drink up. Just maybe don't mix the Ativan with the buttery nipples.

Alcohol really fucks with the medications and stops them from working. When I was a heavy boozer and on 40mgs of Prozac and 30mgs of Abilify, I was still depressed and psychotic as all hell. Recently after a long spell of sobriety I treated myself to a couple of wine spritzers - just made me feel depressed and paranoid. Back on the wagon for me, life is so much merrier without alcohol, I never thought I'd ever say it but it's true. I will have a couple of drinks at Christmas though - gonna wet Baby Jesus's head with Asti Spumante (classy!) I will be spending Christmas with my mother (another recovering drunkard) and we will sip wine and be merry but we will be back on the wagon come the 1st January, in no way do I want to go back to a booze-fuelled existence. I will only ever drink on special occasions and no hard liquor. I miss the feeling of being merry after a few drinks, any more than a few made me terribly depressed and actively suicidal. But one or two a week won't hurt, you gotta treat yourself!

Archived