CrazyBoards.org

explain wireless

Hi All,

Im having a little panic thing going on. and then i started thinking about my laptop and it being wireless.

currently also going through a CA thunderstorm - which is completely different than in florida. odd to explain.

so - i unplug the electrical outlet. and then i think - parents house is wireless. so i suppose the router would be unplugged - but then i wouldnt have a connection, correct?

and what is all this invisible wireless mumbo-jumbo anyway? waves of some kind of special invisible something?

thanks!!

dumbass december

Adding this onto what AM said about securing your wireless.

If you can find your instruction manual, there's typically an IP address you can type into internet explorer that'll bring you to options for most routers.

If you don't have it, run a traceroute and the first ip you hit should be your router. ;)

If you don't do anything else, add a password.

It'll get your neighbors off and make too much of a nuisance to anyone trying funny stuff.

They'll typically just pass you up for one of the tons of non-passworded wirelesses.

As a side note, I took a laptop one day and went around the small town I live in out of curiousity.

Hit over a hundred wireless networks. Only 3 had any security.

No one is going to bother the secure ones...the pickings are too easy on the unsecured.

If you can find your instruction manual, there's typically an IP address you can type into internet explorer that'll bring you to options for most routers.

If you don't have it, run a traceroute and the first ip you hit should be your router. ;)

It'll get your neighbors off and make too much of a nuisance to anyone trying funny stuff.

They'll typically just pass you up for one of the tons of non-passworded wirelesses.

As a side note, I took a laptop one day and went around the small town I live in out of curiousity.

No one is going to bother the secure ones...the pickings are too easy on the unsecured.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there somewhere on the web that explains this for idiots? I'm finding the XP documentation confusing, which is really not saying much for my cognitive functioning these days.

I also want to create a secure wireless connection without an ISP.  IOW, I have a desktop that I want to give to someone who does not have a phone or cable (my kid's dad). So I'm wondering, what kind of router do I get? Is it different from the one I have? Etc....

I guess I seriously need a book for what I'm trying to learn about home networking. Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there somewhere on the web that explains this for idiots? I'm finding the XP documentation confusing, which is really not saying much for my cognitive functioning these days.

I also want to create a secure wireless connection without an ISP.  IOW, I have a desktop that I want to give to someone who does not have a phone or cable (my kid's dad). So I'm wondering, what kind of router do I get? Is it different from the one I have? Etc....

I guess I seriously need a book for what I'm trying to learn about home networking. Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I don't know if by XP documentation you mean actual books that came with your pc or online stuff, but here is Microsofts instructional page on how to do these kinds of things

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...ed/default.mspx

Also, check out cnet's wireless resource center

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7363_1-6361076-1.html?tag=txt

Also, here is a UK based forum where you can find some good info about networking (but I wouldn't advise actually joining there and asking a question yourself - they are not always the nicest folks)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17205432

If you need a forum to ask basic questions, I used to go here and they were nice to me

http://forum.networktechs.com/index.php

I used to be a mod for a UK based PC overclocking forum that is no longer around, but I still have a few friends who are really geeked out so if it comes down to it, if you have a question no one here can awnser I have a guy I can refer you to that I trust who can tell you how to do about anything - just email me if it come to that :)

PS for everyone - if you have wi-fi get a password on your system at the very least!!!!!!!!!! If you don't people will be ripping you off and stealing your bandwith!!!!!!

I used to be a mod for a UK based PC overclocking forum that is no longer around, but I still have a few friends who are really geeked out so if it comes down to it, if you have a question no one here can awnser I have a guy I can refer you to that I trust who can tell you how to do about anything - just email me if it come to that ;)
Thanks, HG, I will check out those links...depression is clogging my brain right now too, which doesn't help matters. At all. S9

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So he doesn't have any sort of broadband or dial up connection? Unless he wants to leech off his neighbors, he'd need some sort of broadband connection to hook up to the wireless router. The wireless router then can broadcast the broadband to any computer with a wireless network card within range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So he doesn't have any sort of broadband or dial up connection? Unless he wants to leech off his neighbors, he'd need some sort of broadband connection to hook up to the wireless router. The wireless router then can broadcast the broadband to any computer with a wireless network card within range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I been reading a lot (smell the smoke from my fried brain) and it seems you CAN create a wireless secure, mobile, connection if you have the right kind of router? Wimax? do any of you all know about this technology? As I understand it, it's not dependent upon hot spots.

I've been reading IT soulutions mostly for wireless, mobile technology, but I figure if you can get it to work for a laptop...I guess the bottom like is, if a service provider IS necessary, e.g., not dependent upon hotspots, etc., need for more security, etc., then what are the options? Verizon has a card for a laptop and a service for 70 bucks a month, no thanks too much money. I don't mind paying something for the service part of pie, but I want to know who the providers are and what packages they offer etc. How it works.

As I said, the focus of my research thus far has been totally wireless, secure networking.

The desktop I have has sufficient horsepower, to do whatever. It's new. provided by the school Little E is homeschooling with. But his dad is a flake and sick, both MI and physically, has no money and lives in a one room abode. Cell phone, and cable through a jack in the wall. that's it. It's not as abyssmal as it sounds, primitive would be more the word. He wants to help me school this child, and as he is a genius nutball, I would appreciate this help very much. His degrees are in Math, while my Math is about on a 5th grade level.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to get him online at minimal cost and effort for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I been reading a lot (smell the smoke from my fried brain) and it seems you CAN create a wireless secure, mobile, connection if you have the right kind of router? Wimax? do any of you all know about this technology? As I understand it, it's not dependent upon hot spots.

I've been reading IT soulutions mostly for wireless, mobile technology, but I figure if you can get it to work for a laptop...I guess the bottom like is, if a service provider IS necessary, e.g., not dependent upon hotspots, etc., need for more security, etc., then what are the options? Verizon has a card for a laptop and a service for 70 bucks a month, no thanks too much money. I don't mind paying something for the service part of pie, but I want to know who the providers are and what packages they offer etc. How it works.

As I said, the focus of my research thus far has been totally wireless, secure networking.

The desktop I have has sufficient horsepower, to do whatever. It's new. provided by the school Little E is homeschooling with. But his dad is a flake and sick, both MI and physically, has no money and lives in a one room abode. Cell phone, and cable through a jack in the wall. that's it. It's not as abyssmal as it sounds, primitive would be more the word. He wants to help me school this child, and as he is a genius nutball, I would appreciate this help very much. His degrees are in Math, while my Math is about on a 5th grade level.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to get him online at minimal cost and effort for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know about Wimax. I just looked up some info and it sounds pretty cool. There's none in my area. Is Wimax in his area? It looks like you still have to pay for Wimax service and is limited in availability. Though some places I see are offering free Wimax service as a trial period to test their service.

This is a good site to find the services available in your area:

http://www.dslreports.com/psearch?e=Complete+Search+Form

db,

trying looking at it this way.

the wireless router that plugs into the wall is, quite literally, a radio station. it transmits its signal and any radio that is tuned to the right frequency (or channel) can hear the signal. this radio station can also receive other radio station's signals.

your laptop computer is also a radio station just like the plug in one. these radio stations send radio signals back and forth to each other. that's your internet connection. the signals being sent are the information that makes the images and text you see in your web browser.

but like with all radios, any radio within range can also hear the signal. this is bad with wireless computers because you don't WANT anyone else to hear it.

but you can't run around and turn off everyone else's radios, so what you do is you encrypt the radio signals being sent between the two radios. doing this just changes the language they are speaking so that only they can understand each other. every one else can still hear the signals but they can't understand it.

and hey presto, problem solved.

saturnnine, a cable connection for tv would suffice for broadband. so far as i am aware you WILL need an isp though. piggybacking on someone else's unencrypted wireless connection is dodgy at best, illegal at worst.

grouse.

saturnnine, a cable connection for tv would suffice for broadband. so far as i am aware you WILL need an isp though. piggybacking on someone else's unencrypted wireless connection is dodgy at best, illegal at worst.

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, not even an option. I don't even want to do it *legally* with wi/fi hotspots. I want something more secure. We'll see what I find out thar. And with the help of my geek friends and their geek friends (geek being a good thing) hopefully I can get it figured out most efficiently and more importantly, economically.

Thanks!

S9

no prob. security on a wireless system is really quite straightforward in concept though. you must encrypted the transmissions from both the router and the laptop so that neighbouring computers cannot piggyback on your router.

encryption (WEP) is most commonly done using a secret numerical key that is shared by both the router and laptop. it is best to connect the laptop to the router via an ethernet cable (standard network cable) to set the key the first time though. that way you know that no other computers will have the key.

once this is done the security is really quite good.

grouse

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I apologize for the very late response. Thank you all for your help & suggestions.

The router is a "family" one meaning multiple computers & people in the house use it.

Im not worried about someone stealing my identity - in fact, i encourage it as the stealer will only make me better. (dudes - im bankrupt - for real. steal my identity for a 75% interest rate).

i will let the rest of the family worry about themselves.

thank you for the explanation of how wireless works. I am really thankful.

love,

db

Archived