CrazyBoards.org

The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends that fully vaccinated people should still wear masks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/06/25/who-urges-fully-vaccinated-people-to-continue-wearing-masks-as-delta-variant-spreads-but-no-word-from-cdc/?sh=2f4d41f641f9

I just got my second shot of Pfizer last week, so I won't officially be fully vaccinated until next week.

Anyway, it's really confusing when the CDC here in the U.S,. says that fully vaccinated folks don't need to wear a mask anymore....And then the WHO says we should wear masks even if we're fully vaccinated.

I think the WHO is really concerned about the Delta variant, which is now cropping up in the U.S.

This is my concern, too, as well as most states (including mine), have dropped most of the mask mandates, although masks are still required for using public transportation (buses, etc), and flying on a plane.

I don't go out all that much, because I need help to go out, but what about the unvaccinated people walking around with no masks, inside stores?....Store employees aren't checking to make sure unmasked people are vaccinated, not yet at least.

So, when I do go out to a public store, which is extremely rare, I have decided to continue wearing a mask in that situation, even though I'll soon be fully vaccinated...I guess, at least here in the U.S., it's a choice that vaccinated folks must make for themselves.

No word yet from the CDC about WHO's recommendation.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I'm fully vaxxed and still wear my mask. I have a kid who can't be vaccinated yet. I think a lot of the people walking around unmasked are not vaccinated as it seems the people against masks are usually against vaccines as well.

And I agree it's very confusing.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Juniper29 said:

I'm fully vaxxed and still wear my mask. I have a kid who can't be vaccinated yet. I think a lot of the people walking around unmasked are not vaccinated as it seems the people against masks are usually against vaccines as well.

And I agree it's very confusing.

I'm mostly scared of the unmasked folks who aren't vaccinated.....They are putting others at risk, not just themselves.....How selfish they are......I have already heard of unvaccinated folks trying to get fake vaccination cards......

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/08/health/forged-covid-19-vaccine-cards-warning/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/08/1004264531/fake-covid-vaccine-cards-keep-getting-sold-online-using-one-is-a-crime

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I’m thinking I’ll wear a mask when I go out. It’s required still at my job, but that’s still mostly remote for now. I don’t trust people to be honest about being vaccinated. It could get awkward. 

We still have a mask mandate here.  Not talking about removing it until August. But then case numbers are growing like crazy in those unvaccinated (so most 16/17 year olds, every one under 16 and those who are 18+ who are still waiting for the first dose) and those who have only had one dose of the vaccine.. 

People who are double vaccinated can still catch and spread Covid, so it makes sense for the mask mandates to stay. 

Straight and simple here - it's a criminal offence not to wear a mask in public. But we are way behind with vaccinations  - now that they've finished with frontline workers, they're currently only busy with people in the general public over 50 yrs old. I'm in my forties and do not expect to become eligible until August (optimistic) or September (realistic).

Basically, I don't foresee the mask mandate changing for a while yet to come, which I'm 100% happy with. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, helenllama said:

We still have a mask mandate here.  Not talking about removing it until August. But then case numbers are growing like crazy in those unvaccinated (so most 16/17 year olds, every one under 16 and those who are 18+ who are still waiting for the first dose) and those who have only had one dose of the vaccine.. 

People who are double vaccinated can still catch and spread Covid, so it makes sense for the mask mandates to stay. 

Here in the U.S., most if not all states have lifted their mask mandates, which I don't agree with....I think it's way too soon to lift mask requirements.

Overall, only about 50% of the population in U.S. is fully vaccinated, although in my state itself, it's close to 60%.......As of now, here in the U.S., the vaccine is freely available to anyone 12 yrs old and older, but we have some pockets of very low vaccination rates, especially, in the deep south and midwest states.

I don't trust the general public.....Some, maybe quite a few, unmasked folks aren't vaccinated yet......So, I'm still wearing one.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Overall, only about 50% of the population in U.S. is fully vaccinated, although in my state itself, it's close to 60%...

I'm also concerned about the children under 12, who can't be vaccinated yet.....Another good reason to still mask up.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Most people here are not wearing masks anymore, except in a few settings where it's still required, like medical settings or activities for kids.

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I'm also concerned about the children under 12, who can't be vaccinated yet.....Another good reason to still mask up.

Yep.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Here in the U.S., most if not all states have lifted their mask mandates, which I don't agree with....I think it's way too soon to lift mask requirements.

Overall, only about 50% of the population in U.S. is fully vaccinated, although in my state itself, it's close to 60%.......As of now, here in the U.S., the vaccine is freely available to anyone 12 yrs old and older, but we have some pockets of very low vaccination rates, especially, in the deep south and midwest states.

I don't trust the general public.....Some, maybe quite a few, unmasked folks aren't vaccinated yet......So, I'm still wearing one.

At the moment the UK has no plans to vaccinate the 12-15 age group.  However they are planning to give boosters to the 50+, and the high risk groups for either flu or covid in the autumn. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, helenllama said:

At the moment the UK has no plans to vaccinate the 12-15 age group. 

Was there a reason given why not?.......Just curious...

Edited by CrazyRedhead

As I’ve heard it explained, the WHO is looking at the problem globally, whereas the CDC is only thinking about the U.S. The WHO is looking at the planet as if it’s one entity, and saying “Given the overall low vaccination rate of the population (the human race), we think it’s smart to keep masking.” The CDC is only looking at the U.S., and they’re concluding that enough people have been vaccinated that it’s ok to go unmasked.

Here’s a handy graphic:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

I have no remaining faith in the CDC, and will continue masking indefinitely.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, helenllama said:

Because very few school age children become seriously ill. 

But some do ... I would hope there's an exception for kids who are medically at risk for a serious case and that there are plans to vaccinate those individuals.

• Like 1

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is staffed by career professional doctors and scientists who have devoted their lives to public service to addressing the causes and treatments of some of the worst scourges to face mankind. Their task is daunting. Making it exponentially more difficult is the fact that they must contend with politicians who seek to leverage their work for partisan ends. The doctors and scientists, however, know that viruses and bacteria answer to no party or platform, and the people on the ground are doing the hard work of trying to find answers to extremely difficult medical problems while under pressure to do so at an unreasonably rapid pace. That pace is brought on by the need to save lives, but also by the impatience and assumptions of an uninformed populace that has become used to instant gratification.

Cut them some slack.

They're doing the best they can in an impossible situation, at a time when our society has gone dog-barking irrationally insane. The state we're in with COVID-19 in the United States is one we have brought on ourselves  through our dysfunctional politics, our long-festering social divides, and the infuriating American tendency for smug self-satisfaction that says we can't possibly be wrong about anything. The situation has been made incalculably worse by the demagoguery of Donald Trump, who very intentionally sought to discredit science and fact-based policy. Now it's biting us in the ass, and we're still not getting it.

The World Health Organization quite rightly shapes its policies around the global situation. That's their sphere. The CDC quite rightly confines theirs to a national scope - they're an agency of a national government. It would not make sense for the CDC to shape policy for the United States on the basis of the statistics of a country, or group of countries, beyond our borders whose situation with COVID is radically different than our situation on the ground. It would make no more sense than one of those countries shaping their policies as though they had already achieved vaccination rates on a par with the U.S.

If you have lost faith in the government, or authorities in general, as a result of the current political/social climate, that's understandable. Do not lose faith in science, or the scientists at the CDC who are trying to help us.

To say that one must continue to wear a mask at all times is the equivalent of saying that vaccination is ineffective. That is not the case.  The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been shown to have efficacy of up to 95-98% in preventing either infection or serious symptoms if infection occurs. Early results suggest that Pfizer is 85% effective against even the Delta variant. Yes, the mask will provide an added layer of protection against the unvaccinated. But consider this: As a vaccinated person, wearing the mask may also signal to an unvaccinated person that you believe vaccinations really aren't effective, and discourage them from actually getting one.

No one is guaranteed a risk-free life. Every day, we must weigh the risks we choose to take, even if it's only to decide whether to go outdoors to check the mail, or to walk down the stairs. I read recently that a 70-year-old person has a greater risk of dying just getting out of bed than a person has of dying from taking a dose of heroin. (Note to self: Sleep on the floor after I turn 70.) We weigh our risk against what we want to do, we do what we can to mitigate the risk, and then we get on with life. The alternative is to live in fear and fail to achieve the things we want to achieve. If you find you are making a decision based on fear, stop. Gather information from multiple sources, think it through, weigh the risk, make logical decisions to reduce the risk, then move sensibly ahead without fear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2