CrazyBoards.org

I am going to see my Dr next week.

I’m going to ask my NP to get off abilify and remain on rexulti along with Zyprexa zydis. 

I have been needing a better PRN for a long time too. So, I am going to ask her for a separate PRN AP or AAP instead of PRN clonazepam.

I was thinking either:

1. saphris

2. Thorazine

3. stelazine

4. loxapine

I’ve only tried saphris off that list. (And it made me so hungry but is it the safest?) Anyone know anything about or have experience with any of these at all? (Or have other ideas?) I’m looking for something very calming. I’m scared of TD too. But if it’s PRN only…..?

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

17 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I’m going to ask my NP to get off abilify and remain on rexulti along with Zyprexa zydis. 

I have been needing a better PRN for a long time too. So, I am going to ask her for a separate PRN AP or AAP instead of PRN clonazepam.

I was thinking either:

1. saphris

2. Thorazine

3. stelazine

4. loxapine

I’ve only tried saphris off that list. (And it made me so hungry but is it the safest?) Anyone know anything about or have experience with any of these at all? (Or have other ideas?) I’m looking for something very calming. I’m scared of TD too. But if it’s PRN only…..?

as ive mentioned a million times, i like thorazine in emergency use situations, but sometimes you bypass calm and go to full zombie. also many providers won't touch it (which might mean they also wouldnt touch stelazine) did you do saphris prn or standing dose? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I was thinking either:

1. saphris

2. Thorazine

3. stelazine

4. loxapine

I have tried Thorazine as a PRN for anxiety in the past.....And like @Iceberg said, it can zombify you, and many pdocs won't even prescribe it........The other 3 you mentioned I have no experience with.

I have also tried Seroquel as PRN for anxiety, and stopped that because, for me, it caused a lot of weight gain.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

as ive mentioned a million times, i like thorazine in emergency use situations, but sometimes you bypass calm and go to full zombie. also many providers won't touch it (which might mean they also wouldnt touch stelazine) did you do saphris prn or standing dose? 

I’m sorry @Iceberg. I tend to get stuck on subjects (obsessively). No excuse though. I thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

To answer your questions, I guess maybe I shouldn’t ask about Thorazine or stelazine then. Saphris I took as a daily dose when I was on it. I ate the fridge clean after taking it then I slept. Weirdest thing. 

I was thinking. I take all my AAP’s at bedtime except my Zyprexa zydis is a split dose - AM and bedtime. Maybe I need something during the mid day to hold me over until I go to bed? I could ask my NP if I can take Zyprexa zydis 3 times a day? 10 mg AM, 10 mg noon, 10 mg bedtime? Or maybe I could ask to take my 2nd Zyprexa zydis 15 mg at supper time and abilify at noon and rexulti still at bedtime. I might need something like trazodone or remeron for sleep, but if it would mean better days for me….sign me up! I have been having trouble sleeping anyway because of voices and messages in the evening and then bad thoughts because of the voices and messages. It is a bad loop.

If you have any thoughts or wisdom or experience about any of this mess, it would be greatly welcomed and appreciated!

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I have tried Thorazine as a PRN for anxiety in the past.....And like @Iceberg said, it can zombify you, and many pdocs won't even prescribe it........The other 3 you mentioned I have no experience with.

I have also tried Seroquel as PRN for anxiety, and stopped that because, for me, it caused a lot of weight gain.

Thank you CRH. @CrazyRedhead I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience! I don’t know if I should ask for Thorazine anymore then. I have had an idea to ask my NP if I can take my AP’s during the day instead of taking all of them at bedtime and see if I do better. I also think I need something for sleep because I am having a lot of voices and messages in the evening and this results in a lot of bad thoughts and etc etc. Then it’s very hard to fall asleep like that. I was thinking trazodone or remeron. I’ve only taken trazodone in the past with some luck.

And, I do very much understand your experience with seroquel! I don’t want to take that ever again. I took it for maybe 10 years. I gained a ton of weight. I have since lost 70 lbs from switching to Zyprexa zydis instead (along with still remaining on abilify and rexulti). It’s been a journey to say the least!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I’m sorry @Iceberg. I tend to get stuck on subjects (obsessively). No excuse though. I thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

Nonononon that wasn't directed at you! you didnt do anything wrong.

49 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I could ask my NP if I can take Zyprexa zydis 3 times a da

i used to do this. 20 pm and then 5 x 2 PRN during the day. Honestly, it just made me drowsy with no real benefit 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Thank you CRH. @CrazyRedhead I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience! I don’t know if I should ask for Thorazine anymore then. I have had an idea to ask my NP if I can take my AP’s during the day instead of taking all of them at bedtime and see if I do better. I also think I need something for sleep because I am having a lot of voices and messages in the evening and this results in a lot of bad thoughts and etc etc. Then it’s very hard to fall asleep like that. I was thinking trazodone or remeron. I’ve only taken trazodone in the past with some luck.

And, I do very much understand your experience with seroquel! I don’t want to take that ever again. I took it for maybe 10 years. I gained a ton of weight. I have since lost 70 lbs from switching to Zyprexa zydis instead (along with still remaining on abilify and rexulti). It’s been a journey to say the least!

As @Iceberg said, taking the Zyprexa Zydis during the day might cause drowsiness......It seems like you do need something during the day, though.......When do you take your Gabapentin?

I have been taking Trazodone  for sleep for about 6 years, and it's worked well for me......Although if you decide to try Traz, I would suggest start out at the lowest dose possible, maybe 25-50mg, because you do have room to go up on it a bit if a small dose is not effective......Trazodone is weight neutral for me.

Remeron can possibly cause sugar cravings and weight gain for some folks, especially at the lower doses......That's why I stopped Remeron, although you might not have that problem with it, so it might be worth a try..

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I was thinking either:

1. saphris

2. Thorazine

3. stelazine

4. loxapine

Just curious @Wonderful.Cheese ... What is the rational of being on 3 A/Ps: Abilify, Rexulty and Zyprexa? Seems like a bit overkill, I'd think you'd get a lot of side effects. I dunno, I'm not an expert by any means.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Nonononon that wasn't directed at you! you didnt do anything wrong.

i used to do this. 20 pm and then 5 x 2 PRN during the day. Honestly, it just made me drowsy with no real benefit 

Thank you iceberg! I misunderstood. Sorry! That’s the trouble with text I guess!

To answer you, honestly Zyprexa doesn’t sedate me. I mean it calms me and helps me, I do feel that.

I take it right when I wake up and I’m fine. I do have some caffeine in the morning but no more caffeine during the day usually.

And I technically still have 5 mg X 2 PRN that my NP left on for the heck of it of Zyprexa zydis too. I don’t really take that usually though because I too don’t find much benefit from it. 

20 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

As @Iceberg said, taking the Zyprexa Zydis during the day might cause drowsiness......It seems like you do need something during the day, though.......When do you take your Gabapentin?

I have been taking Trazodone  for sleep for about 6 years, and it's worked well for me......Although if you decide to try Traz, I would suggest start out at the lowest dose possible, maybe 25-50mg, because you do have room to go up on it a bit if a small dose is not effective......Trazodone is weight neutral for me.

Remeron can possibly cause sugar cravings and weight gain for some folks, especially at the lower doses......That's why I stopped Remeron, although you might not have that problem with it, so it might be worth a try..

Thank you CRH! Oddly Zyprexa doesn’t sedate me. Isn’t that odd? I take it currently 10 mg AM and at bedtime.

And thanks for telling me about trazodone. I have been off and on it for years. I don’t know if I need it every night. I wonder if I could take it as needed? Hmm.

That’s too bad about remeron. I definitely don’t need to be gaining any weight. No thank you. Yikes. I will steer clear of that one I think. Unless my NP really feels it would be the best for me. Hmm. 

On 11/16/2021 at 2:02 PM, Blahblah said:

Just curious @Wonderful.Cheese ... What is the rational of being on 3 A/Ps: Abilify, Rexulty and Zyprexa? Seems like a bit overkill, I'd think you'd get a lot of side effects. I dunno, I'm not an expert by any means.

@Blahblah I have treatment resistant psychosis according to drs who have treated me. I also have disabling mood disorder and disabling anxiety disorder.

I don’t have side effects from the meds that I’m aware of. My dr monitors me for that too. Thank you though for your concern. I have tried almost everything for my treatment resistant psychosis (even clozapine). So if taking 3 AP’s means no more state hospital stays for me, sign me up. 

4 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Thank you CRH! Oddly Zyprexa doesn’t sedate me. Isn’t that odd? I take it currently 10 mg AM and at bedtime.

And thanks for telling me about trazodone. I have been off and on it for years. I don’t know if I need it every night. I wonder if I could take it as needed? Hmm.

That’s too bad about remeron. I definitely don’t need to be gaining any weight. No thank you. Yikes. I will steer clear of that one I think. Unless my NP really feels it would be the best for me. Hmm. 

That is unusual that Zyprexa doesn't sedate you.....And yes, you could just take the Traz as needed...Some folks do take it like that.

It is too bad that Remeron has that possible weight gain side effect for some people....If your NP does feel it's the best one for you, though, you could just try it as a PRN.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 2:01 PM, Iceberg said:

@Wonderful.Cheesei think you posted about caplyta once did that go anywhere ?

Thank you iceberg. No, it didn’t go anywhere. I am not sure if it will be a future possibility or not.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

That is unusual that Zyprexa doesn't sedate you.....And yes, you could just take the Traz as needed...Some folks do take it like that.

It is too bad that Remeron has that possible weight gain side effect for some people....If your NP does feel it's the best one for you, though, you could just try it as a PRN.

Thank you CRH. I know, right? I lose weight on Zyprexa zydis and I don’t get sedation from it. That is unusual! Thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...