So things are going pretty well.  I almost don't want to rock the boat by changing anything.  But I'm still having auditory hallucinations nearly every night at bedtime and occasionally during the day if I'm in my bedroom.  I don't want to accept that as as good as it gets, though I guess I might have to.  I stayed at a friend's house last night and, true to past experience, I had no auditory hallucinations at bedtime.  It was bliss.  It made me realize just how much I want the last of the hallucinations to go away.

I'm going down on zyprexa and if all goes as planned, I'll be off it completely within a month (currently at 5mg).  Fanapt is my main AAP and does a really good job (I was previously dealing with close to constant hallucinations).  I can't increase the dose because my pdoc doesn't want me to take more than 12mg at one time and I can't take it at night because it gives me insomnia (ironically).

The only two AAPs that I haven't tried are rexulti and vraylar.  Do either of those show potential for hallucinations?  If so, what are their typical side effects? 

The only typical AP that I've ever tried is thorazine and that's because I was really out of it and they needed to hit me with something quickly.  It was way too much, but I don't know what dose they gave me.  Would any of the typical APs be something I should consider?

thanks!

@dancesintherain

For what you are asking, I’ve taken rexulti, vraylar, and haldol.

I currently take 2 mg rexulti. I find it’s different from abilify. Rexulti really calms me and I believe it helps with the voices I hear too. I recently switched it from noon to bedtime and boy did my brain notice that. I started having psychotic symptoms. But when I took it finally, I felt better. I’m fact, I have been thinking of asking my dr to increase it to the max dose. I don’t have side effects from this dose though so I’m not sure if I should increase it.

Vraylar was a horrible horrible thing for me. I had nightmares, EXTREME anxiety nonstop, stomach problems, it didn’t touch my symptoms - made everything worse. I usually do well with AAPs. I won’t touch that one again. That really caused me problems and it lasts so long in your system too. So if you have to stop it, it takes a while for it to get out.

Haldol? I took 15 mg daily for such a brief period. I don’t know if I gave it a fair  shot. I didn’t notice any increased appetite though or sedation, which was nice. But I was freaking out about possible TD so I quit it. 

22 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

only typical AP that I've ever tried is thorazine and that's because I was really out of it and they needed to hit me with something quickly.  It was way too much, but I don't know what dose they gave me.  Would any of the typical APs be something I should consider

Ever tried loxapine? Some People have good success with that here...I’ve tried perphenazine, twice, but I really don’t think it does much. I liked Vraylar over rexulti but it seems like I’m the only one that dose. Both approved for schizo, so yes they supposedly treat psychosis, but I haven’t read anything stating they’re any better than other aps 

thanks Cheese and Iceberg.

Cheese, I appreciate your experience with the various options.  That's helpful to know.

Iceberg, I haven't tried loxapine.  It can go in the worth considering category.  My problems with other APs isn't an effectiveness issue, but is that I hit really bad side effects with nearly all.  Risperdal gave me pseudoparkinsonianism, seroquelXR caused movement-related issues, invega caused balance issues. 

If all are the same, I might try rexulti over vraylar just because of hte long half-life issue cheese mentioned. 

I'll see what my pdoc thinks.  This might be premature because she might want me off zyprexa for a few weeks before starting something new.  But I just wanted to see what's out there. 

So she took the step today that I thought she would take--stopped the 5mg of zyprexa. 

As far as next steps are concerned, she's open to the possibility of rexulti or loxapine (though she preferred rexulti), but would ideally like to try playing around with the depakote dosage and/or gabapentin dosage first.  I don't see how either of those changes make sense.  Maybe they do and I'm just missing it.  I understand not wanting another drug--I don't really either--but I want to get rid of the residual hallucinations.  She also debated starting a daytime dosage of gabapentin.  I nixed that as we have already tried it really recently. 

So, confusion. 

Edited by dancesintherain

• 2 weeks later...

So weird things have happened.  As stated, I was hearing hallucinations at bedtime when I tried to fall asleep.  I only noticed them in my bedroom, not when I stayed in the guest bedroom or when I visited a friend or family.  

Then I had a friend stay over and didn’t need me fan and I didn’t have any hallucinations either.  I experimented a few times after that with turning the fan off and found that the hallucinations went away when it was off and came back when it was on.  I replaced the fan last night (at my therapist’s suggestion) and it’s not happening with the new one.

they were definitely hallucinations.  And they weren’t the only hallucinations I was having.  But they were the main ones and now they’re gone now that I’m not using that one fan.

weird.  Guess it’s good I didn’t start another AP/AAP.  Though my sleep is crappy.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, dancesintherain said:

So weird things have happened.  As stated, I was hearing hallucinations at bedtime when I tried to fall asleep.  I only noticed them in my bedroom, not when I stayed in the guest bedroom or when I visited a friend or family.  

Then I had a friend stay over and didn’t need me fan and I didn’t have any hallucinations either.  I experimented a few times after that with turning the fan off and found that the hallucinations went away when it was off and came back when it was on.  I replaced the fan last night (at my therapist’s suggestion) and it’s not happening with the new one.

they were definitely hallucinations.  And they weren’t the only hallucinations I was having.  But they were the main ones and now they’re gone now that I’m not using that one fan.

weird.  Guess it’s good I didn’t start another AP/AAP.  Though my sleep is crappy.

I’ve never heard of anything like that! Weird is right! I’m so happy for you though! Good news!!!!!