CrazyBoards.org

Finally- ADD Inattentive DX

As I've suspected for most of my life, I'm both BP1 and ADD Inattentive. My pdoc put me on Strattera and is hoping not to have to go for stims.

How can I cope? What skills have you learned along the way? What can I expect from Strattera?

I have so many questions. Please help me understand my new DX.

As I've suspected for most of my life, I'm both BP1 and ADD Inattentive. My pdoc put me on Strattera and is hoping not to have to go for stims.

How can I cope? What skills have you learned along the way? What can I expect from Strattera?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Loon, when you say ADD Inattentive, do you mean ADD without hyperactivity? This is my dx. More often found in girls, females, and rarely caught when we're children because we are "well behaved" as little girls. Just a little "spacey".

I don't take anything for mine, and I have a high degree of difficulty with that. But I'm an addict type person so I can't take stims, and Straterra and Cymbalta just aren't recommended. So I have an appt. book and other physical reminder systems in place to help me remember and stay focused, but it's very hard. The only good news is, I'm disabled and don't work, so my missing appts., losing stuff and everything that goes with ADD can't get me fired!

Good luck with Strattera, let us know how it works or not.

Hugs,

S9

Can't really advise re BP1 or Strattera. (Maybe I'm a touch BP, according to pdoc, but not much, and no insight into it to speak of. Currently seem in down phase, but this only relates to sleep, it seems, and not to mood.) I do wonder if you'll need the Lex if you'll be taking so much Strattera.

What's so horrible about stimulants? Sometimes they do a nice job, and you know if they work pretty damn quick. What you don't know is how soon the side effects settle down, so it is sometimes worth ramping up. Seems like all the books say that even the addicts are better off with the stuff, in a properly supervised situation.

I don't know what they put on my insurance forms. The exact dx isn't that exciting for me, but I seem to be someplace between inattentive and combined. That is, my mind wanders a lot, and I sometimes say things that are a bit out of place (not terribly often), but impulsive behavior is rare. (Maybe it wasn't so rare before age 9 or 10, I was supposed to have a hell of a temper.)

Anyway, my two cents are that you could do worse than that chapter in the Hallowell books, the one that says to read it if you are only going to read one. If you can stand it, structure is very helpful. For example, I get at least as much done at home when I have a full time, daily job to go to as when I'm out of work. But if I'm working freelance, a lot of it gets done after midnight, and NOTHING other than work and wasting time gets done. Someplace in the archives you will find a message or two from me on getting things done. I recommend these, but I'm biased.

It doesn't mean you can't accomplish something, though it makes things harder. I have a degree from a school you'd call the top in its field, that you've definitely heard of, that's known for being hard to get through. Without any particular accomodations, since no one believed in adult ADD at the time. OTOH, don't ask me how many extra years that took.

As I've suspected for most of my life, I'm both BP1 and ADD Inattentive. My pdoc put me on Strattera

and is hoping not to have to go for stims. What can I expect from Strattera?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a potentially bright note regarding stims - they seem less likely to send someone with BPD

manic if the person *does* have ADD.  How much less probably varies from "way" to

"not very much" ...

Now, I have not taken Straterra, but have taken Edronax (another NARI).  For me, that

has a no-nonsense "push" to it. Your blood pressure and heartrate will be up a bit, that

comes with the territory, but at least it cut down on giving in to minor irritations and

ruminations.

If the two are enough alike I could see why Straterra wouldn't be addictive - caffeine is more

fun (and comes in tasty flavors!)

How can I cope? What skills have you learned along the way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's lots of good advice scattered on the board as well as in the Hallowell and Amen books.

"Could you send me an email on this? I'm sure to forget all about it before I get to it."  Goes a

long way at work. Not only are people less surprised when you DO forget, your inbox becomes

an ordered list of pending things to do.

Dry-erase boards and calendars and pocket-sized notebooks/to-do lists are very

wonderful things.

Realize that almost all the Organization and Efficiency self-help books and Motivators are written

for people with undamaged frontal lobes and not for someone whose  perception of passing time

and task queueing functions are  likely to be way broken. The only thing you can do is to find a med

that helps enough for the external cues and reminders to work, stay on it, and do what you can

with what you've been given to work with.

You have a bit of an advantage having had time to deal or begin dealing with bipolar - the ideas of

"I may have to be on these meds the rest of my life"  and "There are times when I'm just not going

to be in the control I should be" aren't new. (Galling? yes, new? no).

And as far as coping goes - there are jobs that are far better suited (IMO) to ADDers and Aspies

(maybe Touretters too) than to "normal" people. Most of them involve computers.

Guest not logged in but usually am

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Computers are the tool of the devil! I'm dooooooooooooooomed! (I hate programming! ~!@#$% machine! Do what I mean, not what I say! Who cares how many ~!#@$% brackets!) Ok, I don't mind CAD. But I hate Bill Gates.

I haven't been dx with ADD, but I do tend to be spacy and forgetful. It helps me to use a daily planner. I like the notebook type, but electronic planners are great too. The key (for me anyway) is to use one system only. Use it constantly, even when you don't have any appointments, so that it becomes habit. If you try to use one for work and another for your personal life, one of them will be neglected. Also, if you use the paper and pen type, it should be big enough so it won't get lost and small enough that you don't mind carrying it with you. Hope that helps.

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Computers are the tool of the devil! I'm dooooooooooooooomed! (I hate programming! ~!@#$% machine! Do what I mean, not what I say! Who cares how many ~!#@$% brackets!) Ok, I don't mind CAD. But I hate Bill Gates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And of course, low frustration tolerance is often a symptom of AD(H)D in

most of its forms  ;)

My major problem is with spoken words. People can talk to me until they've explained something 10 times and I won't get it. Then they can write it, and if it isn't written in an outline style that I can follow and understand, then forget it!!! I'll never get it and be a total space cadet.

I follow lists and try reminders, like if I want to remember to take something to work with me, I'll put something that doesn't belong on the toilet (someplace I must go in the morning) on the toilet (like the toothpaste), and I'll remember, and take it with me. I have developed some weird ways of remembering to bring things with me like that, and to accomplish tasks.

As I said, I spend 30 minutes in the morning before work trying to understand my notes from the day before. No matter how well I write them, I need to study them, and reread my work from the day before to catch up on where I was. People can call me and ask for the status on their issue, and I'll blank out and refer to my list of pending tasks to inform them. Usually I have no idea what I've done or haven't done, or where I am in doing something. I have to rely on these notes. Sometimes I'm such a space cadet that I forget to write the notes, and then I'm in deep do-do. I'll forget a project or to help someone with an issue, and get in trouble.

Or I'll have to REask a coworker how to do something, usually something either easy or what they've explained 20 times, and look like a retard.

So, if you have any ideas for these issues, please pass them on! Also, since I've already been on WB with no help, I'm going to ask my pdoc to go straight to Adderall. I'm very, very bad at waiting... oh, something shiny!

I was just dx add inattentive(without hyperactivity) and am on 20 mgs of adderall a day. It seems to work really well. I can get stuff done from start to finish without bright shiny objects distracting me or me opting to drool on the couch. So adderall, so far, is awesome. I hope it stays that way. I can really take in info and get stuff done.

Lilie

Archived