CrazyBoards.org

My mom is so in love with herbals and "natural" stuff and thinks I make up my DXes and make them worse with meds! With my new ADD DX, when is very against meds, and thinks I should just try harder to concentrate better (never mind this has been an issue my whole life).

She denies my BP, psychotic symptoms, ADD, even PTSD. The whole works. She thinks some herbal remedy would cure it. She thinks I have a hormone problem (never mind they test this every time I've been to the hospital- 5 times total). Sure, hormone problem! Right there! See, there it is!

It freaks me out. She says "just pop a pill when you feel like shit. come on, just take some klonopin! some Strattera! Lamictal! just take more drugs instead of getting real tests done!".

It makes me crazier than I already am. I need to take extra klonopin around her and end up like a zombie.

LMAO, I chow down the valium around mine as well.  She calls my doctor a drug pusher.  She thinks I need hobbies or babies because I spend too much time focusing on being crazy. 

You don't live with her do you?  Mine is 5 hours away, so it's bearable.

My parents are like that too... They are into herbals and all that. I've tried a few and they didn't do anything. Maybe if I keep trying herbals, something will work... I rather take doc's advice though. My DX's are no joke! It affects my life severely. I need to at least remember to take my multi-vitamins ;)

No parent wants to be faced with their child having an incurable illness that requires medications with uncertain results. I'm guessing your mom really believes that the herbal stuff will work, and she can't understand why you won't try it. She also is probably in denial about the severity of your dx's. The only thing I can suggest is to try to be patient with her and to assertively create some boundaries about the issue. Your therapist can definitely help you with that one if you ask. Good luck!

No parent wants to be faced with their child having an incurable illness that requires medications with uncertain results. I'm guessing your mom really believes that the herbal stuff will work, and she can't understand why you won't try it. She also is probably in denial about the severity of your dx's. The only thing I can suggest is to try to be patient with her and to assertively create some boundaries about the issue. Your therapist can definitely help you with that one if you ask. Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SerraGeorge has it nailed, I think. This is truly the way to go. My mom is much the same way, except her thing is vitamins.

I have a little less patience for things like that. So I told her if she could find me 3 peer reviewed, double blind clinical trials that said ANY combination of vitamins was effective for long term treatment of Bipolar, I'd give it a shot. Until then, leave me alone about it.

Of course, that assumes they believe your diagnosises in the first place. My sister just thinks I'm weak and undiciplined. That if I would just "step up to the plate and take some responsibility for your life", I'd be fine. She thinks I'm hiding behind my diagnosis, and using it to avoid dealing with things. Together, they can have rather the "InfoNut's a piece of shit" ho-down.

Loon, I guess I'm with SerraGeorge. Bring it up with your tdoc, and build some rules about your interactions with them. Many people think family is the most important thing you've got. I happen to think sanity is most important. I limit contact with my family for sake of my sanity.

I.N.

Last time my ex got on one of her herbal/natural kicks I told her I'd start smoking weed and snorting coke again if it'd make her happy.

That put a stop to that nonsense.

Never had any problem out of my mom over it though.

She wants nothing to do with a pill unless at least a few of the ingredients don't exist anywhere in nature. ;)

All of you have great thoughts and ideas! My mom thinks my pdoc is making up my disorders, that I am NOT BP1 w/psychosis or have ADD. Hasn't it been obvious my whole life that I'm a nut case!?

I should suggest to her that I should smoke pot (I've never done drugs) because it is "natural". ahahahh!!!

She's seen me in psychosis, high mania, low depression, crazy mixed episodes, and knows what a space cadet I am. What's wrong with HER?

I agree with SerraGeorge. Denial that her child has serious, incurable illnesses that require probably life-long medication.

She smokes. How natural is that? I'd take the pot first if "natural" is the criteria! lol

-- loon

Archived