CrazyBoards.org

im borderline and bipolar, im 24 have had significant documented symptoms since my early teens.

my docs tell me that this disorder is more common among young women, and u can "grow out" of it in a way. where the bipolar is more a fixed thing, the personality disorder is something that can be more likely treated and cured.

Now this is what i have heard from docs, anyone else heard anything like this? Is this a younger womens illness??

some doctors say this is true, some do not.

i personally beleive that with a stable and supportive environment, some of the symptoms can improve, but the only way to truly overcome the disorder is through a lot of work in therapy. this is, of course, just my opinion.

i went off on this issues (wich a lot more foaming of mouth) in this thread discussing somewhat the same topic.

i do not think it is a young woman illness b/c a)it affects more than women and b)there are adult women with it. it is a serious disorder, not a phase. but i shall shh b/c i go off plenty in the thread i linked.

take care of yourself

penny

thanks for that link it kinda answered my questions in part any way.

i tend to agree with u and your stance on this penny.

i really dont see myself growing out of this at any time soon in my life. Its not that i wouldnt love to just stop this but i really feel like it goes well beyond my control at the moment and with out any real med help i see myself needing a lot of therapy and docs visits to get through this cause i am really suffering at the moment, and although i have taken the first step and admitted "i have a problem" i still have a long way to go to fix it.

I am diagnosed with BPD and am currently 19 years old.  I realize that that isn't quite old enough to talk about any sort of experience of either growing out of or lack of growing out of the condition.  I happen to think that, with the right treatment, you can learn to cope with a lot of emotional issues and overcome a lot of your symptoms, but i do not think that someone can just "grow out of it."  I sure don't feel that way, at least.  I can and probably will say more, but I must finish studying for the test I am pulling an all-nighter for... woohoo 

I think we've all heard it's way more a young woman's disorder. I'm late 20's and this is the most probable dx I've gotten in a year and a half. Most likely where the dx's of GAD, anxiety, ptsd, and insomnia stem from.

I haven't heard that it's something you "grow" out of. But the older you get, the more coping skills you naturally aquire or get through treatment. Therefore it automatically calms down. Did that make any sense? I haven't had my coffee yet.

Croix

Archived