clonidine instead of a few drugs?

does anyone take clonidine?  what do you use it for? 

I'm currently having trouble with sleep onset.  When I was IP, my IP pdoc asked if I had ever used clonidine.  I hadn't, but we didn't start it because I was currently taking propranolol for tremors and prazosin for nightmares and both of those are BP medications.  My BP is fine. 

What I'm kind of curious about...any thoughts on eliminating the propranolol (possibly not needed now anyway because I've stopped lithium, but I've kept it because of possible help with anxiety) and prazosin and trying clonidine instead? 

It looks like clonidine doesn’t mix well with alcohol (or doesn’t mix at all).  Maybe not the time to try this experiment as I have a date on Saturday involving a glass of wine.  I can see what my pdoc comes up with when I say “I need something to help me with sleep” repeatedly.  Damn zyprexa discontinuation.

15 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

It looks like clonidine doesn’t mix well with alcohol (or doesn’t mix at all).  Maybe not the time to try this experiment as I have a date on Saturday involving a glass of wine.  I can see what my pdoc comes up with when I say “I need something to help me with sleep” repeatedly.  Damn zyprexa discontinuation.

To be fair I think most sleep meds don’t get along with alcohol that well 

24 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

that makes sense.  I can throw it out there as a possibility and see what she thinks.  Some searching through crazyboards seems to suggest that it's not that great an option, but I've done well on random drugs before (fanapt). 

But you used fanapt for one of its approved  uses even though uncommon- clonidine for sleep is off label. Personally  I brought it up with one pdoc awhile ago and he said if the sleep issues were from my BP it probably wouldn’t Touch it.

I often think that the marginalization of some psych meds like fanapt is much more do to an over-saturation of (often cheaper) options than potential effectiveness, especially since all AAPs are statistically in the same general ballpark. In other words, if fanapt were to become super popular for whatever reason it might work for just as many people as other newer APs... sorry for the thesis but I just mean that meds like fanapt are random because no one uses them but I don’t think they are random in how they effect people 

that makes sense.  I'll just see what she has to say then. 

The hard part (which impacts clonidine as much as anything else) is that she's very much against giving me a sedative of any sort.  She feels like it contributed to me landing in the hospital in July 2020, whereas I saw that as too many drugs all at once.  I feel like I'm at the point where i've tried all non-drug ideas.  I'm still working with sleep psychologist, but I'm implementing all the suggestions as best as possible.  There's a point at which a med change just becomes necessary.

My tdoc commented "you can be stubborn sometimes...let that be a good thing with her.  not to the point that it causes her to pull her hair out of course or leave you.  but just so she gets how problematic the sleep issues are."

thanks, it is pretty messy.  The hard part is that things were starting to look pretty good until I took that last step of coming off zyrexa.  When I was taking 5mg, my sleep measures were actually improving.  It's just been a huge jolt taking that last 5mg reduction. 

so good news!  I talked her into a PRN sedative.  When she heard that things were worst the first week that I stopped it and had improved slightly, she was tempted to not add another variable.  But when she saw just how badly it was impacting me (and I tossed in that my tdoc really wanted me to push for something) and I said that I'd use it sparingly, she relented.

We're doing triazolam because I've taken that before and it wouldn't involve changing other things.  Hopefully it'll work this go around also. 

4 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

so good news!  I talked her into a PRN sedative.  When she heard that things were worst the first week that I stopped it and had improved slightly, she was tempted to not add another variable.  But when she saw just how badly it was impacting me (and I tossed in that my tdoc really wanted me to push for something) and I said that I'd use it sparingly, she relented.

We're doing triazolam because I've taken that before and it wouldn't involve changing other things.  Hopefully it'll work this go around also. 

Good luck! I used to really like triazolam in a pinch 

thanks!  the only reason I stopped it previously was because the other meds eliminated the sleep issues.  so hopefully that bodes well for it working again.  My pdoc did some researching on the spot because she remembered that Britain pulled the authorization for it, but she wasn't too disturbed to use it based on what she read. 

8 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

thanks!  the only reason I stopped it previously was because the other meds eliminated the sleep issues.  so hopefully that bodes well for it working again.  My pdoc did some researching on the spot because she remembered that Britain pulled the authorization for it, but she wasn't too disturbed to use it based on what she read. 

edited to add...it's a little disturbing to read about, but I remember it working well before, so we'll see. 

so night one was a failure...I took it at 12am and fell asleep at 4am. 

I may have been asking too  much out of it.  I'd accidentally not woken up until 1pm that day, so by the time I was taking it, I had only been awake for 11 hours.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get out of bed this morning either, so I got up around 12pm...which means I'll likely have the same problem tonight (and can't take the triazolam again because I'll have had alcohol). 

I hate insomnia.