Not leaving house or speaking to anyone?

For me, having dogs is huge.  We live in an apartment, so I have to go out with them, can't just throw them into the yard.  That gets me out multiple times a day.  It doesn't always help my mood or psychosis, of course, but it does get me outside.

57 minutes ago, jarn said:

For me, having dogs is huge.  We live in an apartment, so I have to go out with them, can't just throw them into the yard.  That gets me out multiple times a day.  It doesn't always help my mood or psychosis, of course, but it does get me outside.

I can imagine. I wish I had the space that would allow for a dog... a reason to go out.

Just curious, if you didn't have a dog, would you avoid going out? (due to mood or psychosis?) or would you use another type of coping mechanism or reason (although I'm assuming you have a job which requires you to go out...)

I was probably something like a hikikomori for quite a few years. That's a Japanese term for extreme social, withdrawl which suggests that I was an Otaku, which I wasn't. Although I know what an otaku is, which makes me some form of nerd. But probably a bit of agoraphobia, and definitely depression and social anxiety. Barely left the house or spoke to anyone outside my immediate family for years. Walking down the road to the shops could be an ordeal. But I'm doing better now. Far from perfect but ... One of the things which got me used to going out was actually taking my mother's dogs for a walk. I recommend dogs. But you don't have space for dogs. Hmm. The dogs are just a reason for going out. Can't let them down with walkies. But you can still go out every now and then for other reasons. I guess that might be difficult but you can challenge yourself to go the nearest shop and buy something you need every week. Just getting out is the best way to overcome it, and it becomes easier with time. I mentioned how it was an ordeal to walk down to the shops at one time. You can get over that. The other week I got on a bus to get to my college. Missed my stop and ended up going across the river to the next town. Had to take the train back to get there in time. I told this to my class mates and they laughed. At one time everything about this story would've caused embarrassement and self-loathing in me. It only caused a moderate amount of embarrassement and self-loathing, and I could laugh about it. I'm pretty far from living a normal and healthy existence in so many ways, but going out and speaking to people isn't such a problem anymore. It's possible. Sorry for the length of this reply.

Edited by Fluent In Silence
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 9:06 AM, jarn said:

Sometimes a push can be helpful, I imagine. I rarely even go out my front door. 

Edited by Goofball

• 1 month later...

I'm new here, so please forgive any rudeness, which I do not mean.

Leaving the house isn't a problem.  My problem is with people.  Humans.  I can handle bear, wolves, snakes, and most other dangerous creatures without a problem or even fear, but people...that's another story.  So, at current, I am forced to go out once a week for supplies.  I would go out less, if I could.  Say, resupply once a month.  Anyway, I can go out without people and do fine.  I often go hiking in the woods, during safe months.  But, when hunting season starts, it is safer to stay in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Michael Strange said:

Leaving the house isn't a problem.  My problem is with people.  Humans.  I can handle bear, wolves, snakes, and most other dangerous creatures without a problem or even fear, but people...that's another story.  So, at current, I am forced to go out once a week for supplies.  I would go out less, if I could.  Say, resupply once a month.  Anyway, I can go out without people and do fine.  I often go hiking in the woods, during safe months.  But, when hunting season starts, it is safer to stay in. 

No rudeness taken 😉  BTW I agree - people can REALLY suck these days.... For me it is not anxiety or fear. I'm often either beyond depressed or horrified at how people behave... outwardly selfish, arrogant, unkind, irrational, ignorant, judging, etc. Uncompassionate.

Wasn't it Jean-Paul Sartre that said 'Hell is other people' 😜   It all makes me really appreciate animals.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, Michael Strange said:

It is the people who are the problem rather than being out in the great wide world. I used to fantasise about living in the woods, far from the fucking maddening crowd, and that seemed good, except for the fact that I have no survival skills and would starve to death in a couple of weeks if I didn't die from exposure first. Plus it's hard to find wilderness in the UK so I'd probably just be hiding in some bushes at the side of a motorway. It was never a realistic dream is what I mean. But the point is that it is people. At the time when I was at my most reclusive it would've been easier to walk down the road during a zombie outbreak. They might want to eat my brains but at least I won't think they're judging me. But people aren't thinking about you or judging you as much as you may think. They're mostly not paying any attention to you. Which can also be bad if you have a mind as neurotic as mine. No-one's paying attention to you because nobody cares. Although it would be odd to have a heartfelt and meaningful conversation with someone while you're waiting in line to buy potatoes (Couldn't think of a better example. Queuing to buy potatoes? Do I live in the USSR?).

But you're so rude Michael! Such misanthropy will not stand here! Nah you're OK. Complaining about how shit people are... you are very welcome here. As long as it's the human race in general and not a specific group you're golden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

It is the people who are the problem rather than being out in the great wide world. I used to fantasise about living in the woods, far from the fucking maddening crowd, and that seemed good, except for the fact that I have no survival skills and would starve to death in a couple of weeks if I didn't die from exposure first. 

6E5BDAB2-F7F5-4C0A-95F9-9EDD8B51B74D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1