Brutal Death Metal

the maze runner

Last week I took my kid to a record store and snuck a Slayer CD in with our purchases, so I wondered a similar thing about myself when I was blasting it in the car (by myself at this point) and bellowing along to Reign in Blood.  But truth was it did give me a burst of happy energy and I felt better than I'd felt in a while.  Besides, I'd never make it as a serial killer, I can't even squish a bug, so I decided it was ok and screw the guy at the stoplight giving me weird looks. 

I'm going to grab some headphones and listen to the link in the original post :)

When I was in high school, my friend and I had a pre-class radio show on the high school station in the mornings.

We played a wide variety of stuff, and were about to play an indie artist (as a descriptor it could only be in the 90's) when a girl came in to complain we played too much heavy stuff.  She saw what was up next and said 'That's okay, I like him'.  When she left, I said, good thing I brought in a Napalm Death album!  So we played that instead and dedicated it to her.  Haha

Add to the list Death, Pestilence.  I also enjoyed the more mainstream ones, Sepultura, Testament, Death Angel (not really death metal but I love them so they get a spot anyways).  There is a well-known nightclub in my city that used to have "Metal Mondays" in the early 90's with all the Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death sort of bands, I was there as often as I could make it.  I'd be the only girl in the moshpit so guys would kind of step aside to not hurt me and I'd slam into them and it was the best stress relief ever.  Ah, the good old days......

I listened to the original link and they have some good riffs, and I don't mind the growly death metal voice (although as I age I like it better if I can understand the lyrics), but this one sounded maybe a bit too much like belching?  Nonetheless I did enjoy the guitar riffs as mentioned.

I'm going to have to look up newer death metal and see if there are other good new ones.  I am having fun thinking about that music genre again.

yes ComplicatedToad if growls and stuff put you off then recommending Brutal Death Metal would be a bit redundant. Try Hate Eternal they have some amazing albums(though they do have growls). 

The old masterpieces are truly timeless. Sepultura, Slayer, Pantera, Metallica etc. are all great.

Edited by the maze runner

I've only seen Sepultura once - and I was recovering from a concussion so I had to stay at the back to protect my head from the mosh pit.  Was super disappointed!

I've recently been listening to some Earth Crisis...I am far from straight edge, but enjoy it all the same.

These days bingeing on Hate Eternal for some reason.

Also I upgraded my sound system to a brand new Sennheiser 560S and AudioQuest Dragonfly Black. It has a really smooth sound so far. Now I'm thinking I could have got a DragonFly Red for just a bit more but really it's hard to complain because the Black is also quite good. Maybe in another six months I will get the Red.

If you want to listen to some brutal albums then do not pass up the opportunity to listen to these

Brodequin is one of the benchmark bands in the Brutal Death Metal genre. They have created a unique sound which creates an atmosphere which is pretty pathological yet immersive

This is something I am listening to lately and they really draw you in. It is a one man band and considered by many to be the best one man death metal outfit

This is also on my playlist lately. Pretty good sound.

Also has made it into my playlist and I will be listening to them for a while.

Edited by the maze runner

I've heard a lot of metalheads say something along the lines of how it's a really nice community because they express their anger and hate through music. Metalheads do seem like genuinely nice people. I've usually been more on the indie and punk side of things but I have been listening to more metal recently. Haven't managed to get into that growly shit yet though. HURDY GURDY. Not knocking your tastes at all. I do like a lot of bands which nobody has ever heard of and if you don't think Ed Sheeran is the best thing which has happened to music and have your own taste (any taste) then good for you. I can't even recall an Ed Sheeran song and I'm not sure what I'm hating. I've probably heard one at some point but it was completely forgettable. But I have been listening to heavier stuff because indie music and punk music hasn't really been doing much for a while (a few exceptions in the punk genre). The really heavy shit with too much gurr hasn't really appealed to me yet, but I love looking at metal album covers and band names. Here's an old family favourite - Menstrual Chocolatier by Bloody Cumshot. Might contain offensive lyrics but you probably won't understand what he's saying anyway.

Edited by Fluent In Silence