CrazyBoards.org

I'll ask my doctor for more Ritalin

Right now I am taking 2 Ritalin one in the morning at 8 am and one at 1 pm. Btw, in my country Ritalin is a highly controlled substance. And I can understand why. After taking my first tab in the morning I feel cheerful and optimistic for about 1-2 hours. Then I get into a very sluggish state in which nothing interests me. When it is 12:30 pm or 1:00 pm then I take my second tab and gradually I begin to feel more and more buoyant. At around T+40mins I start to get a warm feeling in my chest and an increased motivation and drive to get more work done. This lasts for around 2 hours to 2 and a half hours but doesn't taper off as abruptly as the morning one does but it does eventually kind of fizzle out.

My doctor is completely unaffected by my pleas, bargains and ploys. He does only what his mind says and no matter how much I may beseech him he just shrugs it off like nothing.

Edited by the maze runner

• the maze runner changed the title to I'll ask my doctor for more Ritalin

Are you only taking immediate release? Many people have the same problem, a typical tolerance issue. The initial effect is a great boost, but with regular use the effect diminishes (as far as improving mood/ interest in my case). Sometimes I can't even tell if it's working. Lately, the only effect is increased focus/attention on one thing. And the IR can feel a bit "crashy" when it wears off.

to combat, you can try to take breaks (weekends or a few days off) or add the extended version which (supposedly) lasts twice as long. I take a combo - extended in morning, and IR in afternoon/early evening as needed.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:23 AM, the maze runner said:

Right now I am taking 2 Ritalin one in the morning at 8 am and one at 1 pm. Btw, in my country Ritalin is a highly controlled substance. And I can understand why. After taking my first tab in the morning I feel cheerful and optimistic for about 1-2 hours. Then I get into a very sluggish state in which nothing interests me. When it is 12:30 pm or 1:00 pm then I take my second tab and gradually I begin to feel more and more buoyant. At around T+40mins I start to get a warm feeling in my chest and an increased motivation and drive to get more work done. This lasts for around 2 hours to 2 and a half hours but doesn't taper off as abruptly as the morning one does but it does eventually kind of fizzle out.

My doctor is completely unaffected by my pleas, bargains and ploys. He does only what his mind says and no matter how much I may beseech him he just shrugs it off like nothing.

How long have you been on the Ritalin?   @Blahblah had some good suggestions......

Some docs do have their own personal limits on dosages of certain meds....They won't increase the dose beyond a certain point that they feel comfortable with.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I don't know how much of a tolerance i have developed i take first 10mg in morning 8 am then at 11 am and then at 2 pm. This basically gets me in a focused mood for the duration of the work day.

One effect I notice of methylphenidate is that i become very persistent and dogged in my work. Like I have increased tenacity. I think this is probably directly due to the dopamine increase. Not sure if I am right or wrong about this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 5:30 AM, the maze runner said:

Actually I don't know how much of a tolerance i have developed i take first 10mg in morning 8 am then at 11 am and then at 2 pm. This basically gets me in a focused mood for the duration of the work day.

One effect I notice of methylphenidate is that i become very persistent and dogged in my work. Like I have increased tenacity. I think this is probably directly due to the dopamine increase. Not sure if I am right or wrong about this.

Yep... increased tenacity/persistence is the exact word to describe it. I USED to get a happy/bright/chipper mood and more motivation to move through important tasks I always avoid, but now all I'm feeling is an extreme focus on 1 thing.

Completely unable to multitask or switch tasks. I must direct my focus VERY intentionally after I take a dose, otherwise I'll  get hung up on researching some arbitrary thing online, or attending to a non-important task (like organising a kitchen drawer so it's perfect) for HOURS... I fall into a rabbit-hole. After this "trance" like state, I realise I've also lost all sense of time and end up not really achieving much because of it.

I get obsessive & use this energy to do housecleaning or something really not important in that moment. And then there's some irritability after it wears off.

Anyone relate?

On 1/8/2022 at 2:10 AM, Blahblah said:

Yep... increased tenacity/persistence is the exact word to describe it. I USED to get a happy/bright/chipper mood and more motivation to move through important tasks I always avoid, but now all I'm feeling is an extreme focus on 1 thing.

Completely unable to multitask or switch tasks. I must direct my focus VERY intentionally after I take a dose, otherwise I'll  get hung up on researching some arbitrary thing online, or attending to a non-important task (like organising a kitchen drawer so it's perfect) for HOURS... I fall into a rabbit-hole. After this "trance" like state, I realise I've also lost all sense of time and end up not really achieving much because of it.

I get obsessive & use this energy to do housecleaning or something really not important in that moment. And then there's some irritability after it wears off.

Anyone relate?

you put it very well. yes the focus is strong. i have just been relieved of my job(contractual) and i am spending my days playing and obsessing over chess. whenever i play i just get immersed in it and frequently feel mesmerized by it. unfortuanately and i wanted to create a new thread for this there are diff brands of ritalin where i am and i just got another brand which i find not as good for focus but tad more euphoric. I wanted to ask has anyone felt different on different brands of the same molecule.