CrazyBoards.org

Vraylar? Good Bad or indifferent?

Looking for feedback from anyone who's tried it and had success or failure. How was it? My dr's are impressed with it, but I don't trust so easily....I don't want to rock the boat but feel my curent cocktail is lacking. Thank you in advance.

Ive seen a lot of negative feedback on here, but i personally thought it was helpful when i needed an add on to my clozaril (meaning it had to be something non sedating). I ditched it when my symptoms improved, but that was just because pdoc thought i didnt need it anymore, not because i didnt like it. there is some pretty decent evidence that it is good with bp depression (usually i link studies but im really busy right now). whats your abilify dose? they can both be stimulating which isnt always a great feeling 

I am at 5mgs but I finally feel better, someone in my family was struggling too and I think it affected me, that's resoving slowly and I am feeling like I don't want to change. But I've had two professionals mentioning it to me. I appreciate the reply Iceberg, thank you.

I started it a while back, and thought it was very helpful at pulling me out of a funk, plus not many side effects.  Now I'm kind of going back down to where I started, however - I'm only taking 2.5 mg right now, so it's possible I've just adjusted to the dose and need to go up to 5 to get a full effect.   But I'm not giving up on it, it did seem to start making a difference and usually nothing touches my depression - so even if it works a little that's a raging success next to most meds.

@Duelist I took Vraylar "briefly" for 6-8 weeks maybe. I was taking it with other medications (Depakote, Trintellix, and as-needed Klonopin). So I'm not sure I got to experience its true character. However, I did learn a few things from it. It was very similar to my experience with Abilify. Very stimulating. For me, too much so. It caused me some restlessness. I also use medical cannabis for anxiety, and I found that Vraylar did in fact completely neutralize my ability to be calmed by cannabis. I was also a cigarette smoker at the time, and I started smoking more because I didn't get a nicotine buzz. All-in-all I was incompatible with Vraylar for the same reasons I was incompatible with Abilify.

However, if you've been taking Abilify and it has mostly been working well for you, then Vraylar is definitely worth a shot, because it's very similar in its effects to Abilify at least in my experience, but it may have more effectiveness for the depression side of things than Abilify, which is less useful for depressive episodes unless it is coupled with some sort of antidepressant. 

What I've also been reading is that pdocs are very keen on dosing Vraylar 1.5mg every OTHER day (i.e. =0.75mg/day). I just read this somewhere online recently, and this was after overhearing my pdoc having a conversation with one of the Allergan pharma reps, who actually told him this herself. Vraylar has such a long half-life, and its metabolites last even longer, that 1.5mg every other day may be just as good for depression as Abilify 2mg/day + an antidepressant. However, to introduce more of a degree of mood stability (anti-manic benefits), you may need to go to 1.5mg or 3mg per day anyway.

In short, if Abilify mostly does it for you now, Vraylar could definitely be an upgrade. If you find you like Abilify but are having issues with side effects like activation/agitation or restlessness, then you might want to talk to your pdoc about something like Rexulti, which is more structurally similar to Abilify.

My bad, I am on 1.5 not 2.5, and going up to 3 not 5.  Duh.  But my experience comparing to Abilify is that Vraylar is not as activating.  I didn't get overwhelming restlessness like I experienced on Abilify.  I feel for the most part, pretty normal, except I'm not as depressed.