CrazyBoards.org

Hi guys,

As a long time forum moderator I thought I'd post some good and bad news that came out of my last three sessions of psychotherapy with my psychiatrist.

The good news is that my diagnosis has been reduced from a range of tags (Panic Disorder, OCD, Major Depression) to just one.

The bad news is that I have been diagnosed with undifferentiated schizphrenia.  As it turns out my disordered thought, voices that I hear telling me to do bad stuff etc are not clinical obsessions but are indeed part of a long term psychosis which I have been suffering from.

As it turns out, the other issues (panic attacks, intrusive thoughts, depression) are symptoms that result from my psychosis. 

So yeah, I have schizophrenia.  I've probably had it for around 2 years now, maybe a little more. Its good to have found the root cause of my problems so we can now focus on treatment of the causes rather than the symptoms.  Its also a lot easier to say I have condition x rather than y,z et al.

I have been on 1500mg seroquel/daily for about a month now (but have been on a lower dose for a year prior) and I have responded really well to it; however due to the weight gain issues I am currently migrating from paxil to prozac and soon from seroquel to abilify.

Sometimes I feel fine about all of this; other times I feel really weird, like Im crazier than crazy.  Still, its only a label for the same old me.

CM,

You have always been so very helpful and friendly. I am really glad you know the root cause of your difficulties and I sincerely hope that your symptoms will ease some now.

You are the same old you, and hopefully you will be a better you. Don't feel weird about your dx. Rather than having lots of dx's and nothing improves much, maybe now you will have just one that will.

Thanks for letting us know and I wish you all the best. Hope you stay on the OCD boards! Just because you don't have it doesn't mean you don't know everything about it! Ha!

Sam

Yeah, the initial response may be sadness, but at least you have a definite to go on now and can get the appropriate treatment. And,hey, as bad as schizophrenia sounds to the "normal" population, we here know it's just a different set of symptoms/diagnosis to be treated. We've all got something here. I certainly don't see it as worse, just different.

And I agree with Sam, you're so knowledgeable and helped so many, I hope you stick around the ocd and benzo boards. Glad you finally got an answer. Good luck with your treatment.

Croix

Hey guy.

I can imagine that even with all you've been thru that getting a sz diagnosis can still leave you feeling a little stunned.

It does seem to make more sense than so many disparate symptoms.  If anything you are already proof positive that schizophrenia doesn't mean one is unable to continue with life.

Best to you.

A.M.

Hi Chimpy,

You were really nice to me in my one and only encounter with chat back at the old forum, and back then we didn't know we shared a Dx.

I must say that you write well given your Dx.

Did you know that us Aussies are among the most crazy people in the world? Schizophrenia affects about 1.5% of our population compared to 1% in most of the rest of the world.

Our shithead of a Prime minister has actually just done something worthwhile and pumped an extra 1.8 billion dollars into mental health and has asked the states to match that figure.

I really don't know what I was going to say.

Dan

Hi Chimpy,

You were really nice to me in my one and only encounter with chat back at the old forum, and back then we didn't know we shared a Dx.

Did you know that us Aussies are among the most crazy people in the world? Schizophrenia affects about 1.5% of our population compared to 1% in most of the rest of the world.

Our shithead of a Prime minister has actually just done something worthwhile and pumped an extra 1.8 billion dollars into mental health and has asked the state gov's  to match that figure.

Dan

Hi Chimpy,

Our shithead of a Prime minister has actually just done something worthwhile and pumped an extra 1.8 billion dollars into mental health and has asked the state gov's  to match that figure.

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now Dan,

You're one of a kind too.  Knowing you has always been a pleasure.  Must be because of my son, but you're the only one  around this joint, I always feel like hugging!  (It would be typical of my luck if you're a  non-hugger). 

I realize writing is a struggle for you, and I notice you make the effort - costlier than it appears - to reach out when you feel needed. 

You can  edit and critique your clarity of writing. That  suggests a special kind of neurological malfunction to me. That's a good sign.  Many people with sz do not know when they aren't making sense to others. I've never read anything from you that was not completely clear -  probably clearer than lots of my over-writing. 

There are many really great sounding meds in the works,  BTW. They  show a lot of promise of  hitting  cognitive deficits and negative symptoms.  Some are aimed at  glutamate receptors, among many others.  I expect in at most ten years (seems like forever) there  will be  a new set of much better meds to attack this brain disease.  They might even be specific to treat different symptoms.    Hang in there.

rt

Chimpy,

I imagine hearing the new Dx must have been a little shocking but also offered some peace of mind as well.

Glad you let us all know. Label-masable, you're always be the same old Chimpy to me.

Erika

Guest Guest_blackbunny19_*

hi chimpmaster,

sorry you had to be givin the schiz diagnosis, but im sure it will help to know what's really going on so you'll get the right treatment.

your story kind've reminded me of myself. I was givin lots of other diagnosis's before schizophrenia. including; depression with psychotic features, social anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, auditory processing disorder, ADD, Generalized anxiety, depersonalization.

Archived