15 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Has anyone ever done a med wash?

Personally, no, I haven't......Is your NP suggesting this?

I couldn't find out much about it by searching, but a complete med wash would mean taking you off all your medications for a period of time.......Hopefully this would be done by tapering, and not a "cold turkey" abrupt stop.....

I'm guessing that the time period of a washout might vary, depending on the half lives of the meds you're taking.

According to what I found, it is not very commonly done, and maybe that's why the info I found was pretty limited.

Here is an article about medication washout, but it's pretty long: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215520/

Quote from the above article: "Washout, as a clinical tool, is rarely done in medication management today"

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I started the worst of it in IP- after a few days they cross tapered me onto something new (low dose Zyprexa) and once that started to kick in they discharged me with detailed taper schedules. For reference, At the time I was on lithium, lamictal, Depakote, trileptal, seroquel (both Ir and XR) Latuda, klonopin (all at high or moderately high doses) and ended up on a higher dose of lithium and Zyprexa (and with a new pdoc) 

I did end up in a better place (temporarily at least) but the first week ip was brutal  

Edited by Iceberg

Cheese, is this something your care provider is recommending? Because trying to “reset” one’s meds baseline is not a thing that someone should attempt to do on his or her own. It’s not as though our heads get cluttered like an old attic with leftover bits of meds - our meds get metabolized by our bodies at various rates and the resulting compounds are filtered from our systems via kidneys and liver.

If by “meds wash” you mean stopping all meds until you’re certain there’s nothing at all in your system - i.e., that you’re now completely unmedicated - only to start up again, this makes little sense. You’d simply be going right back to where you were before you discontinued, except that now you’ll have to wait for the meds to reach a therapeutic level in your system now that you’ve interrupted the state you had already established.

The notion that the meds that you just stopped taking will suddenly start working differently in your system when you start the very same meds again also has no clear basis. Unless you have a specific reason to believe that a pause is going to somehow change the way the med works in your system (and by “specific reason” I mean a reason given to you by your doctor) then it simply doesn’t make sense.

If you’re talking about clearing out your system of your current meds in order to replace them with different meds, that’s not a conversation you should have with us; you should definitely be talking about a change that significant directly with your doctor.

And to be absolutely frank and candid with you, from what we have observed here of your condition in recent months, I cannot in any way get behind the idea of you discontinuing treatment for any length of time, especially if you’re not doing it on the advice and under the close supervision of your doctor.

This “wash” sound very baby-out-with-the-bathwater to me.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...