Afraid of sleeping?

I’ve been having trouble with falling asleep - started when I had a week where I was really paranoid and afraid to fall asleep because something bad might happen (the front door had blown open when I was away for several hours, and I was home alone for a week). I have bipolar I and really bad things happen when I don’t sleep.

So after that, I was afraid of not being able to fall asleep which of course lead to me being too anxious to fall asleep. I was also afraid of nightmares (my brother recently died and I was afraid he might be upset with me, but haven’t had a nightmare yet). 

My psychiatrist gave me clonidine (0.1mg) and I feel myself starting to fall asleep more easily but my brain sabotages it because right as I’m about to fall asleep I get anxious  

I have sleep apnea and have never had a problem with my mask until the last two weeks - I find it impossible to fall asleep with it on  

I’ve had some trouble falling asleep in the past (years ago) and trazadone has helped. But apparently it interacts with my current medications. 

Sorry for the novel. Has anyone else had sleep anxiety like this?

2 hours ago, NerdyUnicorn said:

I’ve been having trouble with falling asleep - started when I had a week where I was really paranoid and afraid to fall asleep because something bad might happen (the front door had blown open when I was away for several hours, and I was home alone for a week). I have bipolar I and really bad things happen when I don’t sleep.

So after that, I was afraid of not being able to fall asleep which of course lead to me being too anxious to fall asleep. I was also afraid of nightmares (my brother recently died and I was afraid he might be upset with me, but haven’t had a nightmare yet). 

My psychiatrist gave me clonidine (0.1mg) and I feel myself starting to fall asleep more easily but my brain sabotages it because right as I’m about to fall asleep I get anxious  

I have sleep apnea and have never had a problem with my mask until the last two weeks - I find it impossible to fall asleep with it on  

I’ve had some trouble falling asleep in the past (years ago) and trazadone has helped. But apparently it interacts with my current medications. 

I’m BP 1 and I’ve had all sorts of sleep issues for all sorts of reasons, some of them similar to what you’re mentioning. Have you tried any other meds for sleep? I’ve found that if I take something and it gets me to sleep a few nights in a row I can often taper off or just stop using it when my routine starts to form 

On 8/21/2021 at 6:42 PM, NerdyUnicorn said:

My anxiety affected my sleep greatly before I started taking clonazepam (Klonopin).

I don't know if you've tried any of these, but Ambien, Lunesta, or maybe Belsomra might also be options, if your pdoc agrees.