• 1 month later...

When my anxiety was at its worst, I was married and my kids were around 3, 7, and 11. My coping mechanisms were isolation and diazepam (in addition to the daily meds I took—lamotrogine and cymbalta).

I’d give my husband a signal that an attack was beginning so he could take point on the kids, and I’d go in my room to self-soothe. 

Through the pandemic and following my coinciding divorce, I availed myself of screen time for the kids. They were older, so it was easier than if I’d had a toddler. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 6:10 AM, survivingbp said:

For people experiencing clinically severe anxiety - I was wondering what supports you either had or wish you had around you to help your family? And what worked for you to ensure that your anxiety minimally impacted your kid(s)? 

One of my children was already an adult, and on his own when I got diagnosed, and my daughter was in her teens (age gap of 11 years between them).....Their father and I were divorced, he didn't do much at all to help.

My daughter was very supportive, and understood when I was having issues.......It would have been nice for me if I had a partner or spouse to help.

I guess we coped the best we could, with help from my mother and my sister who did so much....I was so thankful for them.

Do you have either a friend or family member to help you out?.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead