CrazyBoards.org

Social Security took money out of my bank account!!!

Hi,

Yes. It is the real december brigette from years ago. I've mostly lost my mind the past few days and then this happens. Let me catch you up. 

I have a job. That I'm quite good at. I *might* even be up for a promotion. I'm also an Ed.D candidate and I.HAVE.NO.TIME.

My ticket-to-work employment person (or whatever they are called) has been collecting my paystubs as I turn them in when I get paid. We discovered that I was getting an overpayment. I sent a check to social security back in Feb this year. They sent the check back to me with a letter that there is no over payment. My employment lady says this happens all the time. So....I left that overpayment money in my bank account. I did not touch it. 

I've been waiting for the SS to send me a letter saying "Whoops, you do have an overpayment, we will accept your check now." 

Never received such letter. 

I did move - a month ago. I changed my address with the PO. I've been receiving other forwarded mail. I didn't even think about changing it with SS until today. 

Today I go on my bank app to make a zelle payment to my partner for my portion of the new sofa we just bought. There wasn't very much money in there.....

why?

Social Security took out $4500.00!!!

I thought that was illegal. 

How does this even happen? 

What do I do? Yes, I have emailed my ticket-to-work chick. 

db

• Like 1

15 hours ago, decemberbrigette said:

What do I do? Yes, I have emailed my ticket-to-work chick. 

Yes, you need to talk to your ticket to work (TTW) representative ASAP.

Are you on SSDI, or SSI?.......If you are on SSI, there is a limit on how much money/assets you can have available.......I believe you are not allowed to have more than 2000  in the bank, if you are single.....If married, not more than 3000.

Did you put any money in that bank account that you did not disclose to SSA? 

How much was the "overpayment money" that you left in your account?

SSA could have mailed you a notification to your old address, in the month after you moved, that is certainly possible....I hope you have now notified them of your change of address......That's very important.

This might be helpful: https://pocketsense.com/can-money-out-bank-account-8652014.html

My guess is that you may have missed an important notification, because they mailed it to your old address....You might want to contact the SSA directly and find out.....I hope you can get this resolved.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Hi Nice to see you.  I had an overpayment and they let me make payments. No talk of taking money out of my account.  I am sorry that happened. That seems unusual. Sorry.. I don't have advice, just agree it sucks

Thanks!! 

Only SSDI...no SSI. 

We moved May 11 and I told the PO in April to make my address change effective May 1. So, yes I was still getting mail at both addresses up until we said "Hell out" on May 11. (Back story - I'm fortunate to have a partner use his savings for a down payment on a house). 

I tried calling SS today but they are closed as the new federal holiday went into effect. 

CrazyRedHead - yes, I've memorized that site. I also want to ask my bank why they let this happen? 

3 hours ago, decemberbrigette said:

Thanks!! 

Only SSDI...no SSI. 

We moved May 11 and I told the PO in April to make my address change effective May 1. So, yes I was still getting mail at both addresses up until we said "Hell out" on May 11. (Back story - I'm fortunate to have a partner use his savings for a down payment on a house). 

I tried calling SS today but they are closed as the new federal holiday went into effect. 

CrazyRedHead - yes, I've memorized that site. I also want to ask my bank why they let this happen? 

Hmmm....That's very strange......You can talk to your bank, but I don't know if they can give you an answer or not.

I think you will only be able to find out for sure by talking to SSA directly, or maybe your ticket-to-work representative might have an idea.

4500 is a lot of money.......Was that the amount of your overpayment?

SSA is supposed to notify you before they do something drastic like garnish your bank account........I'm still thinking they may have sent you a notification that went to your old address somehow.

I guess the only thing you can do is call them Monday.......So sorry this happened to you.

Thank you everyone!

Even though I never updated my address with Social Security - they have my new address. As I discovered Monday when I called. 

I've been working it out with my ticket-to-work person and Social Security. It's been a bit of a strange week. 

Oddly, I did receive the overpayment notice YESTERDAY!! HA! 

Thank you for all your help!!

db

• Like 2