CrazyBoards.org

Rant: My sister is a teacher and won't get vaccinated for Covid OR wear a mask...AAARRGGHH

CrazyRedhead

Sorry guys but I am just so frustrated, and even sometimes angry about this situation.

In my state, our Gov. has ordered that all K-12 students, and staff and teachers will have to wear masks (with some exemptions for religious or medical reasons). This includes all public and private schools....Obviously, masks can be removed while eating,  or exercising outside.....That is what my state (VA)  will be doing when school starts.

My sister, an elementary school teacher, lives in NC....The NC Gov said that each county in NC can decide what their school mask policy will be.....The county my sister lives in voted for masks optional....They can wear a mask if they choose, but it's not required......My sister is not vaccinated because she's scared of long-term side effects, and says it's her choice to not get it, because this is a free county.....I'll give you one guess who she voted for...**SIGH**....

Anyway, I was talking to her, and I said, "Well, I guess you'll be wearing a mask, at least to protect the young children who aren't eligible yet to be vaccinated, right?".........She said, "No, I won't be wearing one, because I don't have to."

I can't tell you how angry I am about this....She's teaching children, who may or may not be wearing a mask, but she won't get vaccinated, or even simply wear a mask to protect them............What a terrible situation.....Her school starts after Labor Day.......I don't want to think about what's going to happen.

My sister is a college-educated woman....I still love her, but now I try not to talk about the vaccine, or masks, because it gets me so frustrated that she won't even wear a mask to help protect the little kids........**SIGH** again.

Rant over.......Thanks for reading, I just had to get that out......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

that is really upsetting. the antivaxxers have this weird self-righteousness about not wearing a mask, as if it proves that they're not "sheep" or whatever. fucking stupid and aggravating. it's such an unnecessary hazard, especially when working with kids.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DogMan said:

I wonder how she would feel if her class of children all decided to revolt against things that were technically optional and not mandatory 

Not sure how she would handle that, to be honest...I can't get through to her......**SIGH**

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I saw that news report as well. Have you thought of sending it to your sister and asking her what she thinks of that teacher and what happened to those children?

I did send it to her, and she seemed sort of offended that I did........She still thinks her choice to not get vaccinated or wear a mask won't hurt anyone..........She said the children could have gotten it somewhere else, and there was no way to prove it was definitely the teacher.

Why can't she see that it could be a risk, especially with these little kids under 12 who aren't yet eligible for a vaccine?

However, she did tell me that the schools in her area were considering reinstating the mask requirements at school for teachers and students........I hope they reinstate the mask requirement !!.....She seemed irritated by the idea of wearing a mask again--she thinks they don't work.

This is sad, but I just found out yesterday that her adult son, who lives with his father and stepmother, got COVID, and then his father and stepmom got it, too (None of them were vaccinated).

Her son ended up with a milder case, but his father and stepmom are now in the hospital with Covid......My sister still won't budge even though it's now staring her in the face.......I just don't get it.....Fortunately, her daughter is vaccinated because her college required it to attend.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Some people seem to be in serious denial and get their news from Facebook. I’ve heard it all. It frustrates me but at least my immediate family is vaccinated and as far as I know where masks in public. I’m afraid to ask my niece exactly what she does. This really drives people apart and I’ve had to tell a coworker I don’t want to talk about it because we’ll never agree. It’s harder with family especially when they affect others. Is your sister likely to dig her feet in more if she feels pressured?  I think that’s part of it for some. It’s very selfish thinking but way too common. I hope your sister changes her mind. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, sugarsugar said:

Is your sister likely to dig her feet in more if she feels pressured?  I think that’s part of it for some. It’s very selfish thinking but way too common. I hope your sister changes her mind. 

I feel reasonably sure she won't get the vaccine.......I hope I'm wrong about that though....Really hope I'm wrong, and she will eventually get it.