Risperidone-Discouraged....Be Patient?

I started risperidone at 0.5 mgs once a day a week ago for my OCD,anxiety,and panic attacks.

My OCD is as maddening as ever.I am feeling increasingly hopeless that it will ever improve.Therapy is more helpful than meds really.

I just can't control my thoughts.I dunno,maybe fighting for control of them is doing me more harm than good....

Anyway,do I need to give the risperidone more time?

Have an appointment with my pdoc on Friday and I will talk to him about it but just wondering if any of you have had any experience with it.

I am on chlorpromazine and loxapine.So now three AP's and no relief.

I just want my mind to go quiet...

i liked risperidone a lot for quieting my head down from OCD ruminations. it was a great med for me and worked wonders on my anxiety as well. i don't remember exactly how long it took for me to notice an effect but it was fast. two weeks maybe? i took 0.75 mg at my highest dose and split it morning and evening for a more level effect. it sedated me noticeably. i took an hour nap most days in the midafternoon. i didn't really mind because the naps worked with my day schedule and i much preferred feeling a little sleepy over the constant anxiety i had before.

i was on it for 2ish years before i started lactating and had to discontinue. i felt like a layer of skin had been removed from me when i went off of it. everything was scary. everything was upsetting. nothing slid off my back the way it used to. emotionally, i felt completely raw. i still take it PRN when i'm really irritable or can't stop thinking. it seems to help still.

i've read often that therapy is ultimately more useful in reducing OCD symptoms than meds are. still, lots of people find some relief from meds. give it another week or two, but keep your pdoc up to date if it's not doing anything for you. i hope you find some relief soon.

7 hours ago, echolocation said:

i liked risperidone a lot for quieting my head down from OCD ruminations. it was a great med for me and worked wonders on my anxiety as well. i don't remember exactly how long it took for me to notice an effect but it was fast. two weeks maybe? i took 0.75 mg at my highest dose and split it morning and evening for a more level effect. it sedated me noticeably. i took an hour nap most days in the midafternoon. i didn't really mind because the naps worked with my day schedule and i much preferred feeling a little sleepy over the constant anxiety i had before.

i was on it for 2ish years before i started lactating and had to discontinue. i felt like a layer of skin had been removed from me when i went off of it. everything was scary. everything was upsetting. nothing slid off my back the way it used to. emotionally, i felt completely raw. i still take it PRN when i'm really irritable or can't stop thinking. it seems to help still.

i've read often that therapy is ultimately more useful in reducing OCD symptoms than meds are. still, lots of people find some relief from meds. give it another week or two, but keep your pdoc up to date if it's not doing anything for you. i hope you find some relief soon.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.I am sorry you can't take risperidone any longer since lt was helping you so much.

I expected a soothing effect,but my anxiety is as bad as ever,and my intrusive thoughts and commands are overwhelmingly awful.

I was evaluated for my OCD at a hospital several years ago,and they suggested risperidone at a dose of 1 mg,so perhaps i just need to reach that dose.

I feel like i have exhausted very avenue of meds,even though my pdoc says we haven't.

I am very surprised that on three AP's I am not experiencing any difference at all.

But i will give it time.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gabagaba said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.I am sorry you can't take risperidone any longer since lt was helping you so much.

I expected a soothing effect,but my anxiety is as bad as ever,and my intrusive thoughts and commands are overwhelmingly awful.

I was evaluated for my OCD at a hospital several years ago,and they suggested risperidone at a dose of 1 mg,so perhaps i just need to reach that dose.

I feel like i have exhausted very avenue of meds,even though my pdoc says we haven't.

I am very surprised that on three AP's I am not experiencing any difference at all.

But i will give it time.

Thank you again.

Unfortunately having several AP on board may not cause a linear effect just because of the numerous potential interactions, so having 3 soothing aps may not always lead to a more soothing response. That said, I know your med situation is super complex so I’m more talking about in general than your case specifically. If you fee comfortable with 1 mg, it may be worth not discounting the med until you hit that 

22 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Unfortunately having several AP on board may not cause a linear effect just because of the numerous potential interactions, so having 3 soothing aps may not always lead to a more soothing response. That said, I know your med situation is super complex so I’m more talking about in general than your case specifically. If you fee comfortable with 1 mg, it may be worth not discounting the med until you hit that 

Thank you for your insight.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me that my AP's might be at war with one another.

I shall see what my pdoc says on Friday,but,yeah,I think I would be ok with increasing the dose and seeing how it goes.