CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
lemonflavor

How much sleep do we REALLY need?

It seems like I need at the very least 10.5 hours of sleep along with a nap when I'm really depressed, which is a fair amount of the time. Do we really need this much sleep or does it just seem like it? Does the depression and anxiety wear us out or is our body fooling us, just like our negative thoughts fool us?

I feel like there is no such thing as 'enough sleep', because I'll be always tired.

I feel like there is no such thing as 'enough sleep', because I'll be always tired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel that way too.

I got 11 hours last night and I'm EXHAUSTED. I'll probably take a nap soon.

I don't have any answers to your question, but I know how it is with needing loads of sleep. ;)

Yeah, around 10 hours seems right.  I'm sleeping so much lately that I'm missing classes.  Always tired, and I sleep all day long on the weekends.

lemonflavor,

(your user name makes me want lemon meringue pie)

the amount of time that you need varies by person.  10 hours seems fine to me.  some people are fine on 6, some people say 8 is what is "needed"... sleep is very individual, etp. when you throw depression into the mix.

if you want to read a funny & informative book about sleep that will help you feel better about sleeping a lot, check out Counting Sheep: The Science and Pleasures of Sleep and Dreams.  (I particurally like the pleasure part... he makes sleep sound right up there with chocolate.)  that book gave me the ability to tell family members to stfu about my sleeping, because some people really do need more sleep than others.  and, it turns out, driving tired is just as dangerous as driving drunk.  so, there, nagging family ;)

but really, 10 hours doesn't seem excessive.  a lot of non-depressed people need that much sleep.

penny

I used to think I needed 10 hrs. However, eventually I discovered that often no amount of sleep will get rid of some fatigue. Right now I've had 7 or 7.5 hours, normally just about enough, but I'm still sleepy. Either a quick nap will fix it, or I need a workout. A long nap won't fix it, I don't think. I have a lot more energy on bright days, usually. Anyway, my point is that sometimes more sleep won't do it, so if you've had 10 hours of real sleep, then it's likely you've reached the point of diminishing returns. Now if my s.o. would just tell me that so I'd feel ok waking her up before 11AM....

I know this is hard to believe. Right now I kinda believe that this particular sleepiness is an exception!

Depression is exhausting.  When I have a bad day, it takes a lot out of me.  Even if I'm feeling better the next day, it will still take a few days until I can sleep only 8 to 9 hours a night instead of 10 to 11.

I think depression is very hard on the body.  If I need to sleep more when I'm depressed, that's alright.  I consider sleep to be healing.

Don't worry about sleeping too much.  If you're tired, then you should sleep.

Sleeping a lot can be an indication of depression, as well as a result. I find that when I'm down I sleep extra partly because it's a good way to avoid how lousy I feel. And to cope with all the things I feel like I can't do.

I recently realized that one of the ways I deal with stress is to get really sleepy and, if possible, go to sleep. Of course, this doesn't result in my doing whatever it was that's making me stressed. Sigh.

Fiona

lemonflavor,

if you are looking for specfic info on sleep disorders (which can be both oversleeping and undersleeping) we do have a sleep disorders section of CrazyBoards

http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showforum=42

While a lot of it deals with insomnia, I know we have had a few discussions in the past about hypersomnia (sleeping too much).