CrazyBoards.org

Vyvanse making Bipolar illness worse

I've been on 10 mg (low dose) of Vyvanse for about 6 weeks now. It definitely helping me at work and my cognitive functions have improved for sure. The one thing I am noticing is that I think its making me pretty depressed and messing with my mood. The things I say are unfiltered and I notice I can be hyperverbal.

It sounds silly but I just don't like who I am when I take this medication and I feel like my mood is slowly deteriorating because of it. Has this happened to anyone else?

I haven't taken Vyvanse. but Ritalin makes me hyperverbal & a bit less "filtered" for sure...not necessarily more depressed (unless I take the instant release which does). Is Vyvanse an extended release that lasts all day? Maybe a different stim would work better?

I don't have personal experience with Vyvanse, but I've definitely seen it cause problems with people in general, whether sleep, irritability, etc., even at appropriately prescribed doses and especially people with diagnosed, suspected or familial bipolar disorder. And obviously when you get into the realm of dosages of abuse with stimulants and crush/snorting them, things can get even worse. I remember working with one person who was doing that, felt bugs moving under his skin and tried to get them out with a hammer.

When I was diagnosed with ADHD the consultant said that Lisdexamfetamine was less likely to cause issues with people who are bipolar than methylphenidate. It doesn't mean there will be no issues, but it also means that some people are going to be ok taking it.