Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Best Ritalin augmentation? (Antidepressant)


Recommended Posts

This is more of a poll to see everyone's favorite med that augments Ritalin? Unfortunately, I don't have access to Adderall, Dex, or any other stimulants (not available/authorized here). So..... I'm debating on switching out my A/D... I'm leaning towards going back to Effexor.

My pdoc also suggested Abilify to augment, but seems that would be counterproductive, I'm not thrilled about the side effects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

This is more of a poll to see everyone's favorite med that augments Ritalin? Unfortunately, I don't have access to Adderall, Dex, or any other stimulants (not available/authorized here). So..... I'm debating on switching out my A/D... I'm leaning towards going back to Effexor.

My pdoc also suggested Abilify to augment, but seems that would be counterproductive, I'm not thrilled about the side effects.

What symptoms are you wanting to treat with the augment? 

I see you've tried quite a lot of ADs.....I noticed you haven't tried Viibryd, though....It is considered to be an SSRI.

Also noticed you haven't yet tried Luvox (Fluvoxamine) or Paxil......They are also SSRIs.

The Prozac dose you are on (10mg) is a pretty low dose.....If the Prozac agrees with you, you have plenty of room to go up on it, if pdoc agrees.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

This is more of a poll to see everyone's favorite med that augments Ritalin? Unfortunately, I don't have access to Adderall, Dex, or any other stimulants (not available/authorized here). So..... I'm debating on switching out my A/D... I'm leaning towards going back to Effexor.

My pdoc also suggested Abilify to augment, but seems that would be counterproductive, I'm not thrilled about the side effects.

depends on what the problem symptoms are. FWIW- very low doses of abilify may not cause all of the shitty side effects, or at least have a lower profile. Obviously not a given there. What was your experience with effexor the first time around and why are you leaning towards that? 

if youre treating more of the depressive symptoms and not anxiety rexulti may be an option if thats around where you live 

oh- what about paxil, less activation that prozac might be good for anxiety centric issues 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

What symptoms are you wanting to treat with the augment? 

I see you've tried quite a lot of ADs.....I noticed you haven't tried Viibryd, though....It is considered to be an SSRI.

Also noticed you haven't yet tried Luvox (Fluvoxamine) or Paxil......They are also SSRIs.

The Prozac dose you are on (10mg) is a pretty low dose.....If the Prozac agrees with you, you have plenty of room to go up on it, if pdoc agrees.

I'd love something that will boost the effects of the Ritalin. And stop this Anhedonia..... ! While my "major" depression and anxiety is (for the most part) covered, I have persistent, longterm apathy, no motivation, no engagement in anything. Nothing is pleasurable. Lethargy. I am ALWAYS mentally and physically tired - (despite having no other physical reasons to be).

I forgot, I was actually considering Viibryd (if they even have it here) I will ask my pdoc. Typical SSRIs all make me more flat/ tired.

 

19 hours ago, Iceberg said:

depends on what the problem symptoms are. FWIW- very low doses of abilify may not cause all of the shitty side effects, or at least have a lower profile. Obviously not a given there. What was your experience with effexor the first time around and why are you leaning towards that? 

if youre treating more of the depressive symptoms and not anxiety rexulti may be an option if thats around where you live 

oh- what about paxil, less activation that prozac might be good for anxiety centric issues 

 

(See above for my residual symptoms, mostly anhedonia, lethargy)...  I stopped Effexor because of the short half-life (sometimes I accidentally miss doses, get brain zaps). Plus my eye doctor said it was causing my extreme dry eye and stressed that it can lead to issues with my eyesight (which was perfect until 3 years ago)

It's a real shame because I've heard here that high-dose Effexor actually works more on Dopamine (versus low dose, being more like an SSRI) I had only gone up to 150mg because of the increased dry eye issue at higher doses 😞

At the same time, she says Ritalin exacerbates dry eye also. I think I've been experiencing some paradoxical effects from it (like I take it afternoon and immediately feel zoned out and super drained, can just stare at a wall for hours...almost worse than when I don't take the afternoon dose)

Edited by Blahblah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

I'd love something that will boost the effects of the Ritalin. And stop this Anhedonia..... ! While my "major" depression and anxiety is (for the most part) covered, I have persistent, longterm apathy, no motivation, no engagement in anything. Nothing is pleasurable. Lethargy. I am ALWAYS mentally and physically tired - (despite having no other physical reasons to be).

I forgot, I was actually considering Viibryd (if they even have it here) I will ask my pdoc. Typical SSRIs all make me more flat/ tired.

I'm curious about why you stopped Trintellix and Wellbutrin......And also, what doses did you try with those?

How long did you try them?....It can take up to six weeks for full effect of an antidepressant.

Both of these meds are considered good for anhedonia.....Here's an article on Trintellix:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00017/full

And Wellbutrin:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032702003063

I can't find anything on how Viibryd affects anhedonia, but it would certainly be worth a try if it's available in your area.....Although, here's a link comparing Trintellix vs Viibryd:

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/trintellix-vs-viibryd/

_______Also, I forgot about Fetzima...It is a newer SNRI, approved here in the U.S. in 2013....Don't know if it's available where you are, but it's worth mentioning.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@CrazyRedhead I was on Trintillex for a good 3 months I think. I didn't notice any difference from effects of SSRIs (Prozac). In fact, I think people referred to it as the "new Prozac" because it is so similar in function. I usually do trials of 2-3 months (unless intolerable side effects). It was very expensive I recall, dunno if there's a generic?

Wellbutrin I've done 3 different trials. I had such high hopes for that one! The only effect I noticed was Tinnitus, increased heartrate, restless legs. Didn't seems to effect my mood or motivation. But I've never tried in combo with ritalin (docs seem concerned about heart issues with these)

Ugh. I'm so tempted to just titrate off everything & do a wash-out. I've never been on more than like 3-4 meds at one time, but I hate when you don't feel like things are cutting it or working well enough... I just want to feel good...

Edited by Blahblah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

@CrazyRedhead I was on Trintillex for a good 3 months I think. I didn't notice any difference from effects of SSRIs (Prozac). In fact, I think people referred to it as the "new Prozac" because it is so similar in function. I usually do trials of 2-3 months (unless intolerable side effects). It was very expensive I recall, dunno if there's a generic?

Trintellix is still brand only, no generic yet....(I take it, and it is expensive, although my insurance pays most of the cost).

Are you still taking the 10mg of Prozac?..........If so, you could try going up on the Prozac a bit, if pdoc agrees.....10mg is a pretty low dose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Are you still taking the 10mg of Prozac?..........If so, you could try going up on the Prozac a bit, if pdoc agrees.....10mg is a pretty low dose.

i think this a good suggestion too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2021 at 2:22 PM, Blahblah said:

I'd love something that will boost the effects of the Ritalin. And stop this Anhedonia..... ! While my "major" depression and anxiety is (for the most part) covered, I have persistent, longterm apathy, no motivation, no engagement in anything. Nothing is pleasurable. Lethargy. I am ALWAYS mentally and physically tired - (despite having no other physical reasons to be).

I forgot, I was actually considering Viibryd (if they even have it here) I will ask my pdoc. Typical SSRIs all make me more flat/ tired.

 

 

(See above for my residual symptoms, mostly anhedonia, lethargy)...  I stopped Effexor because of the short half-life (sometimes I accidentally miss doses, get brain zaps). Plus my eye doctor said it was causing my extreme dry eye and stressed that it can lead to issues with my eyesight (which was perfect until 3 years ago)

It's a real shame because I've heard here that high-dose Effexor actually works more on Dopamine (versus low dose, being more like an SSRI) I had only gone up to 150mg because of the increased dry eye issue at higher doses 😞

Was it IR or XR Effexor you were on?  I find the XR versiom to be better than the IR I started out on.  Plus no issues if I miss a dose.  (Albeit I am taking baby dose 2 times a day)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wellbutrin has been a miracle God send antidepressant. I was abusing Ritalin, because I also experience anhedonia, apathy and tired all the time so I was taking daily a box of methylphenidate with 30 tablets each one, taken orally, snorted and sublingual. Yes 300mg per day, I was out of money everytime just thinking for my next dose. That wasn't life. My psychiatrist suggested me Bupropion (Wellbutrin) 150mg XR in the morning and 150 at night. The real change was when I upped my dose by myself to 450mg (2-0-1) and incredible subtle works amazing now I can see more clear what a disaster I was and believe me at the max recommend dose is where I literally don't crave ritalin snorted or whatever the route of administration, I unbelieve how much Wellbutrin gave me joy of life, when there was light in the end of the road. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2021 at 2:32 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

Are you still taking the 10mg of Prozac?..........If so, you could try going up on the Prozac a bit, if pdoc agrees.....10mg is a pretty low dose.

Yep, Prozac stops me crashing into dysphoria, but it seems the higher you go on A/Ds, the more flat, numb and tired I become. I just feel like it's too much.... it's not "mood brightening" for me like Ritalin was...

 

On 6/23/2021 at 2:06 AM, helenllama said:

Was it IR or XR Effexor you were on?  I find the XR versiom to be better than the IR I started out on.  Plus no issues if I miss a dose.  (Albeit I am taking baby dose 2 times a day)  

I think I've tried both, as the XR came out after the IR was on the market.

 

12 hours ago, Equilibrium022x said:

Wellbutrin has been a miracle God send antidepressant. I was abusing Ritalin, because I also experience anhedonia, apathy and tired all the time so I was taking daily a box of methylphenidate with 30 tablets each one, taken orally, snorted and sublingual. Yes 300mg per day, I was out of money everytime just thinking for my next dose. That wasn't life.

My psychiatrist suggested me Bupropion (Wellbutrin) 150mg XR in the morning and 150 at night. The real change was when I upped my dose by myself to 450mg (2-0-1) and incredible subtle works amazing now I can see more clear what a disaster I was and believe me at the max recommend dose is where I literally don't crave ritalin snorted or whatever the route of administration, I unbelieve how much Wellbutrin gave me joy of life, when there was light in the end of the road. 

This is really encouraging to hear. Yikes, how were you getting 30 boxes of ritalin each month (I assume not legally). The issue with stimulants I've found, you need to keep increasing the longer you are on them. Taking even a month-long break has not made much difference. i can barely feel it kicking in and don't feel energized any more. Maybe it fries the pathways over time?

I think I only took up to 300mg Wellbutrin (because docs never would increase over the max due to possible heart effects and increased chance of seizures). What effect did you notice when you first started it? Did you feel effect right away? Are you currently taking any other meds along with it?

Edited by Blahblah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By sming
      Hey,
      So about 5pm every day of late, my mood just turns black. I can't buy a neutral (forget positive) cognition or emotion, I start to feel and think very negatively no matter what I do. Of course, I'm feeling and thinking badly beforehand, but it just sinks to another level, or depth if you will. 
      So I'm wondering if it's a med (or meds) that I'm taking that's losing effect around 5pm. I take the following meds - yes, it's a crazy-looking brew I know, but it allows me to function somewhat - at 6am (in milligrams):
      200 Provigil, 2.5 Abilify, 40 Fetzima, 30 Lexapro, 15 BuSpar, 150 Lyrica, 10 Percocet and these at 2pm:
      150 Lyrica, 15 BuSpar and these 4 times a day, where the last dose is typically 2pm:
      15 Adderall 10 Percocet (for chronic pain) and these at 7pm for sleep:
      150 Trazodone, 50 Benedryl It's impossible to confidently predict a "culprit" but if anyone has any hunches, I'd love to hear them.
      For example, today I'm splitting (some of) the 6am batch into two and  taking the second half at 2pm as an experiment. I feel that empirical experimentation might be the way to go because the theory is too complex with this many psychotropic medications in play. 
      Cheers , Pete
    • By Blahblah
      I'm struggling to adjust my Ritalin dosage. It really helps with cognition/focus (and even mood balance), pdoc recently increased my dose. I take 30mg (LA) morning, and now 10mg (LA) in late afternoon. I'm OK on morning dose until about 2pm after I eat lunch...then energy really tapers off, I start to get more distracted, then I take afternoon dose by 4pm.
      The afternoon dose makes me immediately sleepy. This effect seems really paradoxical! Is there something I can do to reduce this? Caffeine??  IR form only lasts like 2 hours & I crash, so I want to avoid that. Where I live, its tough to get anything other than Ritalin...
      I read that some stimulants (such as Ritalin & Adderall) are better for reducing Hyperactivity - which may be why I feel so sleepy/dazed when taking it in afternoons? I've never been hyperactive....
      Would Vyvanse be better in this regard (helping with both focus + causing less sleepiness)?
    • By Blahblah
      I'm sorry if this question is redundant....
      @notloki I know you're knowledgeable here.
      I've been getting very inconsistent effects from Ritalin. I recently increased my dosage, because I was experiencing more fatigue afternoons and having to nap. I take 20mg (extended in morning, before I get up), then I take 10mg (extended) after lunch. Pdoc said I could take 10mgIR no later than 3pm if needed.
      I'm compliant with this routine. Dose 40 minutes before getting up, same exact breakfast every morning: oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, nuts, coffee. Yesterday, I felt pretty good and energetic in the morning (both mentally and physically). Then today, I feel focused..yet, (sort of zombie-dazed staring at screen), incredibly drowsy/tired and apathetic, like I really need to nap. I get plenty of sleep every night.
      Is there a reason this is happening? Seems doses effect me differently all the time. I prefer extended because the IR (while it hits more noticeably) I feel more intense energy crash and can become moody...Note: Pdoc will not let me change until I hit the max (60mg), and other stimulants (even Adderall) are either extremely hard or impossible to get prescribed here.
    • By Blahblah
      Started using my new fitness tracker. Tracks sleep & heartrate also. I'm not sure how accurate it is (500 great reviews said it was). But I'm quite worried with results I'm getting. My resting Heartrate jumps around erratically from 70-100. After sitting at breakfast it's like 90-115. I am healthy weight/slim, eat really well, usually fit (though really inactive last 3-4 mos).
      Literally, when I woke up today (before any meds), I tracked, and it jumped all around from 68-95. I hadn't even got out of bed!! The other day, I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks, then tested....it was 120-130, heart pounding in ears, really tight chest, with slight cough/phlegm congestion in throat....I do some stretching, forward bends then feel very dizzy.
      Is this normal or am I just really out of shape? I have low blood pressure and when I run lately, HR goes up to 180 which is max. Is this dangerous? @mikl_pls ? How long do you have to be doing fitness in order to get it down to fit/normal??
      Oh, too add, I did an ECG a couple years ago, and nothing abnormal was found. Also did a "Fitness test" on a bike with oxygen mask (5 years ago though) doctor just said I was unfit.
    • By Blahblah
      Pdoc FINALLY upped Ritalin (LA) to 30mg in morning, and I take 10mg (IR) in afternoon. Been on consistently about 1.5 years (note, it’s a real pain to get it here, they treat it like street meth & it’s the most benign stimulant!!)
      I have bad energy crashes within 5 hours, then crave chocolate (which I usually dislike), I have more coffee. The IR 10mg in afternoon seems to do nothing. Trying the 20mg IR in afternoon, which might be better, but wears off in 2 hours, I don’t want to mess up my sleep or jack up my heart rate.
      Note, I’m not taking for ADD (but for depression add-on) my physical energy, alertness & motivation just crashes now. I just get tired & need to nap.
      Any ideas? (I’m 50kg) Pdoc says they dose per kg, usually 50mg-60mg max for me. If I increase again, I’ll quickly be screwed (it initially worked so well!). I know Adderall is more potent, but worried about neurotoxicity and irreparable brain damage when I eventually go off (don’t plan on being on forever). I’ve heard Adderall is more “speedy” and can be agitating as well.
×
×
  • Create New...