Walking down the mania trail; poll

Thought I would ask what everyone's experience was with traveling down that trail of full-on mania.

• How long it lasted until you reached the clearing? (you know, when you could calm the hell down to extent and achieve stasis).
  • What were some pitfalls (things to watch out for) along the way?

Me:

In 2007 I had an extremely brief interaction with Effexor, and switched into a manic state. I want to say the initial strong unrelenting mania lasted for 2 to 4 months. After that, I was cycling strongly for a year and a half with bad dreams. Maybe by 2009 to 2010 I had some sort of stasis to build from and never looked back (tried not to any way).  Sadly, I've triggered another manic state, and I'm toiling with that now.

What are you on for a mood stabilizer? I was taken off Lithium about 5 years ago because of possible kidney issues. I was cycling with severe mania for many months, despite trying every stabilizer in the book. I ended up on a cycle of ECT and then have been back on Lithium.. This worked! Good luck.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, ChunkOfCheesecake said:

Thought I would ask what everyone's experience was with traveling down that trail of full-on mania.

• How long it lasted until you reached the clearing? (you know, when you could calm the hell down to extent and achieve stasis).
  • What were some pitfalls (things to watch out for) along the way?

Me:

In 2007 I had an extremely brief interaction with Effexor, and switched into a manic state. I want to say the initial strong unrelenting mania lasted for 2 to 4 months. After that, I was cycling strongly for a year and a half with bad dreams. Maybe by 2009 to 2010 I had some sort of stasis to build from and never looked back (tried not to any way).  Sadly, I've triggered another manic state, and I'm toiling with that now.

Are you being followed by a pdoc? Once I got a good relationship with my doc and  a chance to breathe between episodes (mostly due to clozaril working) I’ve been able to somewhat preempt deviations one way or the other, almost like my own person protocol. For mania- step one is Benzo short term to help with irritability, step two is temporary clozaril increase (temporary because once I come down it  will make me a zombie) and step three is add a sedating second AP. For depression, first is wait and watch, second is adding an AP for depression, I’ve had mild to moderate success with Latuda or vraylar, and step three is ketamine. Through trial and error I know that antidepressants are almost always a no-no. Anyway, sorry for the digression. What have you tried for the mania? There are a bazillion options these days 

For me, it generally lasts between a few weeks and a few months. But up to 6 months is possible (and that could be preceded by an extra few months of hypo on top of it). I’ve had some really short episodes, too. Both the much shorter and much longer manias almost always occur in the context of a much larger mixed episode, however.

Edited by Goofball

Hey guys,

To answer your questions:

I was put on 150mg lithium twice a day, and some benzos. The bad feels and mania have tamped down quite a bit-- it's been less than 2 weeks. My brain is still stuck in a manic episode, I can feel it. And yes, I expect some hypo to kick in the coming weeks to months before settling completely down.

Off-hand observation:  When I'm stuck in a serious manic episode, eating food makes it much worse. You guys experience this? It happened the other day.

(Also, what happened: I went to the hospital because the mania kicked in strong with unrelenting ideation. Caught me off guard. I'm wrenched with guilt, and still in shock. Normally I have almost no problems, it's only when I mess with meds)

On 10/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, ChunkOfCheesecake said:

Hey guys,

To answer your questions:

I was put on 150mg lithium twice a day, and some benzos. The bad feels and mania have tamped down quite a bit-- it's been less than 2 weeks. My brain is still stuck in a manic episode, I can feel it. And yes, I expect some hypo to kick in the coming weeks to months before settling completely down.

Off-hand observation:  When I'm stuck in a serious manic episode, eating food makes it much worse. You guys experience this? It happened the other day.

(Also, what happened: I went to the hospital because the mania kicked in strong with unrelenting ideation. Caught me off guard. I'm wrenched with guilt, and still in shock. Normally I have almost no problems, it's only when I mess with meds)

It has been many years since I was on lithium, but I seem to recall 1200 mg being the initial dose. I think that was just once a day, but maybe it was twice. In any case, your 150mg x2 seems very small to me. My memory could be faulty, however. 

As for eating making your mania worse, I have never noticed any relationship between my mood and how much or how little I eat. How much I make or order, on the other hand, is a totally different matter. I might order food for a large family (I’m just one), and throw the leftovers away. Most every day. For weeks or months on end. Or I might make a similar abundance of food, and throw much of it away, too. What I like with mania is a tremendous variety of food, not just from one day to the next, but also within each meal. 

All of the variety, and all of the waste never leave my pocketbook in good shape. Strangely, I enjoy food considerably more when I’m hypo, rather than when I’m full-on manic. I find that a little odd, since my euphoria while fully manic is infinitely* greater than my euphoria while hypo. Maybe it’s because I’m much more distracted. IDK.

*Obviously an exaggeration, but the difference is ginormous.

Edited by Goofball