Waiting for med change. I am asking for help with coping in the mean time.

How do you get through waiting to see your psychiatrist for a med change?

My paranoia / delusions is destroying my relationships and my life. I keep losing insight. I have an episode every few months. I take instant release quetiapine because I can't take the extended release. I used to take aripiprazole but it didn't work as well. 

I have started as of today taking 'extra' quetiapine in the afternoon so I have a large night dose and 1 in the morning and another a few hours later. I've also started taking my emergency valium to help. Mental health team don't know this but I'll mention at some point.

I have the more 'bizarre delusions' the more my insight disappears. 

He thinks my psychosis is 'related to my trauma' ( I have complex post traumatic stress disorder but I have had psychosis for 10 years roughly) but that doesn't matter much.

I don't want to go off the deep end, I'm sure you know how it feels when you're in between worlds. You know you have to fight the pull and try tremendously hard to stay in reality.

How do you tide over? I have no idea when I will be able to see them. It may be around 12 weeks from now.

• Like 1

My psychiatrist will sometimes up my medication over the phone.  12 weeks is a long time. I know some pdocs are booked out for months but can you see if they can fit you in earlier or if there is a cancellation?  You sound like you are doing all the right things while waiting.  Sorry I don’t have advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, konata said:

How do you get through waiting to see your psychiatrist for a med change?

My paranoia / delusions is destroying my relationships and my life. I keep losing insight. I have an episode every few months. I take instant release quetiapine because I can't take the extended release. I used to take aripiprazole but it didn't work as well. 

I have started as of today taking 'extra' quetiapine in the afternoon so I have a large night dose and 1 in the morning and another a few hours later. I've also started taking my emergency valium to help. Mental health team don't know this but I'll mention at some point.

I have the more 'bizarre delusions' the more my insight disappears. 

He thinks my psychosis is 'related to my trauma' ( I have complex post traumatic stress disorder but I have had psychosis for 10 years roughly) but that doesn't matter much.

I don't want to go off the deep end, I'm sure you know how it feels when you're in between worlds. You know you have to fight the pull and try tremendously hard to stay in reality.

How do you tide over? I have no idea when I will be able to see them. It may be around 12 weeks from now.

I would call ASAP. If you can’t get an appointment the team should at least be made aware 

• Like 1

Thank you. They might be able to get me in week after next. Every day just gets worse. The levels aren’t stable so I keep lapsing into full blown daily. Im scared. I can’t trust much. I start to feel better after I take my night meds but by the time it starts to work I am falling asleep.