Choices

My insurance changes Jan 1. My current therapist does not take the new insurance, but she said she can file for continuation of care where the insurance provider would cover her services. She needs more info about the new insurance that I do not have yet.

There is another therapist that does take the new insurance and is highly recommended. I have seen him briefly for some psychological testing. I really wanted to continue with him but he was not in my insurance plan.  He retires in 2023, so if i go with him I will have to find a new therapist then.

I don't know if I am picky or what but i have trouble finding therapists I am comfortable and want to work with.

So, if the continuation of care is approved should I stay with my current therapist?  I like her. We mainly stay in the present and what is happening in my life now.  Or do I switch to the other, who has a lot of experience with trauma?. I had childhood trauma and am not sure how much it is resolved

Edited by confused

17 hours ago, confused said:

So, if the continuation of care is approved should I stay with my current therapist?  I like her. We mainly stay in the present and what is happening in my life now.  Or do I switch to the other, who has a lot of experience with trauma?. I had childhood trauma and am not sure how much it is resolved

This is just my opinion, but if it was me in this situation, I would stay with my current therapist if the continuation of care is approved....You like her, and feel comfortable with her, and IMO, that's important.

The other therapist that you're considering, is going to retire in 2023, so if you were to switch to him, you would have to find another therapist in 2023, which is not that long from now.

That's just me, though.......You have to decide what would be the best option for you.

Thank you.  That makes logical sense but I am still unsure.

I sent an email to current therapist telling her about the one I am contemplating seeing and asked if she can offer similar services.  She has not got back to me yet.  I guess we can talk about it at my next appointment.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, confused said:

My insurance changes Jan 1. My current therapist does not take the new insurance, but she said she can file for continuation of care where the insurance provider would cover her services. She needs more info about the new insurance that I do not have yet.

There is another therapist that does take the new insurance and is highly recommended. I have seen him briefly for some psychological testing. I really wanted to continue with him but he was not in my insurance plan.  He retires in 2023, so if i go with him I will have to find a new therapist then.

I don't know if I am picky or what but i have trouble finding therapists I am comfortable and want to work with.

Personally- the retiring in 2023 might be a hang up for me. Idk hmmm if you know when In 2023 but it seems like a lot of work- both administrative and emotional, to have the relationship end just as your Cementing it. Idk where you live, but have you looked for anyone else who treats trauma in the area? Not ideal but might give you some freedom if the continuance of care becomes problematic.

also - you’re not picky I’ve always felt (and I feel like I’ve said it a million times on CB) that one or the hardest parts of MI is finding the provider right for you. I met my current Tdoc when she was working at my college clinic and sought her out when she left the school- she mostly works with clients In nursing homes and does evaluations on elementary kids... I think I am her only full-time client not in those populations which sounds red flag-ish on paper but she’s a great fit for me. 

• Like 1