CrazyBoards.org

Tonsillectomy Reduces Kids ADHD

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060404/hl_nm/...ctomy_adhd_dc_1

A recently published study of children being treated for breathing problems by removing their tonsils found that the procedure also eliminated diagnosed ADHD.

The children were compared to a control group who did not recieve a surgical procedure.  28% of the surgical group had formal diagnoses as ADHD versus 2% in the control. Following surgery ADHD diagnoses in the surgical group dropped to no higher than the control group.

The paper concludes that sleep disorders may have significant effect on children's behavior.

A.M.

Too bad I waited until I was 37 to get my tonsils yanked.  Seriously.  I never knew I could just say hey, takes these fuc_ers out!  Best thing I ever did.  Do I still have ADD - probably.  Is it better than when I was a kid - uhhh what were we talking about? ;)

At the age of 3-4 my daughter had her tonsils taken out.

I was concerned when she would sleep, she would take deep breaths, almost like trying to gasp for air .

I took her to her pediatrician and The Doctor had me take a Video tape

I read that too. I wonder how many of us are like this? If that's part of the problem, then many of us probably don't have the neurological defect they tell us we do. I'm guessing that it's only a small fraction of people with ADD, or else the condition wouldn't look quite so genetic.

We've got someone in our support group who has one of those breathing machines and is very gradually getting used to it. She's also very gradually becoming more assertive and apparently less mentally fuzzy.

got my tonsils out at 5 and still sleep like shit and am still mega-ADD. bummer.

i don't have my tonsils either.... im a little skeptical on this one....hmmm....

The thread title says "reduces," not "eliminates."  We all agree there are multiple causes for the poor concentration et cetera often classified as ADD.  For some people, it is the funky neurochemistry we associate with the disorder, and stims help.  (I will not pretend to have percentages for this.)  For others, maybe it is an issue of food allergies.  For still others, the cause might be shitty sleep and an underlying sleep disorder.  So long as no one declares all ADD is caused by sleep apnea, I'm okay with this. 

What ella said.  If having tonsils their tonsils out helped, the kids never had ADD in the first place.  They had trouble sleeping.  Sleep disorders should be part of the diferential diagnosis for ADD in the first place.

Bad scientist! No cookie!

Archived