Anyone NOT gain weight on zyprexa zydis?

Long story short, I've gained about 35 pounds since January, mostly due to various antipsychotics.  I'm currently taking a low dose of zyprexa zydis (5-10 mg) at night along with another antipsychotic that's weight neutral for me.  It works beautifully, but I'm worried about additional weight gain.  Wondering if anyone has had luck not gaining weight on zyprexa and if you didn't gain, was it just because the med didn't affect you in that way or because you actively worked to stave off any gains?  Any experience would be much appreciated! 

17 hours ago, Breathdamnit said:

Long story short, I've gained about 35 pounds since January, mostly due to various antipsychotics.  I'm currently taking a low dose of zyprexa zydis (5-10 mg) at night along with another antipsychotic that's weight neutral for me.  It works beautifully, but I'm worried about additional weight gain.  Wondering if anyone has had luck not gaining weight on zyprexa and if you didn't gain, was it just because the med didn't affect you in that way or because you actively worked to stave off any gains?  Any experience would be much appreciated! 

Hello! I take Zyprexa zydis (along with rexulti and abilify). I take 30 mg of the zydis daily. (15 mg in the morning and 15 mg at bedtime) I have taken it for years. I currently maintain my weight. But I actually lost 60 lbs at least when I first started taking it. I do exercise a little and I try to watch what I eat a tiny bit. But if I tried harder I’d be able to lose more weight definitely.

Even my husband says that Zyprexa zydis is one of the best for being weight friendly. And I’ve tried all of the newer antipsychotics too pretty much.

I was on seroquel for many many years because I feared Zyprexa zydis because everywhere I kept reading about weight gain and worse. I gained a ton of weight on seroquel but once I got back on Zyprexa zydis I lost 60 lbs at least.

Plus I feel better physically and mentally on Zyprexa zydis. Zyprexa zydis really helps a lot. It is a great med. It has saved my life and is my miracle med.

I hope that answers your questions. I wish you luck. Zyprexa zydis is a great med. I hope it helps you as much as it helps me.

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Thanks so much for the response!  

This gives me a little bit of hope.  I too gained weight on seroquel, which I didn't even realize was the problem until I went off of it and lost 20 lbs without trying, and then promptly gained it back once I started it up again (even with regular exercise and counting calories - no more than 1800/day).  

Recently I was on saphris and zyprexa in the hospital and promptly gained another 10-15 lbs, although that could've just been inactivity and having the munchies, but it was rapid enough that it's hard to blame just that.  I'm hoping the saphris was the issue - I recently came off of it and am no longer craving carbs like I was.  And my weight hasn't further increased over the past couple of weeks on the zyprexa - although I'm not sure how quickly I'd see weight gain.  

My other AAP is abilify.  I lost a bunch of weight on it when I stopped the seroquel.  It was actually the lowest weight I'd been at since starting psych meds.  I was taken off of it at a previous hospital stay as it was deemed "ineffective" but I'm on some additional meds now, so my psych agreed to a retrial.  Fingers crossed! 

Thanks again...your response makes me a little less scared to keep taking it.  I find it to be a really helpful med and want it to work out, but if I gain weight the way some people report, I'd definitely have to go off it due to other medical conditions (and some vanity).  

Edited by Breathdamnit

@Breathdamnit

Saphris made me have the munchies and gain weight too. I couldn’t stop eating on that one! I craved a lot of food while on saphris. I took that for a while and it was somewhat helpful (although not as helpful as when I’m on Zyprexa zydis).

I’m glad I could help you by sharing my experience! I wish you as much good luck as I’ve had with Zyprexa zydis! It’s so helpful and really has given me a peace of mind that I seriously thought I’d never have after getting so sick. It’s been a real turn around.

I should have stayed on it all those years ago in the hospital and listened to that wise doctor. I seriously suffered so very much by being terrified of side effects that may or may not even happen. I think it’s best to just have a plan and be prepared if side effects occur. If side effects do happen, work with your pdoc to come up with a good plan at that point.