Buproprion; manic episode (update 10/23)

It's confirmed:

I've gone full-blown manic (I had to get emergency treatment).

To this day the mania refuses to stop, It's been going 9 days. Rushing sound in ears, can't eat, can't sleep enough. I can still work and perform decent decision making.

(I'm on 150mg lithium twice a day (started 10/18), and alprazolam twice a day (started 10/15). These two help calm things down enough. I don't feel too jumpy 80 to 90% of the time.)

Conclusion / questions:

• I feel like this relentless mania going to take a very long time to resolve-- is that about right, or not?
  • Or have you guys been able to squash a relentless manic burst like this in short order through some means?
  • (obviously I'm not consuming anything stimulating now; I drink water, and just have small protein / carb meals. Try to sleep between 9 and 11pm)

Side-note: Is lithium 150mg twice daily enough to stop this?  I have to key down.  My natural state is: chill all the time-- my goal is to return to that.

Thanks guys for reading.

Edited by ChunkOfCheesecake

• ChunkOfCheesecake changed the title to Buproprion; manic episode (update 10/23)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 1:54 PM, ChunkOfCheesecake said:

It's confirmed:

I've gone full-blown manic (I had to get emergency treatment).

To this day the mania refuses to stop, It's been going 9 days. Rushing sound in ears, can't eat, can't sleep enough. I can still work and perform decent decision making.

(I'm on 150mg lithium twice a day (started 10/18), and alprazolam twice a day (started 10/15). These two help calm things down enough. I don't feel too jumpy 80 to 90% of the time.)

Conclusion / questions:

• I feel like this relentless mania going to take a very long time to resolve-- is that about right, or not?
  • Or have you guys been able to squash a relentless manic burst like this in short order through some means?
  • (obviously I'm not consuming anything stimulating now; I drink water, and just have small protein / carb meals. Try to sleep between 9 and 11pm)

Side-note: Is lithium 150mg twice daily enough to stop this?  I have to key down.  My natural state is: chill all the time-- my goal is to return to that.

Thanks guys for reading.

For me, Zyprexa is a wonder drug at crushing mania, mixed, delusions, and hallucinations. I need at least 10 mg for it to be effective, but YMMV. I normally get relief very quickly (sometimes in as short as a day), but this last time I had to take it for about a month before it fully quashed my mania (but note that it still lessened the severity of my symptoms starting very early on). But then after that, I entered a remission. And without a crash!

Abilify was also very effective for me, but it doesn't work anywhere near as fast as Zyprexa. And I needed 15 mg of that to do anything.

Risperidone was crap for me. Seroquel was a nightmare. YMMV.

Edited by Goofball

On 11/2/2021 at 9:44 AM, Goofball said:

For me, Zyprexa is a wonder drug at crushing mania, mixed, delusions, and hallucinations. I need at least 10 mg for it to be effective, but YMMV. I normally get relief very quickly (sometimes in as short as a day), but this last time I had to take it for about a month before it fully quashed my mania (but note that it still lessened the severity of my symptoms starting very early on). But then after that, I entered a remission. And without a crash!

Abilify was also very effective for me, but it doesn't work anywhere near as fast as Zyprexa. And I needed 15 mg of that to do anything.

Risperidone was crap for me. Seroquel was a nightmare. YMMV.

Wow, Zyprexa works great for you-- did you say you achieved remission after a short time? That's amazing.

(I've been tempted to try Zyprexa when I felt my worst.)

Remission with benzos can take me a year or so (meaning no more bad swings; and the bad feels are gone).

On lithium, I'm feeling better each week. Every once in a while I'll have an hour where I feel like I'm in remission. But it goes away and symptoms return. This is my first time on lithium so I dont know what to expect exactly.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, ChunkOfCheesecake said:

Wow, Zyprexa works great for you-- did you say you achieved remission after a short time? That's amazing.

(I've been tempted to try Zyprexa when I felt my worst.)

Remission with benzos can take me a year or so (meaning no more bad swings; and the bad feels are gone).

On lithium, I'm feeling better each week. Every once in a while I'll have an hour where I feel like I'm in remission. But it goes away and symptoms return. This is my first time on lithium so I dont know what to expect exactly.

Let me be very clear: the remission I have going on currently is a very unusual event these days, and it’s really impossible to know how much the meds had to do with it.* Up until my early 30s, I used to have remissions quite frequently, so that I was about as likely to be in remission as in an episode. But then that all changed. Not only did my symptoms become increasingly worse with age, but the remissions became less and less frequent.

My last remission was 5-6 years ago, and it lasted about a year. Now, whether the meds caused the remission, I couldn’t say, but going off meds definitely ended it with remarkable speed. After going off meds, I immediately could no longer sleep, and a week later I was psychotic, then manic, then mixed, then depressed, etc. And that shitstorm was what I had to live with until May of this year. To be honest, I was seriously beginning to doubt I’d ever have another remission, and then, just when I had pretty much given up all hope, it just happened, as if by magic. I have no idea how long this remission will last, but my pdoc seems to think that a year—or even two—might be possible. In any case, I will not being going off of my medication this time (fortunately the side effects aren’t so bad these days).

Typically, even with medication, I will crash into a depression after a manic or mixed episode. I guess between the Depakote and the Zyprexa, I simply don’t get anywhere nearly as badly manic or mixed these days, so the crashes are much less severe. Then, after a while, the depression typically moderates some, and I’d get stuck there (in anhedonialand) until the next manic or mixed epsiode (typically about once a year). But this time there was no crash. And not even any moderate depression followed, either (not even mild depression, for that matter). So these are uncharted waters for me (my previous remissions always followed a depression, never a mania).

I’m glad things seem to be going well for you on lithium. That worked OK for me for the first few months I took it, but then didn’t do much of anything (besides make me put on a bunch of weight, something it is not known for). As they say, YMMV. Good luck to you!   

*My meds clearly help manage my active symptoms, at least when it comes to mixed/mania and psychosis, but whether they have ever had anything to do with my remissions remains very much unclear. In fact, long ago in the past, I had remissions regularly occur when I wasn’t on any meds at all. That was almost always how it happened, way back when, in fact.

Edited by Goofball

• 4 weeks later...

@Goofball- It's tough to sort out why you feel better, or worse sometimes.

Those patterns you described sound typical in some case, but as you said, atypical in others.

Personally I found the time I went to sleep, what I was doing before I slept (gaming, TV, relaxing), what I ate throughout the day, the stress level for that day -- almost always indicated why I felt the way I did the next day, or that week (or longer).

Changing any of those variables above, changed the outcome of how I felt, drastically (good or bad). So it seems good to make note of those things.

Good to hear about your remission!