Bipolar 2 with no meds and just therapy?

I have Bipolar 2 and have been seeing a therapist I like for the past 2 months and I personally want to avoid taking medication if possible.  Has anyone here with Bipolar 2 been able to do that or have any luck with it? I'm just now attempting to come to terms with having BP2 because I've noticed my symptoms increase to a level I haven't ever seen before.

54 minutes ago, ReincarnatedCow said:

I have Bipolar 2 and have been seeing a therapist I like for the past 2 months and I personally want to avoid taking medication if possible.  Has anyone here with Bipolar 2 been able to do that or have any luck with it? I'm just now attempting to come to terms with having BP2 because I've noticed my symptoms increase to a level I haven't ever seen before.

What does the therapist say? I understand meds are scary, but personally I’ve never found a credible source that suggests completely writing off meds in bp. When managed carefully, many psych meds are tolerable and don’t negatively impact your life to a large degree

22 hours ago, Iceberg said:

What does the therapist say? I understand meds are scary, but personally I’ve never found a credible source that suggests completely writing off meds in bp. When managed carefully, many psych meds are tolerable and don’t negatively impact your life to a large degree

I told her that I want meds to be an absolute last resort and that ill be willing to try them if nothing else works and she said she understood and was willing to work with me on that.  I'm just worried about how they'll affect me and I might not like how things turn out after being on them for awhile.  I don't want them to change me in anyway but of course that's what they're supposed to do.

3 hours ago, ReincarnatedCow said:

I told her that I want meds to be an absolute last resort and that ill be willing to try them if nothing else works and she said she understood and was willing to work with me on that.  I'm just worried about how they'll affect me and I might not like how things turn out after being on them for awhile.  I don't want them to change me in anyway but of course that's what they're supposed to do.

Most changes aren’t necessarily permanent. You can always just stop them. Also, good docs are skilled at easing you in. There are some first line meds that are very mild at low dose. Also, if you start a low grade med earlier it can prevent you having to get more aggressive treatment if things go bad. That said, I’m in no position to overrule your therapist so if they are willing to try than who am I to say it can’t work  

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn’t diagnosed as bipolar until things got really pretty severe, because I didn’t “look manic “ on the outside. By that time, it took months to get down to earth and I feel I’ve never gotten totally back to normal in some things. On meds I can avoid the near bankruptcy and impulsive things but I’m still “me”.  I would say being unmedicated for all those years let things get worse over time. The trouble is, when I’m at manic or hypo manic point, the worse it is the less I want it to stop, and that creates wreckage. I don’t recommend waiting until things get extreme to medicate, because at the moment you may not want to, and there’s often fallout from episodes. That’s my take from my experience, I know I hear some people who think they can control bipolar but I don’t think so. 

Good luck with whatever decision you make. 

• 1 month later...

As I understand it, bipolar can never be managed without meds. And if you ask around, you will hear all kinds of horror stories of what happened when BP people stopped taking their meds, me included. That’s not to say that you can’t have remissions without meds, something that used to happen to me in my younger days, but not any longer. It’s just that if you have BP, you will have episodes if you’re not medicated, and probably nastier ones at that. That said, it’s possible to go years on end while trying various med regimens, all without having much—if any—success.

Typically, depression is the hardest thing to treat, followed by mixed episodes, then mania, then hypomania.  I have BP I with psychosis and mixed episodes, and the psychosis, while it can be really, really awful, is actually the easiest thing to treat, because I respond extremely well to one particular antipsychotic, which also works very well on my manic and mixed states. But the depression? Damn. I can sometimes go for years on end in a severe form of that state (my pdoc calls it severe, although I call it moderate, in order to distinguish it from the crashes). And then, when the depression does finally end, I invariably become manic or mixed. And then I almost always go right back to being depressed again once that’s over (but not this time, thankfully). 

It’s worth noting that you don’t always have to be on a ton of meds. While I have been on as many as 10 psych meds simultaneously in the past, I am currently on only 1 (Depakote), and I have been in full remission since May. My pdoc said that most of his patients who have long remissions are only on one or two meds, in fact.